Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do I Have a Kashrus Problem or Not?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 1:59 pm
This morning a house guest had a Starbucks coffee in my house. I don't hold by drinking coffee at "coffee places" unless they are kosher (no offense to those who do). He has this hot coffee, on my fleishig counter, and I asked him about it, and he said it was pareve. But then I started wondering, I don't think he went to Starbucks this morning, I think he is recycling a cup that he used there yesterday. If THAT were the case, then he would have poured hot water from my small pot that he used in the morning to boil his own coffee, and I am worried about steam rising up from his cup, or water possibly spilling over onto my counter. OR it could have been a brand new Starbucks cup, since he is running around and traveling a lot, he could have asked them for a (brand new) extra cup, made his morning coffee here, and then poured it into the brand new cup. It is one safeik after the next!!! I guess I could call him and ask him, but I don't have his number and he is leaving today back home. I also don't want to offend him, I know he is very frum and careful about things. What should I do? I feel like if I call a Rav he is going to think I am crazy!!!

Inspired

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 2:03 pm
Your whole house is treif. Burn it.
Alternatively, call your rav.
As an aside, how can you say no offense to those who drink in coffee places then imply that the coffe from there is so treif that bliyoos in the steam from an empty cup might be a kashrus problem?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 2:17 pm
There is no need to be mean. I'm asking for help, not sarcasm. Exploding anger And I did not only mention steam, I mentioned possible spillage onto my countertop. Also one of the main things in this situation is all the sfeikus, which is a main issue as to whether or not to call a Rav.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 2:30 pm
He said it was pareve so it proabably had soy or no milk and that is probably how he usually drinks it, but you'd have to ask your lor.

cassandra

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:
There is no need to be mean. I'm asking for help, not sarcasm. Exploding anger And I did not only mention steam, I mentioned possible spillage onto my countertop. Also one of the main things in this situation is all the sfeikus, which is a main issue as to whether or not to call a Rav.

The sfeikos are in your favor. Sfeik sfeika l'kulah.

Oh yeah, and what Inspired said.

Inspired

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:

Oh, scuse me, I meant taam in the new hot water from the washed out and reused disposable paper cup..... Twisted Evil

Inspired

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 2:45 pm
Oh, and please don't say or do anything that might embarrass him over this without first consutling your rav. Causing him embarrassment would be assur.

imabima

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 6:23 pm
Inspired wrote:
Oh, and please don't say or do anything that might embarrass him over this without first consutling your rav. Causing him embarrassment would be assur.

Why are you being so mean? She thinks it might be a kashrus issue. Let her be and if you are insulted in some way by someone else's kashrus question, be a bigger person and ignore it. I just don't understand why you are being such a bully.
And don't mock people who ask sheilos either.

OP:
Call your Rav, but to me it seems like if he said it was pareve (ie black or with soy) then he probably always has it this way because to coffee drinkers, usually only "black" drinkers can drink black!

Inspired

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 6:30 pm
imabima wrote:
Inspired wrote:

Why are you being so mean? She thinks it might be a kashrus issue. Let her be and if you are insulted in some way by someone else's kashrus question, be a bigger person and ignore it. I just don't understand why you are being such a bully.
And don't mock people who ask sheilos either.

OP:
Call your Rav, but to me it seems like if he said it was pareve (ie black or with soy) then he probably always has it this way because to coffee drinkers, usually only "black" drinkers can drink black!

She isn't asking qa shaila. thats what I advised her to do. It isn't mean to suggest she not do something she stated she was considering doing.

Why atre you being so meeeaaannn to me???? waaa.

snow_white

Post Mon, Nov 01 2010, 11:03 am
It sounds like even if he did have milchig coffee the day before in the same cup, it would have been unused for 24 hours (from previous morning to current morning). In which case, the taam is pagum and you don't have to worry about bli'os.

In fact, his pouring hot water into his "non-kosher" cup would have been a form of kashering his cup (hagala-esque)!

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Nov 01 2010, 11:10 am
When in doubt ask. Your questions are not silly. Rabbonim won't (aren't supposed to) make you feel that way - even if and when the psak ends up that there was nothing to be concerned about. Imamothers, that's another story Rolling Eyes

You are to be commended on your honest committment to Kashrus, v'al yeivosh mipnai hamaligim (the first siman in SA ie the foundation of all Yiddishkeit). Thumbs Up

Last edited by TzenaRena on Mon, Nov 01 2010, 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, Nov 01 2010, 11:17 am
Who on earth would save a dirty disposable starbucks coffee cup to reuse 24 hours later? That seems far fetched to me. Can you just ask him if he went this morning or not?

imabima

Post Mon, Nov 01 2010, 12:27 pm
amother wrote:
Who on earth would save a dirty disposable starbucks coffee cup to reuse 24 hours later? That seems far fetched to me. Can you just ask him if he went this morning or not?

My husband does it occasionally.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen