Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Unpopular Opinions
  Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14 16  17  18  Next

SuperWify

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 11:29 am
livinginflatbus wrote:
To clarify I’m referring to those people who complain about all the Lakewood rules and stuff then move there for the cheap housing . So all I’m saying is that it’s a package deal if you come for the housing you need to keep in mind everything else .

Oh I 100% agree!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 11:47 am
dena613 wrote:
Not the r'em. You mean the tachash. Oros techashim.

I stand corrected! That was it! it's been a while since 10th grade.....

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 11:58 am
nechamashifra wrote:
My unpopular opinion: It is not better to be an extrovert than an introvert.

I find that everywhere you turn, people are encouraged to be extroverts. From job openings: "looking for upbeat, people-person" to society in general "you need to get out more" "why don't you join our n'shei watsapp group?" to imamother posts "my daughter doesn't want to go to camp".

I have yet to come across an extrovert being encouraged to become an introvert. Why is the opposite ok?

That's an unpopular opinion?

My DD is introverted and does fabulously at her present job. They appreciate that she's a great worker, focused on getting the job done, and wastes little time shmoozing.

I think people don't know what an introvert is. (Hint: they are not shy.) And BTW, she loved camp....but had more than enough going for one half per summer.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:00 pm
Another unpopular opinion of mine- newlywed couples must go on mandatory birth control for at least six-12 months after the wedding.

It goes hand in hand with stopping the baby making pressure. (Which is very real any way you slice it.)

Last edited by SuperWify on Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

sarah58

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:00 pm
misrael wrote:

childrens books are the best

this!! 100% though its not unpopular.... ever read The Scar?! best book ever

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:03 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Another unpopular opinion of mine- newlywed couples must go on mandatory birth control for at least six-12 months after the wedding.

It goes hand in hand with stopping the baby making pressure. (Which is very real any way you slice it.)

My sis is a doctor and she says she is seeing this more and more, across all circles (yeshivish, chassidish, etc...)

pause

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:03 pm
dankbar wrote:
Actually people don't even know why milchig is a thing on Wed or Thu, idk if actual halacha or not, but it stems from being brought in seforim to refrain from eating meat before shabbos so it should feel special when you eat it on shabbos.

It is a minhag to refrain from fleishigs on Wednesday because that's the day of the week the Bais Hamikdash was destroyed. I don't have a source though.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:26 pm
SuperWify wrote:

Just curious why?
I think mandatory bc after each baby makes more sense. We should have to ask for a heter to NOT be on bc LOL

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:32 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Yes but that is on Friday, not Wednesday and Thursday, no?
I think the Thursday minhag is because women are busy cooking for shabbos so they need an easy dinner. Hence pizza.

I read of this minhag in a cookbook written by Claudia Roden, an Egyptian Jew. In an introduction one of her recipes she says that thursday night meat was not served.

penguin

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:35 pm
It is a minhag to refrain from fleishigs on Wednesday because that's the day of the week the Bais Hamikdash was destroyed. I don't have a source though.

I thought it's because of askerah - (probably diptheria or pertussis) - which was more of a danger on Wednesday. But then again I think there's something with the Me'oros & Me'eirahh - curse, from sheishes y'mei breishis. Very vague recollections though...

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:44 pm
penguin wrote:

I thought it's because of askerah - (probably diptheria or pertussis) - which was more of a danger on Wednesday. But then again I think there's something with the Me'oros & Me'eirahh - curse, from sheishes y'mei breishis. Very vague recollections though...

Probably the difference between Wednesday/Thursday had to do with the part of the world you were from, I.e. when the zman was and if supper was usually eaten before or after.

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:45 pm
Unpopular opinion:

Most gay people will not be happy and fulfilled living a life of celibacy and staying frum. There is no realistic option for them and this is a serious problem facing the frum world.

ora_43

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 2:02 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Arabic is an ethnicity. Muslim is a religion.

Arab is an ethnicity that rarely if ever included Jews. The term "Arab Jew" was created by non-Jewish Arabs to support their arguments against Zionism.

That said some Jews with middle eastern roots do identify as Arab. But the vast majority don't, and more than that, might find it offensive. My advice, don't use "Arab Jew" unless 1. you're talking about yourself, 2. the other person uses it first.

Last edited by ora_43 on Thu, Nov 15 2018, 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

ora_43

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 2:05 pm
This xkcd is timely:

ora_43

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 2:53 pm
I'm honestly not sure how unpopular the following opinions are. Let's find out!

1. The increasingly close relationship between orthodoxy and right-wing politics is weird and unhealthy.

2. That said, every time I start moving closer to what passes for the left these days, I end up taking a step back in the other direction.

3. It is very strange that avoiding music, books, plays, etc, not produced by frum Jews is such a big deal in the frum world, when it's such an esoteric spiritual thing that's not even universally considered beneficial. It just feels so random. Why not say that to be really frum, you have to read the entire book of Tehillim every day (but can still listen to Luis Fonsi)?

4. Women should stop complaining on Facebook that women's clothes don't have pockets, and should start refusing to buy clothes without pockets (OK that's probably not all that unpopular, it's just that it's my only opinion about fashion).

SuperWify

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 4:54 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Just curious why?
I think mandatory bc after each baby makes more sense. We should have to ask for a heter to NOT be on bc LOL

Why- very simple:

- if chas vshslom there’s serious issues with either partner they can end the marriage before there are kids in the picture. Look how many young couples divorce with one or two karbonos or stayed married for the kids and stay miserable.

- even if the marriage is healthy the couple should have time to fall and stay in love and build a solid foundation before the wives are sick and nauseous and the babies start crying and bills start piling... the next 20-30 years will be spent raising the kids... can’t they have some moments to themselves??

Yes BC after a baby is a obvious must. I was making a less obvious point.

(Don’t kill me for this unpopular opinion- but I think parents should not ttc until their baby is at least 1 1/2- 2 years old.)

fraimal

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:22 pm
NovelConcept wrote:
More opinions. (Yes, I'm a very opinionated person.)
2. Tznuis issues aside... Don't wear a long sheitel if you don't know how to manage it! They can be glamorous or just make you look like you got into a fight with an animal... and lost.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

sub

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:31 pm
NovelConcept wrote:
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please people, TURN IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!

Our son ln law is a musician. He says that every time he turns down the volume the chassons freinds come and tell him to turn it up.

Last edited by sub on Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

sub

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:38 pm
Laiya wrote:
Homework in younger grades is not beneficial, pits parents against their kids, and we'd all be better off without it.

Then why do I get complaints from parents that I'm the only teacher who gives little or no hw.

Last edited by sub on Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

boots

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:45 pm
sub wrote:
Then why do I get complaints from parents that I'm the only teacher who gives little or no hw. Many times if we finish the lesson early I will tell them to do their hw for other subjects snd help them with it. You should see their excitment of going home hw free

check the title of this thread
Page 13 of 18   Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics