Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Alternative to psychology

amother

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 1:55 pm
My dream has always been to study psychology but since I wasn't the best in school I believe the studies would be too hard for my brain.
Is there an easier alternative that I can study that is similar to the psychology field?

centurion

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 2:50 pm
Instead of focusing on what you're not best at, look at what your strengths are. You can apply whatever that is to the therapeutic field. For example, if you are good at music, look into music therapy, good with horses: equestrian therapy, art: art therapy, play therapy, etc.
As for the academic aspect of learning any of these trades, you don't have to be at the top of the class, focus on just getting by. If the course load is too difficult, take only one or two classes per semester. It might take you longer to finish but you'll have the degree you wanted.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 3:18 pm
You can get certified in Somatic Experience therapy. Google traumahealing.com, they have trainings in a few states.

shirtsandskirts

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 6:39 pm
Well, what is it that you want to do? There are many other fields that do similar things to psychology- social work, Mental health counseling,Marriage and family therapy. These fields are not as intensive to study as psychology as far as I know, because they aren't doctorate.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 8:16 pm
DunkinLover wrote:
Well, what is it that you want to do? There are many other fields that do similar things to psychology- social work, Mental health counseling,Marriage and family therapy. These fields are not as intensive to study as psychology as far as I know, because they aren't doctorate.

All of these would need a Psychology BA.

cm

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 8:27 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
DunkinLover wrote:

Not necessarily. You can enter an MSW program for clinical social work without a psychology degree (although it probably wouldn't hurt).

There is far less schooling to become a master's-level social worker than a doctorate-level psychologist. That is the first thing I thought of when I read the OP's original post.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 8:31 pm
cm wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:
DunkinLover wrote:

Not necessarily. You can enter an MSW program for clinical social work without a psychology degree (although it probably wouldn't hurt).

There is far less schooling to become a master's-level social worker than a doctorate-level psychologist. That is the first thing I thought of when I read the OP's original post.

What degree would you enter with?
Or you would just make sure to have the appropriate prereqs?
In which schools would you be able to do this?

cm

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 8:47 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
cm wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:
DunkinLover wrote:

What degree would you enter with?
Or you would just make sure to have the appropriate prereqs?
In which schools would you be able to do this?

I'm not a social worker, but all the social workers I know entered the field through an undergrad degree in social work, not psychology. I googled it for you - here's a link for admissions requirements at NYU: http://www.nyu.edu/socialwork/......html

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 9:20 pm
Interesting. Touro does not offer an undergrad degree in Social Work, only in Psychology.
With that, I know people have continued on to Hunter's and Touro's School of Social Work.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 05 2013, 1:51 pm
I'm not in the us so the options aren't the same but what do you think about counselling? What is the min degree you need to counsel ppl?
I would love to counsel ppl whose children were molested or adults having been molested as kids. Since I went through both of that but what kind of degree is needed?
Btw OP here

amother

Post Sat, Jan 05 2013, 7:32 pm
occupational therapy, speech therapy, some form of counselling (?), special needs teaching? there are other forms things such as drama therapy, art therapy and music therapy whatever those things are

do you like working with kids? I mean you don't have to for example counselling, speech therapy etc can for for older people so can social work etc

sayinghi

Post Sat, Jan 05 2013, 7:36 pm
What about a life coach?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics