Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Money

amother

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 1:13 pm
How do you send money directly to s/o in EY? Can a US Postal Money Order be cashed easily?

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 1:15 pm
If you are mailing something, mail a check or cash. If you trust them to use the amount you are comfortable with and no more (like a close family member) a credit card with no foreign transaction fee is even easier.

Geee

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 1:24 pm
American Express gift cards are also a great option. You can get them in any denomination

amother

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 1:26 pm
Liba wrote:
If you are mailing something, mail a check or cash. If you trust them to use the amount you are comfortable with and no more (like a close family member) a credit card with no foreign transaction fee is even easier.

Would you really mail cash? In the US it is so frowned upon. Can a US check be cashed easily? I could not do a credit card. I could do something like an AmEx debit card; but they have high fees to use. Could I buy one and just send the number via internet?

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I would like to do this ASAP in time for RH.

Hashemlovesme

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 1:29 pm
US checks can be cashed easily. The change place charges around 1%.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 1:42 pm
Pay pal to their account in Israel?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 1:48 pm
Geee wrote:
American Express gift cards are also a great option. You can get them in any denomination

I did not see this before I replied. The fees are so high to use.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 1:49 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Pay pal to their account in Israel?

Way too sophisticated for me.

jackiejoel3

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 2:12 pm
I am working under the assumption that people know you are sending them money. Ask for the number for their local money changer and call them directly to work something out such as wiring etc from your bank account. usually once the money order is placed and the money changer can see that they are getting their money they will just give the Israeli person the money without waiting for the transaction to finish. If not (maybe they don't know the person you are sending money to?) it only takes 2 days for a wire transfer to go through anyway so they would have the money for RH.

evie

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 2:35 pm
I would never mail cash!!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 2:42 pm
jackiejoel3 wrote:
I am working under the assumption that people know you are sending them money. Ask for the number for their local money changer and call them directly to work something out such as wiring etc from your bank account. usually once the money order is placed and the money changer can see that they are getting their money they will just give the Israeli person the money without waiting for the transaction to finish. If not (maybe they don't know the person you are sending money to?) it only takes 2 days for a wire transfer to go through anyway so they would have the money for RH.

They have no idea the money is coming.

Is US Postal MO a bad idea?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 6:39 pm
amother wrote:

Is US Postal MO a bad idea?

My dh recently mailed a check for $20k in regular U.S. mail. Let me give you advice: . Use security envelope. 2. Wrap the check in a letter or two so that no one can see through it. 3. Make sure the envelope looks like a regular envelope, nothing special.

The check for $20k arrived without any problems.

I know of checks that have been stolen in the mail, but the sender's address read "U.S. Treasury," which is a big sign.

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 2:02 am
AFAIK you can't cash a US Postal Money order outside of the US. They might find someone to take it and cash it, but then again, they might not.

We used to travel with "traveler's checks" back in the days. They were thought to be safe, but a larger part of them goes to money changer than if you just mail a check.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 7:02 am
Liba wrote:
AFAIK you can't cash a US Postal Money order outside of the US. They might find someone to take it and cash it, but then again, they might not.

We used to travel with "traveler's checks" back in the days. They were thought to be safe, but a larger part of them goes to money changer than if you just mail a check.

What about an international money order? I see signs at Walmart for them. There appears to be many Spanish people using this. Would this work in Isreal?

I want as much of the money to go to the person as possible but I don't want to send my credited card and banking info.

Here you can pay bills by just calling in the numbers on the bottom of the check with no authorization codes needed.

Thank you.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 7:03 am
Liba wrote:

What about an international money order? I see signs at Walmart for them. There appears to be many Spanish people using this. Would this work in Isreal?

I want as much of the money to go to the person as possible but I don't want to send my credited card and banking info.

Here you can pay bills by just calling in the numbers on the bottom of the check with no authorization codes needed.

Thank you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions