Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Questions about Graphic design - TIA

lubaussie

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 4:48 pm
Hi, I have 2 questions about graphic design.

1) I am looking to take a complete beginner's course this summer (first month). Any recommendations? In general, are the "Frum" courses worth it or better to take a secular one? I know I am a beginner, however I do have high expectations and I want a really good course that will take me far. I also have to consider the cost as I am currently not making any income.

2) is there potential for parnassa in the field? I mean, for real? can you tell me more about my otpions?

thanks a lot for your I put.

crl

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 8:19 pm
Hello! Im a graphic designer! Wave

To answer your questions...

A) I think that if you're going to go with a frum course, I'd recommend The Bold Edge. You can do it on your own time, and it happens to be high quality in terms of course material, from what I understand. Secular courses MAY be more comprehensive, but unless it's vetted personally or part of a real design school, like FIT, SVA, Parsons, etc, I don't know how much better it would be and flexibility may be better for you, plus you get personalized attention. I don't know the cost though, but I can't imagine it's any more than any of the secular courses.

B) Parnassa: there is definitely parnassa in the field, but a)you have to be multitalented and diverse in style, and b)you generally wont make a ton of money staying in the Jewish world. Typically, entry level graphic designers make somewhere between 25-35K. There are many areas of design that may make more than others - general print design does not make as much money as package design, and web design is more as well. It all depends what you're interested in, but the field is so wide that you can't expect to be a jack of all trades, but you can have competent skills in many areas that will make you higher paid in your specific niche of design.

Good luck! Feel free to PM me any more questions.

Redbird

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 8:35 pm
1) If you are planning on freelancing, or working in the frum world, it does not matter much if you just take a short course or get a degree. A crash course gives you the basics of how to use the programs and you will just have to you practice, practice, and practice, A degree would be important if you end up working at a Manhattan Firm or something like that. I have an associates degree and I did learn stuff that you would get from a course, like typography, principles of design, and some of its history...

Once you learn the material its important to work up a portfolio/experience (you can do some free freelance work for organizations, friends, family ect., or start off with a low paying job).

People are successful with graphic design but I dont know the ratio of how many people make it and how many dont. alot end up branching out if to other stuff (I.e. learning web/multimedia design or giving courses..)

If you want I can give you the number of someone giving a course this summer in brooklyn.

srbmom

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 9:27 pm
I am also a graphic designer, and I have been in the field for almost 15 years. I can't help much with the secular verse Jewish program - I have a 2-yr associates degree from a secular college.

As far as making a parnassa - I do think it's possible, but it is not easy. First off, anytime you work in the frum world you'll obviously have every organization asking you for discounts and free work. Another problem I have is that most people want to work with me at night. They think that because I work from home and am usually at my computer, that means that I will respond to them immediately. I work very late at night, and it makes my life very hard.
I also think that the frum world does not appreciate what a graphic designer does. Most people think I charge them too much money and that they can do whatever I do, themselves. I do have some non-Jewish clients and I never get complaints from them about my prices and they are so appreciative of the work I do for them.

Sorry to sound so negative. If you live somewhere where you think you can get a lot of clients that you don't know on a personal level - I'd say go for it. Otherwise, I personally think it's a very stressful job.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics