Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Privacy: Blinds vs. Curtains

wereafamily

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 12:11 am
Whats more private, blinds or curtains?
I am moving into a new apartment where my bedroom is on the ground floor, front side...anyone passing can basically look inside!

I would love to have terissim but they don't offer that in New York Sad

If you have any good ideas - let me know Smile

seeker

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 12:13 am
Curtains for sure!

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 12:17 am
I also live on ground level with ppl passing my bedroom. I have both- blinds with curtains over them (it sounds weird but it works- the Windows are huge). During the day when the sun reflects off the glass I push the curtains to the side but leave the blinds closed. We still get lots of sun from between the blinds and the sides. At night, the curtains go back over the blinds. If there are any gaps I feel like ppl can see in. That's why we have both Smile

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 12:19 am
seeker wrote:
Curtains for sure!

The problem with curtains is that you either keep them closed, and the room is dark, or you open them and ppl have a full view.

seeker

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 12:21 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
seeker wrote:
Curtains for sure!

The problem with curtains is that you either keep them closed, and the room is dark, or you open them and ppl have a full view.
Right, so you can use blinds under the curtains like you mentioned above, but for PRIVACY you won't get that with blinds nearly as well as with curtains. Curtains can block out everything, blinds there's always some angle someone can see... unless maybe you have REALLY good blinds that close extra tight and overlap your window frames quite a bit... but I haven't met blinds like that yet.

wereafamily

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 11:14 am
Thanks!

I also think curtains, and good point - curtains it's open or closed. I like the idea of two, I guess I'll get cheap blinds and curtains. Thanks Smile This way I get the sun by day and privacy at night!

MaBelleVie - Do you think people can hear you from outside? I have a feeling DH will make me be really quite when we are in the bedroom.

gp2.0

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 11:50 am
Can't you have room-darkening, lined, heavy shades for nighttime and behind them a sheer curtain for daytime?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 11:56 am
I guess it depends on your neighborhood. We live near a pretty busy street so there is always the sound of cars passing by (although we can't hear it inside). People definitely can't hear us talking over that. Even in a quiet place the normal outside sounds are pretty loud- birds, whatever. Do a test run- one of you stand right next to the closed window and talk, the other one stands outside and listens.

NewYorkgal31

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 12:17 pm
I have these and I love them

http://www.selectblinds.com/ce.....word={keyword}&gclid=CI3I3eTU_a8CFYFo4Aod6l8jHQ

wereafamily

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 11:18 pm
NewYorkgal31 wrote:
I have these and I love them

http://www.selectblinds.com/ce.....word={keyword}&gclid=CI3I3eTU_a8CFYFo4Aod6l8jHQ

Is it 100 private?

NewYorkgal31

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 12:43 am
Yes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics