Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Does anyone else find this tacky and slightly bothersome?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:17 pm
I've been noticing for a while that there are certain members relatively new to Imamother who promote their businesses through their screenames. I don't want to point fingers at anyone or start any loshon hara, but I feel that this site is being misused in this way.

For example, these members are ONLY posting in response to threads that request information form their forte (imagine recipes - only answering posts having to do with recipes, often providing a link to the website or an exact copied recipe). I'm sure in theory, it's ok and not against any of the rules of Imamother, but I'm just finding it bothersome. If you want to promote your business, use a paid ad. If you want to use Imamother for the resources and social aspect, go ahead. But to become a member with a screenname related to your business aand ONLY posting things about your business?

I don't know, it doesn't sit well with me at all...

WDYT?

das

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:21 pm
Tacky? Yes. Bothersome? Who cares? Just dont click on their site if your not interested. If their pming you thats another story...

amother

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:25 pm
I dunno, I just feels that it really takes away from the specialness of having such an incredible site. Maybe it's because of what Imamother has done for me that I am a little sensitive about this.

Does anyone else out there share my feelings?

amother

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:29 pm
I don't care if they use it to as long as it makes sense to the conversation. If someone is asking for recipes are they just linking the site or an actual recipe?

If someone is asking to buy a new snood - do they just write come visit my website or do they link a specific snood they think is a good snood.

Does that make sense? If its specific I don't mind at all - it could be very helpful. If its general then its no help at all. I could google a snood store or a recipe website.

lamplighter

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:29 pm
Ya it irks me too.

amother

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:33 pm
amother wrote:
I don't care if they use it to as long as it makes sense to the conversation. If someone is asking for recipes are they just linking the site or an actual recipe?

If someone is asking to buy a new snood - do they just write come visit my website or do they link a specific snood they think is a good snood.

Does that make sense? If its specific I don't mind at all - it could be very helpful. If its general then its no help at all. I could google a snood store or a recipe website.

To me, it's not a matter of whether the content being posted is helpful or not. It's the fact that the ONLY posts by these members are about their business. They will ONLY post if someone is asking about snoods, and then they will post a photo and a link to their site. Or they will ONLY post in response to someone askign for a recipe...and then they write out a whole recipe (same format every time) and link to their site. There's no friendly chit chat, getting to know you, or asking for advice. It's just all about...well...business. Rolling Eyes

Isramom8

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:34 pm
This is the culture we live in. Promote yourself at every opportunity. Imamother becomes just another social networking tool.

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:36 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
This is the culture we live in. Promote yourself at every opportunity. Imamother becomes just another social networking tool.

So sad...Imamother is so special because it's NOT that...or at least it hasn't been until now.

Sherri

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:45 pm
Hm, yes and no. On the one hand, it does make Imamother feel like another social networking tool vis a vis promotion. How awful if more and more women get the same idea- it's annoying, to say the least.

On the other hand, there aren't links provided without a full answer, but actual great answers given for the questions posted (in the posts that I have seen and am thinking of- correct me if I am wrong).

So the poster and whoever is reading that thread (presumably because they are interested) will gain. Many people use those sections primarily to just get what they need at that particular time, those aren't the community/discussion parts of Imamother. Nobody will say that they feel so connected to all the posters through the recipe and snood sections.

Last edited by Sherri on Mon, May 23 2011, 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Merrymom

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:46 pm
You know I want to hear about your business, it gives you a little more legitimacy if you're a regular poster. If you're only posting about your business then your account should be deleted.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:51 pm
I do think it's misusing this site. I noticed this in one specific section here and I thought it was weird. Maybe a bit desperate, but I guess people are just trying to make a buck...

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:51 pm
I totally agree with you, OP. How would that translate into a normal social setting? Imagine sitting at the park with a bunch of other mothers, and one mother only joins in the conversation to promote her business...
I don't know about you, but she would definitely irk me.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 5:22 pm
Question for Yael. Put them on Ignore if you want.

amother

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 6:12 pm
It bothers me too. I feel like it's being forced sit through a commercial. It bothers me even more, a lot more, when in some of those posts they leave out the information that they are the owner of such a business.

Amother because I reported such a post recently. I don't know whatever came of it, if anything.

cc

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 6:32 pm
I didnt notice what youre talking about.
I did notice that once yael introduced a new poster who was a paid business saying it was besides her regular name. That she came on this business name to answer questions but she was also a diff regular poster.

lamplighter

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 6:40 pm
I "listen" or take advice more readily from posters who I recognize. If all you contribute is your advertising it is of little value to me. Sort of like Barnes and Nobles telling me the best electronic reader is the nook.

Isramom8

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 6:50 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
I totally agree with you, OP. How would that translate into a normal social setting? Imagine sitting at the park with a bunch of other mothers, and one mother only joins in the conversation to promote her business...
I don't know about you, but she would definitely irk me.

Oh, but people do. "Omega 3 is amazing, and btw, I sell it, and so can you..."

lamplighter

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 7:08 pm
but that's not advice that's advertising.

If the thread was asking where to buy something, such posts are called for, otherwise it's biased information that is frankly unhelpful.

Wow OP, guess this bothers me too Smile

life'sgreat

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 8:32 pm
I don't see the big deal. It bothers me a tad, but not enough to get worked up over. If I don't like it, I just scroll on by. I think worrying about getting paid ads is Yael's job.

amother

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 8:52 pm
I haven't personally seen this yet, but I would think the only ones who'd come up with such an idea may already BE members of the site who want to maintain privacy, and disconnect their regular SN from their business. So I wouldn't assume they're only plugging their product and not taking part in other conversations, but it may only appear that way under a second name. I wonder if these posters only have very few post counts from mentioning their products...

Anon as I have NOT done this, and don't need anyone assuming I'm one of them Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette