Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Help the Vegetarian (again...)

wispalover

Post Thu, Nov 18 2010, 9:03 pm
I bought cube beef stew for Shabbat. I want to serve it friday night, and make it in my crockpot.

The rest of my menu is matza ball soup, cauliflower, potatoes, rice.. my friend is making chicken. What can I make that isnt too matza ball soup like (with carrots, onions etc) and is a really tasty dish?????

EsaEinai

Post Thu, Nov 18 2010, 10:10 pm
I dont understand- are you looking for vegetarian main courses? this is posted in the meat section so im not sure what youre asking? im a vegetarian and there are a lot of yummy things you can make. I made potato bourekas, spinach angel hair pasta, and some salads so far that are non meat. my all time favorite protein and filling food is vegetarian moussaka (a patchke, so only if you have time) and majadra (rice with lentils). I hate filling up on carbs so I like to make sure I have a complete protein. rice + lentils = protein. shabbos is more limiting than other nights of the week, but ive made tofu with sauteed onions and bodek broccoli with brown sugar and soy sauce- its amazing. serve over rice, double yum. even my husband, who doesnt really like anything tofu-ish likes it.

wispalover

Post Thu, Nov 18 2010, 10:43 pm
Ha Ha. No. I dont know how to cook the meat, since I am vegetarian! I didnt grow up eating or cooking meat, so I need a good recipe that is TNT (since I wont try it or test it lol)

Reality

Post Thu, Nov 18 2010, 10:52 pm
If it is for friday night why does it have to be in a crock pot? Why not a stir fry with onions, mushroms, brocoli...

Reality

Post Thu, Nov 18 2010, 10:53 pm
Instead of brocoli you could use french cut string beans (frozen not canned) That is really good! And it looks pretty too!

artikidove

Post Thu, Nov 18 2010, 11:13 pm
throw it in the crock pot with potatoes and barley - voila! you have beef stew (if you don't want to call if cholent)! my husband loves friday night cholent so I do this often. you can add beans/onions/every spice in your cabinet...its cholent so put in whatever you have lying around. some nice spice blends (that make me personally nauseous but is always a huge hit with the guests) onion soup mix, ketchup, paprika, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder. or if your crowd likes spicy food use a mix of taco sauce, horseradish, apricot jam, mustard and the above mentioned spices (minus the onion soup mix/ketchup)
for the record I think cholent is the nastiest food ever. and I don't say that about many things. but I make it every week...
I was a vegetarian before I got married and it is still hard for me to figure our what to do with meat.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 5:07 am
If it's cubed beef stew meat, all you need is to cook for long time over slow flame with plenty of liquid.

Start with sauteeing 2 onions, roughly chopped, and cut up carrots. Add meat (about 1lb) and brown all over. Add 1 tin of chopped tomato, 2tbsp soy sauce, a bit of dry red wine and enough liquid to cover. Cook covered for 2hrs or more. You can add potatoes for the last 1hr of cooking, frozen peas for the last 15min of cooking. Good served with noodles or rice. Can someone else taste before serving?

Raisin

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 8:48 am
I would do what mrs bissli said. yum and easy and pretty foolproof.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics