Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Posts to Rile
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 4:34 pm
Do you think some posters post just to rile people up? Or respond with unnecessary rudeness/nastiness just to get heated responses?

I think some do.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 4:40 pm
It could be, but you don't necessarily know one way or another.

Some posters respond rudely or nastily because they're in a bad mood or the topic/post they're responding to is a trigger for them.

I'd guess that the preachers are trying to rile people up. Like amother Goldenrod from the sheitels thread.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 4:43 pm
To be the devil's advocate - she might be triggered.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 4:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To be the devil's advocate - goldenrod might be triggered.

That's called PREACHING, whichever way you slice it. Triggered or not, we're not in church here.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 4:55 pm
I don't think anyone says anything to get others reactions. I think they just say what's on their minds.

I find imamother to be a strange community. There's incredible amounts of intolerance across the board. From the right to the left. But then BH if a poster is actually suffering everyone comes together to show love and support.

Amother goldenrod was voicing her opinion. But most people didn't like it care to hear it. I understood what she was thinking even if I didn't agree.

For the most part. Unless we are talking about kugel ... Wait scratch that not even kugel is safe... Everyone's mean streak comes out.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 5:17 pm
Lately I’ve seen that an op asks for help and people respond with their advice that’s so off point or unhelpful.

3examples that irked me today:

1. Doona thread- op asked about buying a doona for the airport. Everyone responded use a baby carrier, use this stroller, use that... hello I know your trying to help but op wants a doona! She doesn’t want a carrier. Thanks but no thanks.

2. Kallah jewelry- op asked for advice on what regular litvish kallahs get. I answered with the basics for those circles. A poster responded omg I’m so happy not to be part of a such a community who cares so much for such things blah blah blah. Start a spinoff to complain of you care so much, stop bashing here please.

3. Not nursing thread- op asked not to give advice on how to make nursing work, she wanted to know about bottle feeding not nursing... I’ll admit I was not nice at all to the poster that offered advice. I’m sorry I was tough. Truly.

I’m fairly frustrated though with people responding on advice that’s if little relevance. There were times I had started my own threads and not only did I not get advice or support I got the opposite. Can we try to remember op is being vulnerable by asking for help? Can we try not to push our own agendas onto her? Who is with me?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 5:24 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Can we try to remember op is being vulnerable by asking for help? Can we try not to push our own agendas onto her? Who is with me?

Yes - I am.
Some posts don't seem to regard vulnerable op's as a human being on the other end of the computer.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 5:24 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
That's called PREACHING, whichever way you slice it. Triggered or not, we're not in church here.

Yep, you're right.

banana123

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 5:29 pm
I don't think anyone is purposely trying to rile people up. Here's what I do think:
1) Tone doesn't always come off well in posts.
2) Some of us express emotion/ sympathy/ tolerance better in writing than others do.
3) Some people have very firm opinions.
4) Some people are very insecure, or are triggered by certain things.
5) Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint exactly what's bothering you about a certain post, so you start arguing about it and then realize that you're not upset because of what the person chose but because of the value they place on that choice.
For instance in the siblings traveling for weddings thread, someone might think it is totally fine that I skipped a wedding, and would have done the same in my position, but she took issue with the fact that I said I'm not willing to get into debt for a family member. In her opinion, if you can't make it then that happens sometimes, but don't justify that or imply that not borrowing money to attend your sibling's wedding is the best route to take. (This is theoretical, I don't think anyone over there said this.)

Einikel

SuperWify wrote:
Lately I’ve seen that an op asks for help and people respond with their advice that’s so off point or unhelpful.

1. Doona thread- op asked about buying a doona for the airport. Everyone responded use a baby carrier, use this stroller, use that... hello I know your trying to help but op wants a doona! She doesn’t want a carrier. Thanks but no thanks.

2. Kallah jewelry- op asked for advice on what regular litvish kallahs get. I answered with the basics for those circles. A poster responded omg I’m so happy not to be part of a such a community who cares so much for such things blah blah blah. Start a spinoff to complain of you care so much, stop bashing here please.

3. Not nursing thread- op asked not to give advice on how to make nursing work, she wanted to know about bottle feeding not nursing... I’ll admit I was not nice at all to the poster that offered advice. I’m sorry I was tough. Truly.

I’m fairly frustrated though with people responding on advice that’s if little relevance. There were times I had started my own threads and not only did I not get advice or support I got the opposite. Can we try to remember op is being vulnerable by asking for help? Can we try not to push our own agendas onto her? Who is with me?
💯💯💯💯

banana123

amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
It could be, but you don't necessarily know one way or another.

Some posters respond rudely or nastily because they're in a bad mood or the topic/post they're responding to is a trigger for them.

I'd guess that the preachers are trying to rile people up. Like amother Goldenrod from the sheitels thread.

I really think pointing out specific people crosses a red line.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 5:30 pm
I've been accused several times of lying when I was telling the truth. The problem is that you don't know me in real life. If you knew me in real life then you would see that I am speaking the truth, and not trying to rile people up.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 5:34 pm
banana123 wrote:

You're right. I feel bad. Not sure how to delete my post.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 6:46 pm
banana123 wrote:

Then report my post and have it removed.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 6:49 pm
banana123 wrote:

Even if they're amother?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 6:50 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Even if they're amother?

Debatable. But she still has anonymous feelings.

malki2

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 6:55 pm
I know that I’ve riled some people up pretty seriously with some of my posts. Maybe some of you are being polite and not calling me out by name. So I’m going to speak for myself a little. If none of you were referring to me, then chalk it up to paranoia.
I happen to be very passionate about ideas. I also feel that sometimes the other side of the story is not properly exposited on this site, so I try to be that voice and I sometimes use a little hyperbole to get my point across. Where I work, we have a rule, which is that you can say whatever you want to someone, as long as you say it respectfully. Unfortunately, I think that some people are not able to accept the ideas that I am putting forth, and they get personally affronted or “riled” as you put it. Perhaps the following explanation is also relevant: I heard a lecture from Mordechai Weinberger that everyone’s natures are a combination of the four elements of Fire, Water, Earth and Air. He said that people whose natures are of Fire, and of Water, are much more contentious than those whose natures are of the other two. Fire/Water people just love to argue and debate, while Earth/Air people can’t stand it. So maybe my nature is more Fire/Water and others are more Earth/Air. I don’t know. But that’s what I have to say for now.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 6:56 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Even if they're amother?

If there is any chance she could be sincere or genuine, or when it's almost certain that's not the case?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 8:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you think some posters post just to rile people up? Or respond with unnecessary rudeness/nastiness just to get heated responses?

I think some do.

💯

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 8:03 pm
SuperWify wrote:

Me! 💯

Some days, I just want to post "thanks for derailing the thread" on very other thread!
I mean, why??
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics