Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Bnei brak- more modern/american place to daven RH/YK

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 9:49 am
Hi Everyone!

DH and I both finish school at the end of the summer, and are BE"H planning a trip to Israel for RH through right before Succot. (coming home to be with our families at that point).
my Husband would really like to spend Rosh Hashana davening in the Vishnitz Shul, which is in Bnei Brak. He has always wanted to do this. There is a hotel right nearby, which makes it really convenient.

now comes the but. I know my husband really wants to go, and has wanted to for a few years now, but I am not thrilled about the idea; we were there once for Shabbos, and while the Shul itself is truly magnificent, and there is something to be said about Davening in a huge Shul with thousands of people for the Yamim Noraim, for *MY* davening to be meaningful, I would really love to be somewhere where I would feel more comfortable- "at home" with the tunes, the Nusach (ashkenaz, please), and also, not feel out of place because of what I am wearing. (I felt really uncomfortable last time I was there, and I really would like to avoid feeling compelled to wear nylons in 90 degree heat on RH if necessary, lol!)

I am really fine with walking. is there any shul in Bnei Brak, where I would be able to find a more "modern orthodox" or "young israel" (I dont really know how else to describe it), Davening, with more singing of tunes I might be familiar with, more, americanized if you will?
Ramat Gan is next to Bnei Brak. maybe in Ramat Gan, could I find something more to my taste?

I really want to make this work for my DH, but I also want to have a meaningful enjoyable RH myself! please help me out, israeli imamothers!
t.I.a!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 10:15 am
Not MO, but Ashkenaz and maybe more open: what about the Yekke shul in BB?

cinnamon

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 10:23 am
pri chadash shul its in the pri chadash cheider at the end of baal hatanya st. and only about 15 minutes away from Viznits hotel.

I don't have th exact address but can find it for you if you want.

Its not mo. its just more modern chareidi. you can probably find some mo shuls but that would be on the other side of bnei brak (around 40 minutes walk)

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 10:36 am
Hi Ruchel- I am not a Yekke, so I know nothing about German style davening, I would probably be just as lost as I would be in Viznits Wink. I would really like to find something that is just more "young israel" style. more americanized, "heimish," friendly, artscroll english-hebrew siddurim, where they say the tefillah for medinat yisrael, IDK how else to describe it.

Cinnamon- I would love the address, if you could find it.
and I really am okay with 40 minutes. its not like this is a weekly thing. I would be willing to walk, so that he could daven where he wants, and enjoy. I just do not want to be miserable for two days straight, RH is important to me too! (as long as I don't have to wear nylons on my 40 minute walk, since I am going to a place, where not everyone is wearing nylons, and my open toe shoes wont be frowned on, its worth the walk in the israeli heat for me Wink)
Alternatively- are there any other hotels that would be more equidistant? I don't think so, but what do I know. anyway, I am totally ok with walking, so keep the suggestions coming! thanks so much!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 10:58 am
How about Rehovot? There's a Vischnitz shul there too...

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 11:16 am
amother wrote:
How about Rehovot? There's a Vischnitz shul there too...

there is also a vishnitz shul in Monsey, and probably one in Boro Park too...I know there is one in Haifa...probably one in Jerusalem somwhere, etc etc...
he wants to daven in the shule of the vishnitz rebbe, which is in bnei brak, but thanks though Smile

amother

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 8:37 am
cinnamon wrote:
pri chadash shul its in the pri chadash cheider at the end of baal hatanya st. and only about 15 minutes away from Viznits hotel.

I don't have th exact address but can find it for you if you want.

Its not mo. its just more modern chareidi. you can probably find some mo shuls but that would be on the other side of bnei brak (around 40 minutes walk)

bump Smile
cinnamon can you give me more specific directions to this place? like an intersection or an address I can plug into google maps? I would REALLY appreciate it!
IDK what modern chareidi means- does that mean its like black hat but the women all wear super long shaitels or something (like "flatbush") or something?
I am looking for something that would have a bit more singing, more dati style or young israel style like we say back in the US. I get that DH really wants to do this, hes always wanted to go, and I am super supportive of it. Ill daven at the big vishnitz shul If I really have to, but I would prefer something that would make MY Chag and Tefilot meaningful to me in my way, even if it means walking to the "other" end of bnei brak (where does that mean exactly lol?!)! as long as on the walk, I can wear sneakers, and wont be stared at when I go into shul without nylons in 90 degree israeli heat, I am totally fine with walking!! thanks!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 8:46 am
My sil lives in Ramat Gan and she'll email a few names later on bl'n.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 11:45 am
Does your dh have a place there? I heard it is packed to the point that people can't move and that's with many standing the whole davenning. Maybe it is different this year now that there are two rebbes? But your dh should find out.

At the risk of being nasty, I don't think you should walk around Kiryat Vishnitz without socks/ tights. It really isn't respectful (though I can't imagine anyone saying anything). It is a very closed, chassidish area, and so is much of Bnei Brak. I think it would show respect to dress 'like the natives' (the sneakers aren't a tznius issue, so no big deal) while you are there, especially on RH.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 8:07 am
yo'ma wrote:

bump??

any suggestions? thanks so much!!
someone told me that on Rabbi Akiva street on the other end of B'nei Brak, there is the great synagogue of Benei Berak, that I might find to my liking. I know its a hike. but has anyone been there? I am willing to walk, if its a worthwhile davening, with a nice Chazzan, nice tunes, Nusach Ashkenaz, etc!

shalhevet- DH will be able to get a seat, I know they get all packed and everything, he knows what hes doing thanks!Smile

I am not planning on walking around their neighborhood in strappy sandals and short sleeves with a mitpachat. I would not walk into their Shul without nylons, out of respect for what is expected where they daven. But walking outside on a public street, in 90 degree heat, I think its just fine to not wear tights with a below the knee skirt.
That is like saying, the community standards in Mea Shearim include wearing seamed stockings, so please wear them if you go visit. or women don't wear "pointy high heels" in Bourough Park b'shita, so please only wear flats around here. Or in williamsburg, women shave their heads and wear hats atop their wigs, so please do so before going there. I dress modestly, but I dont wear socks/tights (other than bobby socks with the sneakers Smile). Which is part of the reason why I'd love to find a Shule that is more "my style" to begin with Smile.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 8:10 am
There are still DLs in and around Bnai Brak. Not everyone wears stockings, wig and all the accessories. I sure don't.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:14 am
amother wrote:
yo'ma wrote:

bump??

I'm sorry, she didn't tell me any yet. Can you understand hebrew because it's easier for her to write in hebrew than english, unless you of course understand spanish because that's also easy for her LOL . Either way, I'll ask her again.

freidasima

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:19 am
from what I know from my friends you can forget about finding anything american whatsoever in the entire area. No american style shuls in Bnai Brak, Givat Shmuel, Ramat Gan, Givatayim or anyplace walkable. There is an "english shul" in Petach tikva and I don't know if you want to walk an hour each way to get there and you also have to buy seats for the yomim noraim.

As for anyplace in Bnai Brak that you will feel comfortable without stockings, never heard of one. Maybe they still exist, probably not. there is a shul somewhere between ramat gan and the border of Bnai Brak in what used to be called shikun hapoel hamizrachi around the top of rechov Yona or something where they are more modern, but otherwise your dh will be happy and you will wear 70 denier tights, long sleeves and a 3/4 skirt and fit in...but won't understand the nusach or the songs. It's either you or him.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 2:25 pm
This is what she gave me:
Quote:
There are a synagogue of Samuel Judy Bnei Brak, Kiryat Moshe, which is very close to the hotel. This Ashkenaz. I'm looking for a phone where you can make a reservation.

Her MO more towards chareidi friend told her about this shul, but said friend goes to yerushalayim for the high holy days. My sil will iy'h be going there if she doesn't go to yerushalayim also. When she gives me the phone number, I post it if you're interested.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions