Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Bosch questions

mom2six

Post Fri, Jul 01 2011, 3:20 am
I recently upgraded from a Kenwood Chef to a Bosch so that I would be able to make enough for hafrashas challah. When I purchased the Bosch, I was shown 2 different sizes, and I took the larger one. The saleswoman told me that it could easily hold 3 kg of flour. I've been putting in just over 2 kg of flour and it's all fine--until it rises. When it rises, it goes way out of the bowl and onto the counter and makes a big mess. I end up throwing out the dough that was on the counter because it gets dirty (my kitchen ain't the cleanest) and it also dries out. This week, I put the bowl into a garbage bag to avoid that, but surely there's a better way to do this? What do all you Bosch users do? You don't switch it to a bigger bowl to rise in, do you? That seems like a big pain in the neck.

My next question--my Kenwood came with 3 mixer pieces--a beater, a K hook, and a dough hook. I would use the K hook for cakes. The Bosch only comes with a beater and a dough hook. What do you use for cakes? I used the beater last week but it didn't come out too great.

TIA!

In the kitchen

Post Fri, Jul 01 2011, 3:33 am
I transfer the dough to rise in a big greased metal bowl. I actually like it better this way because then the beater is already out of my way when I want to braid the dough, and I can put away the machine and clean it right away before it become difficult to clean.

My bosch came with 3 pieces and 2 bowls, the plastic bowl (for cakes) came with two pieces, the beaters and another one, the other one is what I use for cakes.

b'hatzlacha!

anonymrs

Post Fri, Jul 01 2011, 4:27 am
I agree with In The Kitchen. I also have a Bosch and I move the dough to another bowl to rise, I can't imagine any mixer bowl being big enough to rise 2kg. Also, there should be another piece that serves the same function as the Kenwood K-hook to use for cakes.

jewels

Post Fri, Jul 01 2011, 8:57 am
I also switch my dough into a big greased bowl, same reason as Inthekitchen, I like washing it right away, otherwise it becomes impossible to clean. As far as cakes I don't really use the Bosch for the same reason you didn't like it, I don't love the beater attachment. I'll either use my Kitchen Aid or just a hand mixer.

nylon

Post Fri, Jul 01 2011, 12:40 pm
I use a KA, not a Bosch, but I was always taught to put the dough in a separate, clean, oiled bowl to rise. I actually use a plastic container--it has straight sides that make it very easy to see when the dough is doubled.

life'sgreat

Post Fri, Jul 01 2011, 1:12 pm
Obviously the bowl isn't meant to hold the amount of risen dough. I transfer it to big bowl as well as soon as it's done mixing.

mom2six

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 3:06 am
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I have to go out and buy a big bowl. Is there any reason why some of you specifically use metal?

I checked online and saw the batter whisk piece for cakes. I wonder why mine didn't come with it. I'm going to order it--it's only about $12 for the pair.

Bliss

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 3:44 am
I used to let my dough from 6 lb flour rise in the original bowl and had no problem. I did have a problem containing all the ingredients while mixing so I stopped using my Bosch for challah.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 6:18 am
I have no problems letting 5lbs of challa dough rise in my magic mill.

mom2six

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 8:59 am
Bliss, how is that? Did you keep punching it down every time it rose out of the bowl?

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 10:00 am
mom2six wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I have to go out and buy a big bowl. Is there any reason why some of you specifically use metal?

I checked online and saw the batter whisk piece for cakes. I wonder why mine didn't come with it. I'm going to order it--it's only about $12 for the pair.

I think it's just easier to handle? Not sure. If you have an Ikea next to you, their big stainless steel bowl is awesome!

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 10:00 am
Bliss wrote:
I used to let my dough from 6 lb flour rise in the original bowl and had no problem. I did have a problem containing all the ingredients while mixing so I stopped using my Bosch for challah.

The trick to that is to start by mixing it slowly, so I'd turn it on, off, on, off a few times until it was a mush and then there's no issue in containing it.

boruchhashem

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 1:19 am
I transfer my dough to an oiled clean garbage bag to rise. No bowl to wash afterwards.

myself

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 6:12 am
boruchhashem wrote:
I transfer my dough to an oiled clean garbage bag to rise. No bowl to wash afterwards.

I do that too, not on a garbage bag though, just a new, clean plastic bag. It's so much simpler. Once the dough is set aside I wash the bowl and beaters and then there's no more cleaning!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen