Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I knew I was frugal but...
1  2  Next

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 12:56 pm
Our budget is tight, and I get most of our clothing on clearance or second hand- free or at low cost. I wanted spring/summer PJs for my toddler that zip up (so I can put them on him backwards, and we don't have a naked baby and very messy crib in the morning). I could not find on clearance or at any of my go-to secondhand stores, so I bought a few at 50% off online with free shipping, and my total came out to $35.
I know I had to do it, and I don't regret it, but I cant imagine people managing to spend double that, or more, on PJs for one child!

Am I crazy, or is $35 a lot of money to spend on PJs for one kid??

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 12:59 pm
for starters you mentioned you got a few pair ... so that's not so bad - especially when there is a specific need of style for sanity ... cheaper than going insane from the mess

being frugal is knowing when not to be stingy

tigerwife

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 1:22 pm
I don't know how many pairs you got but for the full season it sounds ok. Carters and Children's Place have cute and cozy PJs you can often get for less than $7.50-$10 a pair (and they often have coupons and additional discounts)- just for future reference...

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 1:27 pm
I spend $35 on one pair. Sounds great to me.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 2:17 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I spend $35 on one pair. Sounds great to me.

For pajamas seriously?????

I buy carters 2 packs from kohls when they are on sale and 30% off or from bonton when they have sales. I can even get "matching".
I dont think ive ever paid more than 5$ a pair!. Theyre just pjs. No one sees them...

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 2:19 pm
amother wrote:

I buy carters 2 packs from kohls when they are on sale and 30% off or from bonton when they have sales. I can even get "matching".
I dont think ive ever paid more than 5$ a pair!. Theyre just pjs. No one sees them...

I know I'm stupid. I just can't help myself I wish I would be like you.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 2:21 pm
amother wrote:

When you're rich who cares, its all relative
When my boys were small , I got pjs as hand mne downs or I had no heat or electric or was short on rent

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 2:28 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
When you're rich who cares, its all relative
When my boys were small , I got pjs as hand mne downs or I had no heat or electric or was short on rent

Who said the poster is rich. Maybe she is or maybe she isnt. She didnt say.

tovli toraspicha

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 2:38 pm
It's really all relative. When I buy pj's it's usually $4-7 a pair and I cringe and find that a lot because I use hand me downs and when I buy, it's almost always on clearance with a coupon.
But I know people who think $15 a pair are a steal and still others who love to buy certain kinds that are more costly. And that's not even talking about the few people I know who can spend whatever they want and will buy things at prices I can't wrap my head around.

sprayonlove

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 2:41 pm
$35 for a few pairs of pajamas sounds very reasonable to me. To me the price should also be relative to how many times it will be worn..which is every night.. So don't worry you will get your money's worth out of it!

pause

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 5:59 pm
I recently ordered these exact pajamas for $4.99 each and free shipping. I bought 3. http://www.childrensplace.com/.....3-696 (Now they're a dollar more, I see.) So I'm with you on feeling that $35 is a lot, but sometimes you just need something and life costs money, y'know?

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 7:36 pm
Thanks for the validation, ladies!
DC generally has (somewhat leaky) dirty diapers overnight, so I always wash his PJs after one wear. I also don't have my own washing machine, so I need to have enough pairs of PJs in case I don't get a chance to wash. So $35 was for 5 pairs.

yogabird

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 7:41 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I know I'm stupid. I just can't help myself I wish I would be like you.

Did you change your screen name or was I reading it wrong all along?

noosheen

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 8:46 pm
Cobalt - $35.00 for 5 pairs of pjs????????

I think thats friggin pretty cheap to me!!!!!!

That's 7 bucks a pair with free shipping - and you are complaining! wow.

pause

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 8:56 pm
yogabird wrote:
Did you change your screen name or was I reading it wrong all along?
She recently changed it after she had a 3rd boy.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:
Who said the poster is rich. Maybe she is or maybe she isnt. She didnt say.

Lol. Not rich. (I wish). Sometimes I just get gripped by this crazy urge. I dont usually find for less than $15, so I consider that a good deal.

Last edited by mommy3b2c on Wed, Mar 16 2016, 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adela

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 9:25 pm
I would spend $20 - $30 on a pajamas. $15 would be a bargain!

youngishbear

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 9:26 pm
Adela wrote:
I would spend $20 - $30 on a pajamas. $15 would be a bargain!

Where can I find velour pjs for $20? I've never seen velours anywhere besides local stores.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 9:26 pm
http://m.kohls.com/product/prd.....t.jsp
Kohls has 30% off for card holders (100% worth it to get a card) plus there is a 10 off 30$ code for kids clothes. So its 21$ for 4 pairs. I didnt even check clearance. This is just current items. You can almost always get for 5$ or less.

Adela

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 9:52 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Where can I find velour pjs for $20? I've never seen velours anywhere besides local stores.

I found cheap velours by Kraus Kids in Brooklyn. I also only found that only the local stores sell velours.
I also had a hard time finding velours this season for a good price.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics