Home

Raw Tuna from Bingo

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Finances

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:45 pm
Can you eat it raw? What type of tuna is is exactly?
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 12:26 am
I don’t know Bingo specifically but generally fish that is intended to be eaten raw is specifically sold as sushi grade. It is generally very fresh and free of parasites. There is a huge difference in taste between good sushi fish and bad sushi fish which is why many mediocre sushi restaurants sell fancy sushi that is disguised with sauces and other strong seasonings.
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 9:30 am
Amarante wrote:
I don’t know Bingo specifically but generally fish that is intended to be eaten raw is specifically sold as sushi grade. It is generally very fresh and free of parasites. There is a huge difference in taste between good sushi fish and bad sushi fish which is why many mediocre sushi restaurants sell fancy sushi that is disguised with sauces and other strong seasonings.

Thank you! But looking for info on tuna from Bingo
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 9:38 am
Their tuna is the same as other local fish places. Frozen during one season only and sold all year. Try it. Their tuna looked really nice and red when I was there last.
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 9:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you! But looking for info on tuna from Bingo

Her answer applies to Bingo and to all other places that sell raw tuna. You need to ask if it is sushi grade. They should have a label to show you. If it is sushi grade, then yes, its good to eat raw. If its not, then eat it at your own risk. You need to ask yourself and be an informed consumer.

And what ra-mom said also. Just about every kosher place in the States uses frozen raw tuna or salmon in their sushi. No one is going to the docks or the early morning fish markets to buy real sushi grade fish. Again, eat at your own risk.
Back to top

amother




Bisque


Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:07 am
If the fish is fresh enough, you can deep freeze it to make it safe to eat raw.
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:10 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
If the fish is fresh enough, you can deep freeze it to make it safe to eat raw.

The fish comes frozen from Bingo
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:22 am
As posted, it is doubtful whether the tuna sold by Bingo is of the high quality that is considered to be sushi grade tuna.

If you are used to mediocre sushi which is disguised by sauces and spices, then it is fine. If yo are used to eating sushi grade sashimi or nigiri then it wouldn't be acceptable.
Back to top

amother




Bisque


Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The fish comes frozen from Bingo

Bingo doesn't certify that it has been frozen to safety standards.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:31 am
Go to Freunds fish store, they also have a separate sushi shop, and ask for sushi grade tuna. See if it's any different. My experience is that it's not. It still tastes good as a chopped tuna tartar or with small pieces in a sushi roll.
Back to top

amother




Burlywood


Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:12 am
I have bought raw tuna from bingo, moisha’s, and glattmatt. While I have eaten both the moisha’s and glattmart raw I would never eat the bingo raw.
Bingo is definitely a much lower quality - even when cooking it.
It has a much fishier taste.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:14 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I have bought raw tuna from bingo, moisha’s, and glattmatt. While I have eaten both the moisha’s and glattmart raw I would never eat the bingo raw.
Bingo is definitely a much lower quality - even when cooking it.
It has a much fishier taste.


Very Happy Good fish should never smell fishy. Very Happy

When I introduced my mother to sushi - the real nigiri rolls which means the fish has to stand on its own with no sauces, spices and not chopped up - she couldn't believe that it had absolutely no fishy odor or taste. She ate it with her fingers and even her fingers had no fishy after smell.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Finances

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Bingo Supermarket Bklyn, question
by amother
2 Sat, Nov 30 2019, 11:32 pm View last post
Is it possible to bake raw shnitzel at 200 on yom tov???
by artsy
5 Sun, Oct 13 2019, 5:32 pm View last post
Bingo Coming to Monsey!
by amother
36 Sun, Oct 13 2019, 1:44 am View last post
Bingo folding chairs 3 Mon, Oct 07 2019, 12:02 pm View last post
Israeli Ceviche aka Choppd Salad with Raw Salmon 0 Sun, Oct 06 2019, 11:18 am View last post

Jump to: