Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Vacationing in Kentucky

sweet pickle

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 10:01 am
Me and My husband are planning a trip to kentucky in a week or so we are planning to stay in a bed and breakfast and bring our own food along but we were wondering if there happen to be any kosher resturants near louisville. so we wouldnt have to bbq every night

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 10:59 am
they must hve a chabad house there.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 11:05 am
There is a chabad house, I do think the win-dixie has kosher meats avail.

I am nto sure of kosher restaurants

3706 Dutchmans Lane
Louisville, KY 40205 USA
Phone: 502-459-1770
Fax: 502-451-3123

Rabbi Avrohom Litvin, Co-director
Rabbi Yossi Levy, Outreach Director
Rabbi Naftali Michalowsky, Education Director
Mrs. Goldie Litvin, Co-director

According to this webpage
http://www.hanefesh.com/location/Kentucky.htm

There is one kosher restaurant, and if I remember it was at the JCC. But even when I lived there, and newly BT, I did not consider it kosher..

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 12:18 pm
No, last time I was in Louisville, there was nothing, and it probably has disintegrated since then.

Kroger's though has some kosher food there. The situation is pretty shvach there.
The JCC is next to Anshei Sfard where Rabbi Litvin is the the Rabbi (I don't recall any chabad house per se. my guess is that it's Rabbi Litvin's house or the shul next to it)
I once at in a JCC, but if memory serves me correctly that was in Indianapolis, and not Lousiville....my memory is fuzzy.
(I really should just call my mother; she was there Sunday)

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 12:21 pm
yeah the chabad house has it's own minyan inside Anshei Sfard.

I have not been to Kentucky in years, but I doubt it has changed much...
Rabbi Litvin's family is wonderful, you should call them.

I did live there for like 18-19 years, until I graduated high school and then moved...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 12:24 pm
Oh, MM, I wondered when you left . . . I was shy to ask . . .

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 12:26 pm
LOl yup, born there, but day after high school graduation I packed my car and left Smile

Was to hard to become more religious in my mom's home...

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 12:37 pm
I was curious too ... Wink

hey I was in Kentucky for a sholom zochor and bris a couple of years back ... and I also know the Mrs. Goldie ... she is kool ...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 1:12 pm
I ate a few lunches by the Litvins. When I was younger, their daughter who is about 4 years younger than me decided she wanted to be my friend (I am still honored Wink) as there really aren't frum people around, so whenever I went, I was usually invited Smile

My mother grew up there back in the 50's. We used to go often until my grandmother was nifteres 10 years ago, and we still go to visit every so often (I think I'm related to half the Jewish population there in one way or another, though I really don't know how). My great-uncle still lives there (my mother visited him Sunday); my mother has a second cousin she's close with (she visited my family last week...), so we still have some shaychus, but much less than we did back when my grandmother was alive.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 1:22 pm
well my grandmother is still alive, but major dimentia..

I have not been back to Kentucky probably in 8 years, last time my daughter was just learning how to walk. Guess I really do not feel a connection there, nor do I miss it

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 2:59 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I ate a few lunches by the Litvins. When I was younger, their daughter who is about 4 years younger than me decided she wanted to be my friend (I am still honored Wink) as there really aren't frum people around, so whenever I went, I was usually invited Smile

so you're a youngen too!!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 3:27 pm
greenfire wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

so you're a youngen too!!!

Yup Wink

(I guess. Not sure the point...but I'm not embarrassed or proud. I just am what I am. Smile)

It's funny, MM....I do feel a kesher to Louisville, even though I never lived there. I don't know. Maybe it's pity, and it excites me anytime we discuss Yiddishkeit there, as perhaps there still is hope.

Chaya123

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 4:02 pm
Just curious why you chose Kentucky for vacation? Are there any interesting things to do there?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 4:35 pm
I just want to let you know that Mrs Litvin just had a baby and her daughter is getting married in a few weeks so I would recommend calling before relying on them.
In general, it's always good to make contact before you travel as one never knows other people's circumstances.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 4:34 pm
Mazel Tov *2!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics