Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Labels

Do you refer to yourself as being...
mo  
 8%  [ 4 ]
plain Orthodox  
 41%  [ 19 ]
ultra / charedi  
 50%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 46

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 5:38 pm
Vote even if you hate labels Wink
Choose the closest and feel free to comment.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 5:44 pm
Labels are for clothes Wink

(but I voted anyway!!)

Sregion28

Post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 9:22 pm
I bet there are a lot of interpretations of those labels. For example, I chose plain orthodox for myself, but I bet a bunch of people on this board would consider me MO because I watch movies, I wear sandals without socks, etc... To me, MO is a woman who doesn't cover her hair (either at all or fully), wears short sleeves or pants, some might eat vegetarian in non-kosher restaurants, they send their kids to co-ed schools, husbands are not usually koveah itim or regulars at minyan. In my city, this is who MO is. In other places, I bet this is considered basically conservative. I live in a big Jewish city in the US (but not in the tri-state area).

I'm interested to hear other peoples opinions and how things work where they live.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 9:37 pm
This is Mo in France too, Mo "light". Some are more machmir and wear skirts and a partial hair covering, stuff like that. Most kids go to public (non Jewish) school. The husbands go to shul for holidays.
Some very left wing are considered Cnservative I suppose (no mikve, husband doesn't pray every day not even talking of 3 times, some may drive to shul...) but here they are seen as the left of the left wing.

Plain O don't necessarily wear tights, many have a tefach of hair showing, almost all watch movies...the husband may go to a minian every day. Often the kids go to Jewish school.

Charedi most often wear tights and complete hair covering, sometimes no movies or very chosen ones. Almost all kids to Jewish school although I went to school with Litvishe and Lub. kids.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jun 22 2007, 2:38 am
Sregion28 wrote:
I bet there are a lot of interpretations of those labels. For example, I chose plain orthodox for myself, but I bet a bunch of people on this board would consider me MO because I watch movies, I wear sandals without socks, etc... To me, MO is a woman who doesn't cover her hair (either at all or fully), wears short sleeves or pants, some might eat vegetarian in non-kosher restaurants, they send their kids to co-ed schools, husbands are not usually koveah itim or regulars at minyan. In my city, this is who MO is. In other places, I bet this is considered basically conservative. I live in a big Jewish city in the US (but not in the tri-state area).

I'm interested to hear other peoples opinions and how things work where they live.

that is interesting b/c I would say that my "definition" of Modern Orthodox is VERY different:)
I consider myself m/o or dati leumi in israel but I wear only skirts and cover my hair but I also wear sandals with no socks and short sleeves near my elbow. we keep kosher to the fullest. no, my husand does not sit and learn, he IYH is looking for a job right now, but has only worked in the past. if there were co-ed schools here in israel we would send them to co-ed schools (as I myself think it is good for kids to be exposed to the opposite s ex so that they see that they are not a foreign thing).but I consider myself modern b/c I also go to the movies and read magazines and have the internet and find nothing wrong with these things.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 22 2007, 3:06 am
I consider myself charedi and fit the mold in some ways, but not others. I look charedi. I wear a sheitel always and never leave my house with anything else on my head. I am very careful about tznius and always wear knee socks or stockings. We don't own a TV or go out for movies. (But DH still watches TV occasioanlly on his computer. This is a habit he's having a hard time dropping from his pre-BT days.) We read "secular" newspapers and magazines, but not shtus. We read things like Newsweek, National Geographic, etc. DH leans and davens with a minyan. We send out kids to same-s-x schools and will not encourage university, though if it seems like the right path for one of them, that's fine too as long as it's done in a frum context. Btw, DH and I went to university.

loveit

Post Fri, Jun 22 2007, 1:10 pm
We consider ourselves just plain fum I guess. I always cover my hair fully, mostly with a sheitel but sometimes with a hat or tichel. I wear stockings, but not the thick opaque ones. We definitely will send our children to separate schools but we will encourage university (Dh and I both have master's degrees) after a year or two in seminary or yeshiva. We keep very strict kashrut but we do watch movies, have a tv and internet. However our children won't necessarily have access to these (no children yet so we haven't had to worry about it) We belong to a very frum community but the men are clean shaven and my husband even sometimes wears colored shirts, hehe. In the city we live there are mo's that wear shorter skirts, don't necessarily cover their hair, shorter sleeves, etc. There's a lot of chabad shuls, persian communities and then just the rest of regular frum shuls...prob mostly litvish, almost yeshivish, I guess if that makes sense! So even though we call ourselves plain fum...I guess we belong to the latter category, litvish/yeshivish
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics