Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yenty? Help with nickname please.
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Isramom8

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 10:41 am
I'm sorry, but Yenny sounds like yenne, as in a medical disease.

shoshina

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 10:45 am
What about a middle name? Name for the grandparents, fine, but then she can be Yenta-Rina or whatever and be called by her middle name day-to-day

yentaof8

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 10:55 am
It's my middle name too (hence my screen name) and it never bothered me nor was I ever teased. Then again, I didn't go by it either. Still, it might be the best compromise to have a second name to be called by.

amother

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 11:03 am
OP here.

The thing is that she is my grandmother. She recently passed away. If I won't give the name, I'll seriously hurt my parents.

Adding a name is also not an option. She was an elderly special and talented woman.

I can so not imagine calling a newborn baby Yenty!

Thanks for all your suggestions and keep 'em coming!

Isramom8

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 11:06 am
The Yenty who left 1000 descendents? If so, she will have other babies carry her name. Yours can carry her good middos, and a name that reflects hers in some way

amother

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 11:13 am
Adina has the same meaning as Yenta

overthehill

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 11:15 am
amother wrote:
Adina has the same meaning as Yenta

Adina means "fine", I believe, Yenta does not.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 11:27 am
I thought yenta means noble. Ruchel is the queen of name info, maybe she'll post Smile

shevi82

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 11:34 am
I think Netty someone mentioned is cute. If you're very chasiidesh the name will not stand out too much.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

The thing is that she is my grandmother. She recently passed away. If I won't give the name, I'll seriously hurt my parents.

Adding a name is also not an option. She was an elderly special and talented woman.

Is that because of your grandmother or the name?

auntie_em

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 11:55 am
What did people call your grandmother? Did they call her Yenty or did she have another name she was known by to her friends?

Would it be possible to discuss with your parents that you are worried she will be teased from her name? Anyway, is it so common for kids to use the word yenta to describe someone? I don't think I have ever heard little kids saying that.

And kids will find ways to tease each other, no matter what. They will make up rhymes for names, even if it makes no sense, and even if the kids name is something like David.

I like the suggestion of Yennie if you do decide to give this name. Like someone else said, you will love the baby and come to love the name.

lkwdmommy

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 12:08 pm
Yenta is from Yentel which means Gentle-similar to Adina.

amother

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 2:03 pm
I know such a cute yenty! you "forget" that her name is yenty

amother

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 2:05 pm
Funny thing was, this was the name of my grandmother's mother, & my grandmother said, please don't use the name. Pick something pretty like Yonina, like some of the people in her shul, who would just pick any name that started with the same letter. We tried to explain that in our circles, Yenta was much more likely to fit in than Yonina.

So, we called Rav Dovid Cohen Shlita, the name 'mumche' we call with all name shaylos. He said Yenta probably comes from Juanita (as in Juan, John, Jonathan, Yonatan) & advised us to name Yocheved.

When Yocheved was just a few months old we moved out of town & our kids enrolled in a day school where Yonina would have fit in just fine.

('cept when we want to tease her we call her Yocheved Yenta...)

But really, she is much more a Yocheved than a Yenta. Wonder if she would be different if her name was Yenta?

amother

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 3:45 pm
Now how did the name Yenta get the negativity?

Isramom8

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 4:08 pm
lkwdmommy wrote:
Yenta is from Yentel which means Gentle-similar to Adina.

In that case use Barbara.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:
OP here.

Thanks for all your suggestions and keep 'em coming!

I don't think adding a name should be an issue if you feel inclined to do so. It's up to you and your husband and if you feel you want to add a name, that's your choice.

CK2

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 5:00 pm
I didn't read all the responses but you can call her Yenny or Yeny - not sure how to spell it.

runninglate

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 5:12 pm
ive heard of someone called yetty. Not sure if her full name was yenta. Op, I totally umderstand ur prob with adding a name. I gave my daughter an unusual name after my grandmother and my mother was insulted at the thought of my adding a name to it.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 5:42 pm
Yenta or Yentel comes from the French 'gentil' which means 'good' like 'Gittel' and 'Tova'.

Yenty is a very cute name. If you liked your grandmother, you'll love your own little Yenty too. Naming after someone is good for the neshoma of the deceased, so much so that they would even try to help from above the child who is named after him/her.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names