Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Arthur Episode about Aspergers

Seraph

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 4:08 am
Just thought I'd share this-
Theres an Arthur episode that teaches kids about Aspergers syndrome. I thought it was a relatively decent way to teach kids about this, and help them understand why kids with Aspergers Syndrome act the way they do.

My only negative comment about it is Carl's reaction to the giraffe seemed overblown to me, but maybe thats because the people I know with Aspergers have low grade aspergers.

Anyhow, if your kids watch movies or even if they don't, especially if there's anyone in their class with Aspergers, this movie might help them learn to understand this classmate better.

Dev80

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 4:29 am
Thumbs Up Cuz I've always loved arthur!! (I didn't watch them the clips as I'm trying to do a quick imamother browse...which is never really so quick but oh well)

Seraph

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 4:35 am
I also always loved arthur. Its one of the most level headed and educational shows out there, imo, and teaches good morals too.

zipporah

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 4:43 am
Seraph wrote:
Just thought I'd share this-
Theres an Arthur episode that teaches kids about Aspergers syndrome. I thought it was a relatively decent way to teach kids about this, and help them understand why kids with Aspergers Syndrome act the way they do.

My only negative comment about it is Carl's reaction to the giraffe seemed overblown to me, but maybe thats because the people I know with Aspergers have low grade aspergers.

Anyhow, if your kids watch movies or even if they don't, especially if there's anyone in their class with Aspergers, this movie might help them learn to understand this classmate better.

We saw this episode! It really helped me understand, too... the analogy about how it's like being on an alien planet where people are really loud and use words you know but that seem to have different meanings.

Seraph

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 4:55 am
Yea, that was definitely a good analogy. :-D I also think adults should watch this, not just kids. :-D
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)