Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
For those who vaccinate - a question
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

If Gardasil and /or Varivax became mandatory, would you give them to your children?
Yes, because it would be mandatory and I follow all doctor's advice.  
 22%  [ 13 ]
Yes, if I researched them and decided they were safe and effective.  
 30%  [ 18 ]
No, one or both would be going beyond my comfort zone, and I would opt out (of at least one).  
 47%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 59

leomom

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 3:04 am
This poll is for people who do vaccinate. Thanks!

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 3:29 am
I refused Varivax because it hasn't been proven yet. And I'd outright refuse Gardasil because of all the horror stories I've been hearing.

leomom

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 3:42 am
But in general you vaccinate and do as your doctor recommends?

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 3:49 am
I've read the scare stories as well...then I go look at the statistics.

One reason I think the movie is propaganda is because of the sob stories they use.

The girl who became ill after the Gardasil? She became ill a MONTH later.She has also been diagnosed with lupus. It is not uncommon to diagnose lupus in adolescents.

Would I recommend it for my daughters? Not at this stage. Wait a few more years.

leomom

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 3:59 am
HindaRochel wrote:

One reason I think the movie is propaganda is because of the sob stories they use.

The girl who became ill after the Gardasil? She became ill a MONTH later.She has also been diagnosed with lupus. It is not uncommon to diagnose lupus in adolescents.

Would I recommend it for my daughters? Not at this stage. Wait a few more years.

This is a different thread. What I'm trying to find out here is whether those who do vaccinate according to doctors' recommendations and government mandate.... what would you do if a vaccine became mandatory that you do not want your child to have? Would you still give it, or opt out?

My thesis is that when push comes to shove, every parent is really pro–vaccine CHOICE. Those who think they are all for mandatory childhood vaccination probably just haven't met a vaccine they haven't liked yet, or haven't looked into it enough to know.

You have done the research and have decided to vaccinate in general. But Gardasil.... not so sure, right? So... what if it becomes mandatory?

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 4:08 am
yy wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:

This is a different thread. What I'm trying to find out here is whether those who do vaccinate according to doctors' recommendations and government mandate.... what would you do if a vaccine became mandatory that you do not want your child to have? Would you still give it, or opt out?

My thesis is that when push comes to shove, every parent is really pro–vaccine CHOICE. Those who think they are all for mandatory childhood vaccination probably just haven't met a vaccine they haven't liked yet, or haven't looked into it enough to know.

You have done the research and have decided to vaccinate in general. But Gardasil.... not so sure, right? So... what if it becomes mandatory?

Most vaccines aren't mandatory in the way you are stating as most people have an opt out. I am for people making intelligent choices. That means going to the science.
I vaccinated my children because it is healthier to do so.

leomom

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 4:13 am
HindaRochel wrote:
yy wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:

Most vaccines aren't mandatory in the way you are stating as most people have an opt out. I am for people making intelligent choices. That means going to the science.

And I respect your decision 100%. I respect that you make your own intelligent choices for your children. What if your doctor recommended Gardasil for your daughter and you didn't want to do that one? You'd opt out?

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 4:25 am
yy wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:
yy wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:

And I respect your decision 100%. I respect that you make your own intelligent choices for your children. What if your doctor recommended Gardasil for your daughter and you didn't want to do that one? You'd opt out?

I would talk to my doctor about it, read up on it, ask questions.

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 4:32 am
I do staggered vaxing. Meaning when my boys needed what amounts to 5 vaccines in one day, we did the MMR first, waited 2 weeks, then did the DTaP booster then did whatever else they get at 1 year or 18 months 2 weeks after than.

From what I understand though, it's now MMRV, which I am NOT Happy about... but at this point I think it's for my grandkids LOL

veganesther

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 6:12 am
I gave the chicken pox vaccine to my youngest children b/c unlike there older siblings, they did not catch chicken pox before their 5th birthday, and for me that is the cut off age.
I was undecided about giving the hep-c vaccine to my pre-adolescent children until my doctor who I respect looked me straight in the eyes and said," if your children are planning on going to college and if there is even the remotest chance that there will be pre-marital s-x you will condemn them to death w/o this vaccine.
nuff said.
I also gave the gardisol to my daughters for the same reason, the human papilloma virus means genital warts and difficulty w/ conception and mandatory c/sec.
why should I risk my children's future health?

small bean

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 9:19 am
If my doctor recommended it, I most likely would. maybe with some questions because I know if he's telling me to do it - he has researched all sides and would do the same to his kids/grandkids.

STMommy

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 11:38 am
I don't understand how this is even a question. Are you going to tell your daughter that she is not allowed to date a ba'al teshuva who might have had pre-marital relations because she wasn't vaccinated?
Why take a chance on an easily preventable disease?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 11:44 am
STMommy wrote:
I don't understand how this is even a question. Are you going to tell your daughter that she is not allowed to date a ba'al teshuva who might have had pre-marital relations because she wasn't vaccinated?
Why take a chance on an easily preventable disease?

A friend of mine recently told me that "frum girls don't need this vaccine". As the post above illustrates - they certainly do.

And what if they were in a marriage where the guy (begging your pardon) turns out to be a bum? Does she have to pay the price?

My sister is a med/peds and in her practice, has seen frum women with STD's they got from their spouses.

honeygold

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 11:47 am
gardasil I probably would not give since its for HPV which is a s*xually transmitted disease which I dont think is a concern for someone who is only having one s*xual partner. Varivax I probably would give since nowadays there is almost no one that gets chicken pox so my kids wont have who to get it from and I dont want them to get Shingles when they get older, since that is much worse.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 12:04 pm
HPV is no joke. My sister has it. (Which would be why I'm anonymous.) She made a mistake in college and now she is stuck with it for the rest of her life. She doesn't have warts but has to be screened extensively - think pap smears every three to six months - and it is really a question whether it needs to be disclosed in dating.

She is not frum, but even frum people make mistakes. And she's not married but is certainly old enough by any standard to be married. She is up front about it when she dates - although some doctors have told her she doesn't need to be, based on what I'm not sure - and it scares guys off. Pity the vaccine wasn't around when she was a young teen.

I imagine the consequences would be just as bad or worse if she were frum.

honeygold

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 12:11 pm
to the amother above, are u saying that I should give it to my kids because there is a chance that they may do something stupid and end up getting HPV as a result. I dont think that is the way most people think, maybe my kid will have premarital s*x so let me vacinate them. coming from a frum home u dont expect that to happen and if u are worried about it then make sure to give ur kids some s*x education.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 12:19 pm
honeygold wrote:
to the amother above, are u saying that I should give it to my kids because there is a chance that they may do something stupid and end up getting HPV as a result. I dont think that is the way most people think, maybe my kid will have premarital s*x so let me vacinate them. coming from a frum home u dont expect that to happen and if u are worried about it then make sure to give ur kids some s*x education.

Absolutely you should not expect your children will do something so contrary to their upbringing. However, yes I do think that *if* the vaccine is as safe as the ones currently recommended, you should give it.

There is a chance your child may do something, but I'm sure it's a very very small chance. However, let's say maybe your daughter's chosson may have done something stupid or may do something stupid at some point in his life and ch'v pass it on. If you don't think this happens in frum communities and to women who would NEVER have expected it, please read the SB forum, there are no fewer than three threads right now where amothers' husbands have had affairs, lo aleinu. The first (very sound, IMHO) piece of advice many of us give is GO GET TESTED!

In my professional capacity I have seen otherwise very frum-looking and obviously Chassidish men who have visited harlots. (Yes yes as well as non-Chassidish, frei, MO, you name it, I am NOT pointing fingers!!! G-d forbid! Just saying it can happen in ANY derech and an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.)

amother

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 12:22 pm
honeygold wrote:

And yes of course if you are worried something may happen, if you see signs a child is G-d forbid going OTD, s*x education is very important, but my sister swears that she and the boy who gave her HPV used a condom. She was practicing "safe s*x" and got it anyway.

BinahYeteirah

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 12:52 pm
veganesther wrote:
I was undecided about giving the hep-c vaccine to my pre-adolescent children until my doctor who I respect looked me straight in the eyes and said," if your children are planning on going to college and if there is even the remotest chance that there will be pre-marital s-x you will condemn them to death w/o this vaccine.
nuff said.

Well, there is no hep-c vaccine. I assume you mean the hep-b vaccine. If so, I think it is sad that your doctor would use scare tactics to induce you to vaccinate rather than give you accurate information.

Mirabelle

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 1:12 pm
I DO vaccinate...but I do it at a slower pace....like I don't give 5 at once or anything.

I have 3 girls and am still unsure regarding gardasil. I was offered it because when it came out I was at the tail end of the age limit but I said no because it was so new.

My oldest is only 5....so I'm going to see how the research goes for the next few years before making a decision. I have a few friends that have HPV. It's really easy to catch...
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics