Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Question about pots again

willow

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 7:20 am
I am down to one pot with the wrong lid for meat.
I am going to the states for Pesach. I am
wondering if I should just buy here or buy in the states.
Either way I know it is going to be expensive because I want a decent pot(s)
So where do you think I can get decent pots cheaper? And which brand

P.s Also looking for a good knife set that isn't too bad $$$

JewishMother18

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 7:56 am
you should start seeing some great deals in the supermarkets and hardware stores in the lead up to Pesach - the shufersal chain often have two-day sales that have greatly reduced hardware - I bought a great pan a few weeks ago for 70% off!

fiddle

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 8:21 am
I would say wait for when u go back to the states. or keep checking online every now and then - there are way better pots for way better deals there and online then any store here has to offer.

yes there are the more expensive pots here, But I dont think they can compare to any Kitchenaid or Cuisinart set for example

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 10:54 am
Do you want a set or do you have spec sizes in mind ?

willow

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 5:11 am
I want a set.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:42 am
Are you sure that's going to be enough ? Think of what you make. Do you make a big soup? Big cholent? Tsimees for yomtov, etc.

willow

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 5:17 am
No not one pot a set one of each basic size.
We just got a huge frying pan as I gift so I don't need that anymore. Just the rest

Tamiri

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 8:34 am
Willow, first consider what the pots will weigh and if you will have enough allowance in your luggage to take them home with you.
Next. go to a consumer review site such as epinions, and research which pots people recommend. In my past life, I would have gone into Fortunoff (sniff, no longer in existance), Crate and Barrel, Williams Sonoma, Bloomingdales etc. and seen what they had to offer. Then, I would go online and look for the best deal in the pots/knives that I wanted, including finding a coupon if available. Sometimes Bloomies would be cheapest if they had a sale+ coupon.
When it comes to sets, you may not like what they offer. Some sizes are just not realistic for a Jewish family, if you know what I mean. What was mentioned about a soup pot... you will probably need at least one huge one, which won't come in a set. One set I got had 2 fry pan sort of things, which is usually not necessary. If you buy pots individually, it will cost you much more. If you buy in a set, you may get something you can't use. All that must be considered.
Also, I don't know the size of your family but keep in mind that a meal with 8-10 will probably be standard for you one of these days. Even if your own family isn't that large, other people come with lots of baggage :D . When I invite a family these days, we are usually nearer 15 than 10 to cook for.

Marion

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 8:45 am
Tamiri wrote:
Willow, first consider what the pots will weigh and if you will have enough allowance in your luggage to take them home with you.
Next. go to a consumer review site such as epinions, and research which pots people recommend. In my past life, I would have gone into Fortunoff (sniff, no longer in existance), Crate and Barrel, Williams Sonoma, Bloomingdales etc. and seen what they had to offer. Then, I would go online and look for the best deal in the pots/knives that I wanted, including finding a coupon if available. Sometimes Bloomies would be cheapest if they had a sale+ coupon.
When it comes to sets, you may not like what they offer. Some sizes are just not realistic for a Jewish family, if you know what I mean. What was mentioned about a soup pot... you will probably need at least one huge one, which won't come in a set. One set I got had 2 fry pan sort of things, which is usually not necessary. If you buy pots individually, it will cost you much more. If you buy in a set, you may get something you can't use. All that must be considered.
Also, I don't know the size of your family but keep in mind that a meal with 8-10 will probably be standard for you one of these days. Even if your own family isn't that large, other people come with lots of baggage D . When I invite a family these days, we are usually nearer 15 than 10 to cook for.

I only partly agree with this. I had 4 complete sets of pots by the time we'd finished announcing our engagement. All frying pans had to be purchased separately. One "set" included a 16qt (L) huge soup pot, which I put away for Pesach. It's toivelled, but it hasn't been used yet. Yes, I've made seder. Maybe because my kids are still little, but we don't eat much soup. A 3L pot makes enough soup for us (and guests) for 2 meals. And more than one frying pan is ALWAYS useful.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 8:50 am
Marion, needs change over the years. And I have yet to figure out what to do with two fleishig frying pans. One is not a frying pan, I don't know what it is. Not a dutch oven. Maybe saute pan? It's huge and heavy and big enough for when I make shnitzels. The other is a regular sized frying pan, coated, and definately NOT big enough for our currents needs. Maybe when we are down to being 2 again.

drumjj

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 8:59 am
when I lived in israel I bought the most amazing pan set in geula foor pesach I wish I had a set like that for all yr. I personally wouldnt want to have to pack heavy pans in a case. waste of weight allowance

willow

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 4:40 am
Thank you all I am going to talk it over with dh and see what points he agrees with. You all gave me a lot to consider.

mamacita

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 6:34 pm
I've had saltam and t-fal pots and have been very happy with them. They scrub up beautifully.

I got some for a good deal at the mashbir either at kenyon malcha or on rechov King George.

Marion

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 1:03 am
In this week's local (MA) paper I saw ads for sets starting at around 100NIS (Sheshet maybe?), and a flyer for haStock with individual sizes starting at 30NIS. Might be worth looking into. Luggage allowances are going DOWN, and many airlines no longer accept "cargo" (anything packed in a box rather than a suitcase)...as we learned the hard way.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 1:50 am
There are some amazing sales on Farberware pots in Brooklyn now.
The Farberware pots can handle very heavy cooking and really last.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen