Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Manager Asked Me Not To Tell Workmates I'm Leaving

amother

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 11:44 am
I'm iy"h going to be leaving my job in 3 weeks. I gave them 4 weeks notice, per their request. My boss asked me not to tell the people I work with that I'm leaving, since he can't deal with them pressuring him to hire a replacement (so that they won't get my workload).

I had already told some people that I'm leaving before I even told him. Do I really wait till the last day to tell others?

Thoughts please.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 1:16 pm
Do what you're comfortable with. You don't have to comply with your boss's wishes here.

GramaNewYork

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 1:31 pm
I agree that you are not obligated to play your boss's game. Try to imagine yourself as one of the others whom you have not yet told and how you would feel and that will help you decide what is the right thing to do.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 1:32 pm
It's a sticky situation. If you are publicly telling other people that you are quitting, then I think you should tell your co-workers so they don't feel offended.
If you can keep it low for a week or two and just tell people a bit b4 you quit , It would probably be nicer to your boss.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 1:36 pm
I would tell your boss that you there to help in the transition (hence the need for notice) and will be telling your coworkers with TWO weeks notice, as is the standard. Don't make it a choice.

Shana_H

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 2:00 pm
Its a boss's perogative to hire or not to hire a replacement for you. Co workers have no business pushing him to do so. It is very possible that in today's times he will try and split up your work among the remaining workers, rather than replace you, not your problem, you've worked with these people for a while, they're your work friends, say your good byes as you will, and don't let your boss make you feel guilty!

m in Israel

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 3:05 pm
I do agree with all the previous posters in theory -- that you have the right to tell your co-workers. However, will you need this manager's recommendation/ reference at any point in the future? I'm not sure doing something that will make him angry is in your best interest long term -- it is never a good idea to burn your bridges. Is there any way you can explain to him that you are not comfortable just walking out on everyone, and see if he will agree on some compromise (like the 2 week idea someone earlier said). Bottom line it's your choice, but you may want to consider if there will be any long term ramifications.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 4:38 pm
It is the way you look at this. The title could easily have been manager asked me not to tell other employees I am leaving. Doesn't the manager have the right to set the policies rather than an employee who is leaving? Perhaps the manager does not want to be pressured into hiring someone's brother in law. We can only speculate. A company is not a democracy.

tamara00

Post Thu, Jun 20 2013, 12:59 am
It might be because he's worried other people might follow you - my best friend just quit her job after a couple of other people did and then another 20 or so also quit!! Just for the record, she does work in a big company and there are about 200 people in her 'department', but that's still 10% of the workforce!! There is such a thing as the 'domino effect' and maybe that's what he's trying to avoid!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics