Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What does Itta mean?

grateful613

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 11:30 am
We just b"H had baby girl! named her Basya Itta. Itta after my great-grandmother. I know its yiddish but I dont know what Itta means. Anyone looked into it?

6coop

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 12:16 pm
My grandmother's name was Ita, and we were using the name for my dd, so we tried to do a lot of research on it, but all we were tolr by the rebbeim that we asked is that it's probably just a Yiddish nickname (which may or may not have originated from Gitta/Gittel) and basically has no specific meaning.
The Complete Dictionary of English and Hebrew First Names by Kolatch says that it's a corrupt (don't you love that word) Yiddish form of Yehudis, but no rav we asked could verify that. (By the way, the Kolatch book also says that it's Celtic name meaning "thirsty", but I don't think that that's what you were looking for.)

Liba

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 12:20 pm
We had a rav research this for us before we named my daughter (my great grandmother was Ita) and was told that it was a Yiddish nickname for Esther.

We named our daughter Esther and my son (who has some speech issues) shortened it to Ita and it stuck.

Smile

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 12:54 pm
Mazel Tov!

One of my (many) names is Ita.

shosh

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 2:08 pm
My grandma's name was Ittel (which I would think is a form of Ita). What's funny is that her mother was deaf and she used to call her Edie. (The t became a d- so it sounded like Eedy.) My grandma's English name was Edith, and this is how she referred to herself, so my mum always thought her Hebrew name was Edie. That was until we were looking at a picture of her tombstone and saw that it said "Ittel" on it, and my mother realised she had been mistaken about her mum's Hebrew name. That was about thirty odd years after she had passed away! I can understand how the mistake was made, but it's interesting how that can affect a name.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 2:16 pm
I also learned that Itta and Itka are yehudit. But it seems that there are other possibilties.
Mazeltov!

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 4:07 pm
My sister in law is called Itta but was named Yitta at birth.

risa

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 4:23 pm
we named our daughter yutta (yitty) named after s/o who was called yutke. all of these, etta, ita, yitta, and such, are a derivative of esther.

grateful613

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 10:32 am
Thank you for all the input! It seems there is different ideas so we may not get to the bottom of it but its fun to research it! thanks to all Smile

grateful613

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 10:34 am
6coop wrote:
My grandmother's name was Ita, and we were using the name for my dd, so we tried to do a lot of research on it, but all we were tolr by the rebbeim that we asked is that it's probably just a Yiddish nickname (which may or may not have originated from Gitta/Gittel) and basically has no specific meaning.
The Complete Dictionary of English and Hebrew First Names by Kolatch says that it's a corrupt (don't you love that word) Yiddish form of Yehudis, but no rav we asked could verify that. (By the way, the Kolatch book also says that it's Celtic name meaning "thirsty", but I don't think that that's what you were looking for.)

thanks! My friend told me the Kolatch def. too. I actually like the thirsty def. My version is " thirsty for H' "
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names