Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Unpopular Opinions
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11 16  17  18  Next

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 11:43 am
Cheiny wrote:
I imagine they do it only because they saw someone else wear it first. I can’t imagine that if someone had never seen a grown woman put on a Pom Pom (which previously were only seen on children) that they’d think, hey I’d look good in my child’s hat! I really think it looks ridiculous.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

But so is mommy3b2c.

And it may well be that she has great taste, and your taste, well, isn't so great. At least as to this matter.

boots

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 11:48 am
please please keep it light and civil... this thread is too interesting to get locked

debsey

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:05 pm
1) Animal prints are only attractive on animals.

2) pizza is a perfectly acceptable breakfast for kids.

3) there's no halacha that says you MUST serve milchigs on Thursday night.

4) Lakewood is not the root of all evil. Most of us are just normal people, with normal human frailties and strengths and weaknesses and most of us are nice and friendly.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:05 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
More ...

Unless you need your kids to be up at 4:30 in the morning, putting kids to bed before 7:30 is absurd.

Working mothers are every bit as good parents as non-working mothers

Father are parents do. They don't "babysit," they "parent." And they can do it every bit as well as a woman.

Can you elaborate on your first point?
I put my kids in at 6 because I need to do things at night that I can't do while my kids are awake. I don't mind that they wake up at 6 am.

InnerMe

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:06 pm
debsey wrote:

4) Lakewood is not the root of all evil. Most of us are just normal people, with normal human frailties and strengths and weaknesses and most of us are nice and friendly.

And here I thought that the halacha was for Wednesday. Scratching Head

chanchy123

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:07 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Then you disagree with what the Torah says. I learned that a huge percentage of people in the cemetery are there due to ayin hara.

Where does the Torah mention Ayin Harah??

debsey

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:08 pm
InnerMe wrote:
And here I thought that the halacha was for Wednesday. Scratching Head
tut, tut.....come to Lakewood and learn the REAL halacha......lol LOL Wink

keym

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:13 pm
debsey wrote:

According to my kids, the Lakewood Halacha is not milchigs Thurs night, its pizza. Its brought down in a sefer somewhere.
"He who does not serve pizza Thursday night, will forever be labeled a nerd, embarrass her children and RUIN THEIR LIVES FOREVER."

sub

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:14 pm
Cheiny wrote:
So which actions do you think should be taken if the child breaks the rules, or is a very bad influence on other students, or is excessively violent, etc.?

These are extremes. Why do school not accept based on silly nonsense such as shirt colour

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:16 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Can you elaborate on your first point?
I put my kids in at 6 because I need to do things at night that I can't do while my kids are awake. I don't mind that they wake up at 6 am.

Its my opinion. You obviously disagree. That's what this thread is about.

I don't want to go into it further, as it may be perceived as commentary on others' parenting. I'm not going there.

gingertop

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:17 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I don't think it's a cop out at all. Without naming names of the inferior and turgid stuff, I've found that some of the historical fiction is awesome. I don't think just anyone could do what Leah Gebber or E. G. Schwartz have done, even if given all the material. Oh, and The Exiles of Crocodile Island: not just anyone could have written that either.

I agree that some historical fiction is awesome. Maybe because I cannot write, I find well written literature to be something like magic. But I like history and can be obsessed about details so historical research seems attainable.

I agree that Leah Gebber and Henya Meyer and EG Schwartz are gifted writers as well as researchers.

InnerMe

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:20 pm
gingertop wrote:
I agree that some historical fiction is awesome. Maybe because I cannot write, I find well written literature to be something like magic. But I like history and can be obsessed about details so historical research seems attainable.

I agree that Leah Gebber and Henya Meyer and EG Schwartz are gifted writers as well as researchers.

Historical fiction is not my thing but I loved Miriam Zakon's "Freefall" which took place in during WWII but from an American angle. The emotions she put in there was so real and touchable.

debsey

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:24 pm
keym wrote:
According to my kids, the Lakewood Halacha is not milchigs Thurs night, its pizza. Its brought down in a sefer somewhere.
"He who does not serve pizza Thursday night, will forever be labeled a nerd, embarrass her children and RUIN THEIR LIVES FOREVER."

......I'm willing to risk it....Shhh, don't tell anyone, I have kids in shidduchim.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:34 pm
keym wrote:

AND motzie Shabbos And YT. If you are not found waiting on a long line of an established pizza store mtshb you must reevaluate your priorities.

And motzie pesach pizza is a yeharaig Vaal yaavor...

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:39 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Might your dh’s saying he loves you in pompom hats possibly because you’ve made it clear to him how much you love the way you look in them? Perhaps he’s not stupid enough to say, “Honey, why are you wearing 2- year old Brachala’s hat?”

Lol. You certainly don’t know my husband. And he’s not stupid, just blunt.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:14 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
More ...

Unless you need your kids to be up at 4:30 in the morning, putting kids to bed before 7:30 is absurd.

Father are parents do. They don't "babysit," they "parent." And they can do it every bit as well as a woman.

Thank you!!! I can’t stand when people say “my husband is babysitting.” Like what?! Did you hire him?
My husband calls it fighting for “men’s rights”

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:15 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
More ...

Thank you!!! I can’t stand when people say “my husband is babysitting.” Like what?! Did you hire him?
My husband calls it fighting for “men’s rights”

gingertop

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:20 pm
I'm itching to say another unpopular opinion but it's too sensitive for this chatty thread. Oh well. Maybe one day I'll have the patience to start a thread on controversial topics and argue with every single person on this board.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:32 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Then you disagree with what the Torah says. I learned that a huge percentage of people in the cemetery are there due to ayin hara.

I should have clarified. It’s not that I am saying there is no source for it, but people take it way too far. Hashem isn’t this vengeful G-d who goes “huh, people are noticing how cute your kid is? They are jealous? I will strike you down then... Mwahahaha!”
Like, cmon. I know people who get upset if you compliment them or their kids because of ayin hara.
I heard Rabbi Avogadro Miller explain ayin hara as follows: when someone purposefully rubs salt into someone’s wounds and touts their good fortune to someone else who they know is struggling, and that person cries out in pain “why do they deserve it and I don’t?” Then sometimes the malachim ask Hashem “why takka? This person not only doesn’t appreciate their good fortune, but is using it to hurt others. Maybe they don’t deserve it after all?”
It’s not about your neighbor gushing over how smart your kid is, or you innocently sharing good news.
And don’t get me started on the red bracelets and magical hot lead rituals.
(Ironic coming from someone who believes in unicorns, I know...)

nechamashifra

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:34 pm
My unpopular opinion: It is not better to be an extrovert than an introvert.

I find that everywhere you turn, people are encouraged to be extroverts. From job openings: "looking for upbeat, people-person" to society in general "you need to get out more" "why don't you join our n'shei watsapp group?" to imamother posts "my daughter doesn't want to go to camp".

I have yet to come across an extrovert being encouraged to become an introvert. Why is the opposite ok?
Page 10 of 18   Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics