Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What makes your home you and/or unique?
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 8:29 pm
My home I would say are the pictures I have hanging of my children. Not because they're mine Rolling Eyes , but because the order it is and how I change it once a year. I would also have to say even though not every one can tell, but the orderly of my house. Everything has its place even if it's not in the right place Confused Exploding anger .

My parents fathers house is very unique because of my mother. The living room is wall papered with fabric. The kitchen wall is covered with Mickey Mouse posters. The wall along the staircase up to the second floor is decoupaged with 100's of family photographs. And the most that makes it unique are the quilts hanging up all around the house.

What about your house? What makes it you and/or unique?

Last edited by yo'ma on Mon, Jul 09 2012, 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 10:12 pm
Nada. There isn't anything I would say I have to install, hang, arrange or display to make me feel that a place is mine.

OTOH there are countless things that would be a dead giveaway that the place is NOT ours. Carpeting and area rugs. Ceramic figurines. Doilies. Crystal chandeliers. Fringe. Dolls with crocheted skirts hiding rolls of toilet paper. Plush toilet seat covers. Reading material in the bathroom. Dust ruffles. Oil paintings. Heavily carved furniture. dark-colored walls. Drapes. "Occasional" furniture. Throw pillows. Four-posters with canopies. Fussy bedspreads. Fabric footstools. Single-function kitchen appliances. Flat-screen TV. Wholesale-club packages of disposable goods. Cats, whether live, in effigy or in pictures. Anything cutesy, kitschy or ongepatchked.

etky

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 11:40 pm
Quote:
Nada. There isn't anything I would say I have to install, hang, arrange or display to make me feel that a place is mine.

OTOH there are countless things that would be a dead giveaway that the place is NOT ours. Carpeting and area rugs. Ceramic figurines. Doilies. Crystal chandeliers. Fringe. Dolls with crocheted skirts hiding rolls of toilet paper. Plush toilet seat covers. Reading material in the bathroom. Dust ruffles. Oil paintings. Heavily carved furniture. dark-colored walls. Drapes. "Occasional" furniture. Throw pillows. Four-posters with canopies. Fussy bedspreads. Fabric footstools. Single-function kitchen appliances. Flat-screen TV. Wholesale-club packages of disposable goods. Cats, whether live, in effigy or in pictures. Anything cutesy, kitschy or ongepatchked.

I could have written this myself except that I do have a rug in the living room and in some of the bedrooms. It gets cold in the winter where I live and our floors are ceramic tile.
I would also add to the list family photos, especially framed wedding portraits.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 11:49 pm
All the jars of things fermenting on my shelves in my kitchen. And lots of half finished projects.

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 4:37 am
My gan and my kids! We have tons of posters and bright pictures hanging on the walls and from the ceiling on strings. It is not uncommon to find a ribbon from one end of the room to another with balloons or pictures attached with clothespins. I have lots of ABC and AlephBet wall hangings and kids drawings all over the place. every wall in my home (specifically my living room) has a theme. In my kids room, they each have their own wall stickers and pictures.

We are renting - if we owned this apartment, I am not so sure I would allow all the thigns to be taped on the wall, lol! I am just very lucky that my landlord doesn't care!

imaima

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 5:08 am
Mess!!! LOL DH and I are slobs, and DCs follow in our footsteps...

Seriously, we have some old family pictures that have been moving with us from apartment to apartment, as well as a beat up stained couch that we replace as soon as we don't have small kids at home.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 5:14 am
the art on our walls. My husband loves doing very large puzzles (1000 pieces) and then we frame his hard work and it goes on our walls.
Also, my husband puts together massive legos (think anythign star wars or anything very large) and they are all over the house. my husband is known for his legos Smile

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 5:47 am
My husband is into projects. From the window moldings to the walls he's knocked down and ceilings he's raised, everything is his design. Our home is very uniquely his. My contribution has been one ceramic mazuzah and a key holder and the decorations of my daughter' room. I have her a seventies style American Girl Julie room.

shoeboxgirly

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 6:02 am
The cyberman on the shelf, the fondant penguins made for us on the same shelf, the overflowing shabbos games cupboard, the network switch and the colour scheme.

I'm not so bothered by unique, but I'm happy it is mine. Smile

Oh and the linux format magazine pile in the bathroom.

Karnash

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 6:34 am
My house is testimony to my search for creative expression.

I have one small quilt left from my fabric art phase, illustrated and illuminate psukim from when I was doing ketubot, many large and small paintings - mostly Israeli landscapes - from when I was completely involved in painting. And.... for the last 12 years or so, I've been involved in different kinds of glass art - fusing and stained glass - so I have a stained glass window and front door panel, asst. lamps and lighting fixtures, bowls, vases, glass sculpture, mezuzot, seder plates... and the list goes on.
Where is my DH in all this? He figures out how and where to hang things!

lamplighter

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 6:52 am
The mess. No one's mess is quite like ours Wink

It's not uniquely mine, but our sefarim. We have bookcases and bookcases of sefarim, everywhere in our tiny apartment.

Iyh when we have a house, it will be more us.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 7:43 am
My dh still has some pre-war furniture, BH. They have survived going in hiding with his grandparents and father.

We have kah lots of family pics in the living room, as well as wedding pic and ketuba.

And we are decorating to our taste, now that we're really HOME Smile

(also the lots of seforim bh, but don't most frum families have them all around?)

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 7:48 am
Yo'ma, I also have a piece of my very creative mother a"h in my house, a few pieces actually but the most prominent is a original needlepoint. I also framed prints of E"Y that she'd had stored away somewhere. So many people I know don't have artwork. I'm not knocking family and gedolim pics, I have some myself, but the artwork is often trite and stock. Now if someone falls in love with something and it happens to be trite or stock, that's a-ok in my book, it should just be something that grabs you, and I don't get that feeling in some homes.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 8:08 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Yo'ma, I also have a piece of my very creative mother a"h in my house, a few pieces actually but the most prominent is a original needlepoint.

I have some of my mothers quilts also because she gave to each of her grandchildren. She didn't get a chance to give to everyone, but my sister finished a whole bunch of them and gave it to the rest of the grandchildren.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 8:14 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Yo'ma, I also have a piece of my very creative mother a"h in my house, a few pieces actually but the most prominent is a original needlepoint. I also framed prints of E"Y that she'd had stored away somewhere. So many people I know don't have artwork. I'm not knocking family and gedolim pics, I have some myself, but the artwork is often trite and stock. Now if someone falls in love with something and it happens to be trite or stock, that's a-ok in my book, it should just be something that grabs you, and I don't get that feeling in some homes.

This. I try very hard not to have anything trite on my walls. I don't buy a picture just to fill a space, it needs to speak to me on some level. A lot of thought goes into every corner of my home.
I like it when a home is individual or personal, doesn't matter which style it's decorated in.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 8:22 am
books, everywhere. Not just sefarim (we have tons of those too) but all sorts of books. Secular books, books of Jewish interest, fiction, non fiction. And never enough shelving to house them.

willow

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 9:00 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:

This. I try very hard not to have anything trite on my walls. I don't buy a picture just to fill a space, it needs to speak to me on some level. A lot of thought goes into every corner of my home.
I like it when a home is individual or personal, doesn't matter which style it's decorated in.

I agree as a painter I hang my art my childrens mementos... I would only buy if something spoke to my soul

freidasima

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 9:04 am
And with Lamp and Raisin. Sformi and books. All over the place. Everywhere except the bathroom (which has my stupid magazines all over the place, mainly the story magazines.

My parents house - the sforim all over when my father z"l was alive and the piles of newspapers and magazines that used to be around before my mother went blind.

My grandparents' house - the shelf of books that my grandmother treasured. They couldn't afford much but those were the ones she bought throughout the years and they were precious to her.

mvp

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 10:32 am
Different color wall paint, round shabbos table, antique breakfront with modern peaces inside.
I have white shabbos dishes, so I can do lots of variety of settings. Different tablecloth/napkins/flower combinations, it's always something else. I also usually use long colored shabbos candles that suit the theme.
All our furniture is 2nd hand from here and there, but the way it's arranged together, has a very nice effect. Hashem really sent all the right stuff our way, and at the right time. So we set up a very comfy pretty home - without any financial pressure on our parents or ourselves.
I have few wall-hangings (not married long, and those take years to acquire). I generally don't buy anything unless something catches my eye, and I feel it's mine, and I know exactly where in my home it's going to be, and I just CAN'T leave it at the store (it also has to be a good price). I plan to hang some of my own works too. When I have vacation, I have a bit of a project planed.

Last edited by mvp on Mon, Jul 09 2012, 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 10:33 am
My endless lists on our fridge Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics