Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Enchiladas or Other Mexican-type Casserole

penina

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 12:06 pm
I'm so in the mood for cheesy Mexican food, but I want it to stretch for 2 nights and lunch at work so I'm looking for a casserole type idea. Preferably enchiladas. I need it to be milchig but I don't know what to put in there. I'm thinking refried beans? Help!

mimivan

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 5:29 pm
hey, I just made this last week. You can make two if you double the recipe.

First make tortillas
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

mix together and add

2-3 teaspoons oil or shortnening

Mix into the dry mixture until it resembles the texture of corn meal. Then add
3/4 cup water or apple juice (the latter for mezonos tortillas) water makes them hamotzi.

Mix about 20 times and let sit for 15 minutes.

Roll the dough very thin onto the floured sheet. Cut out circles (use a plate). Stuff with filling of your choice. I used rice and lentils.
roll into burrito shape and cook in a 250 oven for about 20 minutes until the outsides get a bit brown. Add cheeses of your choice (I used yellow cheese and sour cream or Israeli cheese) and salsa. Bake another ten minutes. Serve with sour cream, guacamole, pinto beans, and sprinkle with cilantro (or your choice of stuff...but keep some extra salsa for serving them)

I love this dish!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 5:59 pm
I purchase tortillas and stuff them with:
-beans
-(I use either heinz vegetarian baked beans as is or kidney beans pulsed in the food processor a few times).
-cheese
-fake ground beef (such as morningstar farms grillers crumbles
-spices: chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, taco seasoning if you have it
salsa

Top with guacomole and sour cream

You can also make it like a lasagna and layer the tortillas in a pan with the beans, cheese, etc.

penina

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 9:04 pm
mimivan wrote:
hey, I just made this last week. You can make two if you double the recipe.

First make tortillas
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

mix together and add

2-3 teaspoons oil or shortnening

Mix into the dry mixture until it resembles the texture of corn meal. Then add
3/4 cup water or apple juice (the latter for mezonos tortillas) water makes them hamotzi.

Mix about 20 times and let sit for 15 minutes.

Roll the dough very thin onto the floured sheet. Cut out circles (use a plate). Stuff with filling of your choice. I used rice and lentils.
roll into burrito shape and cook in a 250 oven for about 20 minutes until the outsides get a bit brown. Add cheeses of your choice (I used yellow cheese and sour cream or Israeli cheese) and salsa. Bake another ten minutes. Serve with sour cream, guacamole, pinto beans, and sprinkle with cilantro (or your choice of stuff...but keep some extra salsa for serving them)

I love this dish!

Ok, slight halachic question. Let's say I took your hamotzi tortillas and stuffed them with and then put them all in a 9X13 pan, grated cheese over them with some sauce... would I still make hamotzi on them? No, right? What would you make instead?

mimivan

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 9:57 pm
You've stumped me...because I've only made them mezonot so far...

good question...I'd like to know the answer

(I was thinking in terms of hamotzi or mezonot about the dry tortillas, but about the enchiladas? hmm)

penina

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 4:27 pm
I don't think if you make the tortillas into a casserole that you make hamotzi on them because thats not the main part of the dish, the filling is. Sort of like you don't have to wash on bread pudding because its a whole different animal once it becomes bread pudding.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 5:05 pm
1 cup rice
1 small can corn
1 reg can beans
1 reg can tomatoes/chiles/jalopenos
cheese if you want it milchig
taco sauce...

cook the rice by the directions, add the rest and heat through.

I like white indian basmati rice the best most of the time, but it gets pretty mushy in this, so just for this dish, I personally go with short grain brown rice.

ok, the bracha is controversial... Smile

mimivan

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 5:25 pm
penina wrote:
I don't think if you make the tortillas into a casserole that you make hamotzi on them because thats not the main part of the dish, the filling is. Sort of like you don't have to wash on bread pudding because its a whole different animal once it becomes bread pudding.

Yes, I mentioned the beracha question because I was posting recipes for plain tortillas (then it is an issue) Thanks for the correction! Enjoy! Very Happy

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 5:51 pm
This is the way I was taught how to make enchiladas. Is that you put chopped onion other veggies maybe some beans and shredded cheese (yellow) put that in a torilla and roll it up seam side down. line up all of them in a pan then put cheese on top and then pour enchilada sauce on top and bake.

To make mexican rice. take short grain rice and chopped onion and fry with a little bit of oil for about 10 mins of so. Then add water with tomato sauce and maybe a can of chopped tomatoes. spices are garlic cumin pepper and salt. sometimes I add in a can of corn too.bring to a boil and then simmer with the top on it for like 30 min or so.

Sorry there are no amounts in my recipe. I just eyeball it alot when I cook. Especially this recipe. My whole family loves this rice.

BlumaG

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 2:15 pm
tortillas r not hamotzi bc fried not baked

I grate cheese n roll inside of corn tortillas dipped in enchilada sauce then sprinkle cheese n chopped onion on top, pour rest on enchilada sauce on top nm bake for 20-25 min 375F

mamacita

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 4:13 pm
Ahem, being that I'm from Texas I'd like to step in with a recipe and what my rav (several and dh) have said. Tortillas are not fried because fried means cooked in oil, and tortillas are pan cooked dry. Breadpudding actually changes the form of the bread through the soaking, while enchiladas don't, so tortillas should all be hamotzi if the dough is hamotzi.

I prefer corn in any case. Smile

My recipe from savingdinner.com:

tortilla chips (or tortillas, or laffa)
pinto, black, kidney, white, or mix beans
salsa
sour cream
cheese

Layer and bake. Enjoy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals