Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Stupid Sundays
Previous  1  2

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 9:32 am
Move to Israel and you will never have another Sunday.

heidi

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 4:00 pm
amother wrote:
You have to get out, and also add more structure to your time at home.

If the kids are up at 6:30 and the 2-year-old doesn't nap until 12, you have plenty of time to get out earlier in the day, which will give them time to burn off some energy and have a change of scenery.

Go to a park (yes, even in the winter), an indoor play space, join some local places - like a children's museum and a zoo - so you can alternate between a few familiar places.

By the time you come home, you'll all be ready for some quiet time, and that 12-2 block can be low-key for everyone, not just the kid who naps.

Then you just have 2-5:30 to get through, which can be games/toys/planned craft/backyard play/neighbor or cousin visit/helping to make supper/reading books etc.

This!!!
When we lived in America we did our Sundays to the fullest- -and yes DH worked most of them. It was my time with the kids and we did lots of fun stuff.
And then we moved to Israel. Where there is no Sunday. Trust me, you don't know what you have until it's gone.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 4:37 pm
Gettinf out is nice, but I think it's all about planning. Even if you stay home. I always have one activity per Sunday. Can be making cookies, nothing too hard.
Also, put on music. Try to lighten the atmosphere. It helps.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 4:49 pm
My oldest has a half day of school on Sunday so its a good motivation to get out and see some fresh air. I will try and use the mornings for errands or an activity my younger kids would like and the older would not.

After he is done some weeks we do an activity like going to see my mom, a community event if there is one, when the weather is nice some times we go to a park that is driving distance away. Other weeks we might chill at home or do an errand.

In the winter shabbos is our chill time. I go out to take my oldest to pirchei but that is usually it so I am eager to get out a bit on Sundays. I make a much bigger deal about summer sundays when there is no school. I try and do educational trips as many weeks as I can since camp trips are usually to the more fun places that I dont enjoy.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 7:30 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
I like your style, Mauve amama!

Yeah...seems proportionaly we're of the school of bad thought Wink
Now we need to do a poll how many moms that ran to the museums parks and play dates had better kids in the long run.!!

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 7:39 pm
amother wrote:
Please please stop making op (and me) feel guilty for these types of sundays...I always hate Sundays...I have newborn and no car, so no, we aren't gping out in the freezing...Sometimes, friends come over randomly, but me and the kids are totally lazy...and yes going crazy...and when her husband comes home, YES, she can go take a break...she is working too! With thr kids! Without a lunch break or quiet yime etc...

Please dont feel guilty! I honestly believe this generation does too much for their kids and burnout is highest ever(just read some other threads!). I'm always a cheerful mom. I love shmoozing to my kids. I never do what I dont want to do. Easy dinners. Easy way out of everything in fact... I'm chilled out. Never need vacation(dw dh and I carve alone time) Sit on the couch alot. My kids are doing well bh. Actually I get the same line from every rebbe and teacher every yr "you can tell ur child comes from a good home"
They should only know I leave them to their own devices on sundays!!! Scandalous!!
Sorry I aint riding the guilt train on this one!
And im clearly outnumbered!!

loveit

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 7:43 pm
I think you have to adjust your mindset. Growing up Sunday’s were a day to chill out but that doesn’t exist now that you have children until they iyh are married with families of their own. So, stop throbbing of Sunday’s as your off day so you aren’t resentful that you are the sole caregiver for the day. If you are a SAHM then just remind yourself you’ll have time to relax Monday morning and all through the week. If you work then try to think of Sunday’s as a day to really spend quality time with your children and make fun memories.

Like other said, you have a large chunk, really about 5 hours before your toddler’s nap to do something that gets the kids out even if it’s just your weekly Costco trip etc feel yourbkids they can have a soda after if they behave well. Let them run around the park etc. then they will be happy to entertain themselves or at least be more relaxed during the little ones nap. After nap time give them all a snack and start bath time. We always do bath time earlier because it’s an activity that makes the time pass. Then dinner and boom the kids are fed, bathed, feel like they’ve had attention so they will be well behaved when daddy comes home. Then maybe instead of escaping to your room you’ll feel a bit more relaxed and can at least be present on the couch while your husband spends time with them reading books etc. I assume they all are in bed by 630/7

Just remember this isn’t forever. Either your husband’s job will change or eventually the kids get older and more able to entertain themselves. Your Sunday situation is the reality for many Mom’s during school breaks, exp if they don’t send to camp. It’s no different except you have an advantage: it’s only one day a week.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:10 am
I LOVE my week end. Outing if we want, not outing if we don't, I can do my shopping... Now, if your husband works, it's different. That must be really hard.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:12 am
amother wrote:
Please please stop making op (and me) feel guilty for these types of sundays...I always hate Sundays...I have newborn and no car, so no, we aren't gping out in the freezing...Sometimes, friends come over randomly, but me and the kids are totally lazy...and yes going crazy...and when her husband comes home, YES, she can go take a break...she is working too! With thr kids! Without a lunch break or quiet yime etc...

She asked for some easy solutions.

STMommy

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 2:53 pm
Hi OP
I like to think of things that are a little "messier" to do on Sundays because there's more time to clean up and the clean up becomes an activity.
such as :
-spread out a plastic tablecloth and let the kids play with Play-Doh or watercolor paint
-fill the tub with bubbles and bathtoys and let them "go swimming"
-put on music and have a "dance party" - the kids take turns being "dance motivators" like at
Bar/Bat Mitzvah party and everyone else has to copy them, and they can use props to act as the "shtick"
-have the kids create and decorate a blank oak tag which will be their mitzvah chart for the week, they decide what they're working on and can earn a dollar if they have enough checks on their mitzvah chart - then on sundays you can take them to the dollar store to pick one thing to spend their dollar on, and they make their chart for the following week
-bake with them - I have a recipe for healthy muffins that we all eat as a quick take-away breakfast or snack so we make that together and then I have muffins for the week - there are tons of healthy recipes for muffins, oatmeal bars, etc that you can bake with your kids and everyone can enjoy

Good luck!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics