Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
In which countries does your LOR forbi drinking cholov Stam?
1  2  Next

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:24 pm
This question is obviously not for those whose LOR only permits CY at all times.

But if your LOR holds that chalav Stam is permissible some places, have you ever gotten a psak about another country and been told that you can't rely on chalav Stam there? Which country or countries?

I'm not looking to debate the reasons behind any of these psakim (feel free to start a spin-off) or to reconsider the psak I got, but just interested in which countries people have gotten which responses for?

I've been told I cannot rely on Chalav Stam in the country I'm in now (one of the Gulf states), and this query was inspired by the bitterness of my black coffee.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:31 pm
amother wrote:

I've been told I cannot rely on Chalav Stam in the country I'm in now (one of the Gulf states), and this query was inspired by the bitterness of my black coffee.

Not a question that I've had to ask... but I love the bolded. Maybe change it up and add a bit of sugar? (I know... not the same).

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:36 pm
amother wrote:
Not a question that I've had to ask... but I love the bolded. Maybe change it up and add a bit of sugar? (I know... not the same).

You're right, sugar does help. Last time I was here I was able to find an imported flavored children's milk in cartons from the US, so all my coffee was milked and sugared after that. But I haven't been to the supermarket yet on this round.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:45 pm
I don't know if this will make you feel better, but we are never allowed cholov stam. We fly/drive with frozen CY milk anywhere where getting CY milk is an issue.

Maybe you can use powdered milk in your coffee.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know if this will make you feel better, but we are never allowed cholov stam. We fly/drive with frozen CY milk anywhere where getting CY milk is an issue.

Maybe you can use powdered milk in your coffee.

Not better exactly. But it does give me more perspective on what that's like and I appreciate my relative freedom more when I get home. Sort of like how Pesach makes me appreciate how many different things are allowed under regular kashrut.

ggdm

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 12:53 pm
The reverse question has been asked on MiYodea:
https://judaism.stackexchange......-milk

Thei positive list from the answers is rather short though and I see only India and China mentioned negatively.

simcha2

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 1:18 pm
Not a halachic comment.
But if you're in a gulf state, I'm assuming it's a Muslim country. If so, I'm surprised (no, I'm not questioning) the psak. They have the same avoidance of certain animal milks that we do.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 1:42 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Not a halachic comment.
But if you're in a gulf state, I'm assuming it's a Muslim country. If so, I'm surprised (no, I'm not questioning) the psak. They have the same avoidance of certain animal milks that we do.

They do drink milk of other animals (mare, etc.). The laws regarding mixing milks are less stringent, or nonexistent.

agreer

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 1:45 pm
Now I'm so curious...where are you?!

simcha2

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 1:47 pm
Iymnok wrote:
They do drink milk of other animals (mare, etc.). The laws regarding mixing milks are less stringent, or nonexistent.

Fascinating. Never knew humans drank mare milk.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 2:05 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Not a halachic comment.

I read somewhere (I don't have the quote in front of me) that Rabbi Belsky paskened you can't drink milk in those countries because they often mix in camels milk. Not a psak actually, just a fact.

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 2:07 pm
Yes, mare and camel milk is the concern.

People used to bathe in donkey milk.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 2:41 pm
We were told that you can't drink "chalav stam" milk anywhere in Europe, due to the prevalence of milking (and consuming the milk of) non-kosher animals.

As a side point, it is possible to purchase camel milk near me (I live in California). It priced out to around $200/gallon.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 2:49 pm
amother wrote:
We were told that you can't drink "chalav stam" milk anywhere in Europe, due to the prevalence of milking (and consuming the milk of) non-kosher animals.

As a side point, it is possible to purchase camel milk near me (I live in California). It priced out to around $200/gallon.

In most EU countries frum people drink chalav stam afaik. I don't because I am chabad but other frum people do.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 2:52 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I read somewhere (I don't have the quote in front of me) that Rabbi Belsky paskened you can't drink milk in those countries because they often mix in camels milk. Not a psak actually, just a fact.

When I traveled to Muslim countries, I was told (by a Rav) that I could drink chalav stam because of the reasons mentioned by Simcha2.

kakky

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 2:54 pm
in hong kong they imports chalav stam from australia.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
When I traveled to Muslim countries, I was told (by a Rav) that I could drink chalav stam because of the reasons mentioned by Simcha2.

On page 329, Rav Belsky book:

A military chaplain... the only milk available said product of KSA 100% cows milk... I sent an email to Rav Belsky... in all likelihood the container had camels milk... Somalia and Saudia Arabia are the world's largest producers of camels milk... have never met anyone other than Rav Belsky [who knew this].

Story paraphrased.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 3:39 pm
amother wrote:

RIDIC. Chalav stam heterim COME FROM EUROPE

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:

Non-dairy creamer? Do NOT try soy/rice milk!

Cmon be nice

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 4:33 pm
My understanding is the heter is for countries that only allow milk to be called milk if ut comes fron cows only. A Rav would have to know that information before giving a psak and assuming it is regulated there would be no reason to asur
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen