Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
4 yr old refuses to take antibiotics
1  2  Next

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 8:55 pm
My 4 yr old is refusing to take antibiotics (for positive strep). He clenches his teeth shut, and when I try to force it in, it's impossible- whatever does go in, he spits right out.
I'm not going through this twice a day until the medication is finished! I feel like a horrible parent and anyway, he's barely getting any medicine because he spits it all out.
Please please help!!
They said there's no chewable form Sad

bsy

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 8:58 pm
I remember as kids, we used to put the medicine in a cup of juice (orange, grape is even better) and drink with a straw. If it still tastes bad, show him how cool it is that if he holds his nose, he won't even taste it. That worked for my siblings.

octopus

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:00 pm
One of my kids I had to give a spoonful of sugar like in Mary Poppins.

Mommy1:)

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:12 pm
I had to take one of my children to the pediatrician for antibiotics by injection. Not saying that's what will help/be needed, but your pediatrician could be a good resource for you and help you come up with ways to overcome this.

Also, some antibiotics taste awful. The pediatrician may suggest a change to one that is more tolerable.

Hatzlacha and refuah shelaima!

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:16 pm
I'm so glad u chimed in. I had a child who would not take antibiotics and would make herself throw up when I did get it down so my Dr gave her injection of antibiotics instead! People thought it was crazy! Glad I'm not the only one who's Dr does this

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:40 pm
ME TOO!

That's what happened with my son! I brought the medication to the doctors office, they gave it to him, and he vomited it right up... so they went to the shot. I think it's important to talk to the pediatrician - and to find one who will do whatever it takes to get your munchkin better.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:
I'm so glad u chimed in. I had a child who would not take antibiotics and would make herself throw up when I did get it down so my Dr gave her injection of antibiotics instead! People thought it was crazy! Glad I'm not the only one who's Dr does this

Did you have to go to the dr for ten days of injections , or was it just one?

Lilkingdom

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:47 pm
My daughter was like that at this age. I tried working with a prize chart for the mornings. At night I would wait until she was asleep and then lift her head up and inject the dropper. She did not choke but swallowed and didn't even wake up. Saved me a whole lot of trouble.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:49 pm
One of my vivid childhood memories was being about five and refusing to take antibiotics for an earache. My parents threatened to leave me behind when they took all the other kids somewhere and they did and I remember watching the car drive off without me. 😰

So I learned to take pills when I was about five so I would never be left home again.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:49 pm
amother wrote:
Did you have to go to the dr for ten days of injections , or was it just one?

Once

baker1

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 10:08 pm
I buy a special bottle of soda for that child , only to drink when he takes his meds. I keep it in the fridge right near his meds. It works like magic!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 10:37 pm
I give my kids a little nosh like a square of chocolate, a jelly, skiddle... to hold while they take the meds & they put it right in their mouths. Bh it works.

Mindys_mommy

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 10:42 pm
I had the same with my 2 year old and Dr. prescribed antibiotic suppositories. Worked for us...

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 10:44 pm
GossipGirl wrote:
I had the same with my 2 year old and Dr. prescribed antibiotic suppositories. Worked for us...

Love your username Smile
I wonder if they make amoxicillin suppositories. I'll try to find out tomrrow. It's either that, an injection, or nothing.
I tried every bribe, I tried mixing it with other drinks...no luck.

Stars

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 10:54 pm
baker1 wrote:
I buy a special bottle of soda for that child , only to drink when he takes his meds. I keep it in the fridge right near his meds. It works like magic!

We did this! We had a bottle of vitamin water (refilled with light grape juice + water shhh don't tell) right next to the meds specially for after taking medicine. My kid also did better taking the medication when he was the one responsible for reminding me. He loves being in charge of his own stuff, so that worked for us. Honestly though, I felt bad about the taste he had to endure. He almost gagged on it every time.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 1:52 am
There are specialty pharmacies that can compound any medication into a suppository form. Or the pediatrician can give the child an antibiotic shot. The child will need about two doses of the shot.

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 2:00 am
Some antibiotics have options of flavors.
We found that the two companies here taste different. One dd9 took fine, raving about the flavor, the other she refused. We were able to convince her a few times, but she didn’t finish the round.
Try a different brand, or ask for flavors.

Miri7

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 2:20 am
amother wrote:
Love your username Smile
I wonder if they make amoxicillin suppositories. I'll try to find out tomrrow. It's either that, an injection, or nothing.
I tried every bribe, I tried mixing it with other drinks...no luck.

I had the opposite problem. 4 yo managed to climb into the fridge and open the childproof bottle and drink it all. Fortunately I learned that that much amoxicillin isn’t harmful. But yikes it gave me a scare.

When we have to take medicine the kids really hate we also pick a treat to accompany it like other have suggested. Ice cream, soda, chocolate. Whatever gets the medicine to go down!

Teomima

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 2:29 am
As others have said, there are different types that taste differently, maybe the doctor could prescribe another "flavor." Also, I've had success adding chocolate syrup to oral medication. As much as necessary to mask the medicinal taste. Dilute it with milk if that helps and tell them it's just extra chocolatey chocolate milk.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 5:28 am
how terrible would it be if he didnt take the antibiotics? here in the uk we dont do strep test and meds are rarely given for sore throats, swollen tonsils or earaches unless the paitent is very unwell with it (high fever etc).
bih my kids are on antibiotics maybe once every couple of years! I know in the wonderful us of a they are quicker to prescribe. just my two cents!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics