Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
If you run a HS that does not accept every applicant
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 2:44 pm
DD's current school is a public charter school for kids who have slipped between the cracks educationally. They have the Smart, Average, Dumb, and Bum classes separated by subject.

The school doesn't care what grade you are supposed to be in, or how old you are. You get the class that is at your level, so there's no stress to keep up if it's too hard, and you don't get bored if it's too easy.

She and her friends absolutely love the system, and are motivated to do well. Everything is scored by credits, and it's quite democratic.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
How on earth could this work? (It clearly didn't exist when my kids applied.) Too many schools are simply too far apart, and have transportation issues. It would be lovely to tell me that although I live in Connecticut, my kid is now lucky to have a spot on Long Island. Also meaningless, given the commute.

It's been a few years since I was involved, so I don't know if I am totally up to date. What I saw was that students were placed locally as much as possible. No one was commuting from Connecticut to Long Island. Even Queens to Long Island was a stretch. In the vast majority of cases, kids got into their first or second choice school, anyhow.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 2:49 pm
amother wrote:
It's been a few years since I was involved, so I don't know if I am totally up to date. What I saw was that students were placed locally as much as possible. No one was commuting from Connecticut to Long Island. Even Queens to Long Island was a stretch. In the vast majority of cases, kids got into their first or second choice school, anyhow.

Yes, most kids get into a school they selected.

In any case, I can think of kids as recently as 7 years ago who didn't get into high schools.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 2:55 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, most kids get into a school they selected.

In any case, I can think of kids as recently as 7 years ago who didn't get into high schools.

I'm really sorry to hear about that. But as I said in my very first post, sometimes there's really no way to meet a child's needs,
and sometimes there's a reason for rejection that isn't public knowledge. I can vouch for school administrators doing everything they can to see every child placed. But it's terribly painful to think of kids being left out in the cold.

chestnut

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 2:59 pm
amother wrote:
I clarified above that it wasn't for SUBJECTS. You were in the dumb class all the way through. I don't think it is good for students to feel lumped into categories like that. The "smart" class was all superior and stuck-up, and the "bum" class felt that rebellion was expected from them and it just made things worse.

Trying to keep all kids in environments identical to how the administration sees them is not a good thing IMHO.

Ok, I hear you. The existence of the Bum class wasn't right. Regarding dividing by classes, not subjects - while the latter is definitely much better, I think the former is still better than having completely mixed classes with weaker students sitting there as furniture and real smart ones being bored cause the teacher usually follows the average students' speed.
Don't (some) girls who go out to resource room also feel "less than" or stupid? But it's really for their good
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics