Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Unorthodox on Netflix
  Previous  1  2  3  4 20  21  22  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 6:05 pm
I haven't started watching it. Just saw the trailer and I'm offended the main charachter has my name!!
I never read the book because I thought it was stupid but reading the comments here has piqued my curiosity

pause

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 6:21 pm
The book is as bad as this show.

Some more funny observations:

- No yungerman will wear a cap and put his peyos up at the same time as wearing his reckel. Either no reckel and cap or reckel and no cap. They don't need to wear something on top of their kappel all the time.

- The chuppa is just plain weird. At the badeken, the mechutan doesn't know the words to odi shoma... and it's obvious. There's no music which is unusual. The chosson doesn't give the kallah the wine to drink nor does she have her face unveiled before the end of the chuppah. The shtreimlach of all those men look ridiculous, and they don't fit. Women who cover their sheitel with a band don't wear a tichel tied under their neck; that's only for women who usually don't cover their sheitel at all.

- The mikva scene was surprisingly pretty accurate. I was sure they'd exploit that.

- The talleisim are off. AFAIK, a Satmar yungerman doesn't usually have that kind of atarah. The other guy has no atarah at all.

I'll be back. I'm enjoying this too much!

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 6:31 pm
I'll be back. I'm enjoying this too much![/quote]

By golly, do keep posting!

I knew sury as a young girl, and cannot bring myself to read the book or watch the movie.

But your comments are loads of fun!

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 6:39 pm
sequoia wrote:
Watched the entire thing plus making of.

It was okay. Not great but not terrible.

I just watched the first episode. I do not like the main character and feel that there are enough OTD women (and men) who want to act that could have played that role so there is no reason to take outsiders anymore. Having actors who grew up in that community would have made it more authentic.

Another thing was the Yiddish accent was really bad for the most part and didnt sound like Chasidish Yiddish accent at all (with the exception of the actor who played the Rabbi and maybe the bubby). The clothing could have been better, the stores in WB and BP have really nice clothing that many Chasidishe women wear (yes, even those with shpitzels).

Esty had dirty blond hair as an unmarried girl but somehow that became a dark brown wig as a married person which didnt make sense either as having a blondish wig is perfectly acceptable in chasidish wb (although the shaved head is a nice touch and I hope they show how its shaved after the wedding as well as the mikvah).

They also show that her father had a cell phone when he went to collect rent from the tenant (the music teacher when Esty was younger) which would be inaccurate based on the timeline since there were no cell phones back in the day (and certainly not in wb).

The scenes from Germany were strange but has no reflection on Chasidish Williamsburg.

The confusing part was that she did not have kids in the beginning, did not go to Germany with a kid but somehow they decided that there was a kid involved when they sat at the Rabbis table (which would never happen in Chasidish Williamsburg either). And that is why the Rabbi told the husband to pick up Esty from Germany? I didnt understand that story line at all since there was no kid to begin with so not sure why the husband had to go to Germany in the first place.

Ok, these are some of my thoughts for part 1, now I'll watch part 2 even if its a little boring and uninteresting (just out of curiousity).

pause

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 6:44 pm
- Yichud room everything is wrong order. The couple first enjoys quiet alone time and then gets served the meal.
- At the dancing her hair is all covered. If that's their minhag (lol), it would have been that way prior to the chuppah.
- The mechitzah at that wedding is definitely not kosher!
- The mitzva tantz: kids sleeping on the floor - good... Men sitting facing women? Dreadful! The music is sorely lacking there too. And the same rhyme in the grammen? Bad badchan...
- IRL single girls don't watch the kallah's upsherin.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 7:01 pm
- White nightgown and they're having s-x? Bad move. White is for niddah.
- No f0replay at all? Very very very rare.
- Why are they dressed while being intimate? Both of them ought to be completely naked.
- Women, even Bubby, wouldn't wear a turban in the presence of the Rebbe.
- The aunt Malka is confused, sometimes she covers her sheitel and sometimes she doesn't? Her band is missing in the Rebbe's room.

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 7:43 pm
And since when can’t girls play Musial instruments? And why is everyone’s tichel touching their eyebrows? Lol

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 7:55 pm
pause wrote:
Accents and costumes are off. Which woman wears her multi strand pearl necklace Sunday morning? Wink

As I said on the other thread, may you live a long life. That is a reference to a different film with similar inaccuracies.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 7:59 pm
pause wrote:
- Yichud room everything is wrong order. The couple first enjoys quiet alone time and then gets served the meal.
- At the dancing her hair is all covered. If that's their minhag (lol), it would have been that way prior to the chuppah.
- The mechitzah at that wedding is definitely not kosher!
- The mitzva tantz: kids sleeping on the floor - good... Men sitting facing women? Dreadful! The music is sorely lacking there too. And the same rhyme in the grammen? Bad badchan...
- IRL single girls don't watch the kallah's upsherin.

I don't know this story, didn't read the book, or watch the movie, but you're probably not chassidish because:
Chassidish kallahs do have uncovered hair before the chuppah, and cover it after the chuppah.
And IRL NOBODY "watches" the kallahs upsherin. It's just her mother (doing the shaving) or nobody, if she chooses to do it herself.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:00 pm
I am watching the wedding scene in part 2 and am realizing that the costumes, I mean outfits are more Israeli than chasidish wb. And the Shtreimels, for the most part, dont fit on heads correctly so it looks more like a Purim play (or Russian fiddler on the roof type) than a chasidishe wb wedding. That combined with the horrible yiddish accents tells me that this is more of an Israeli film than a chasidishe wb film. Too bad that they didnt take real otd people to do this, it would have been authentic and better.

freilich

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:18 pm
I didn't watch it. But from the comments here, it seems like the producers where not looking for authenticity. They're trying more to do a second fiddler on the roof kind of show.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:42 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
As I said on the other thread, may you live a long life. That is a reference to a different film with similar inaccuracies.

Huh?
I mean, umein. But what are you trying to say?

pause

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:44 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I don't know this story, didn't read the book, or watch the movie, but you're probably not chassidish because:
Chassidish kallahs do have uncovered hair before the chuppah, and cover it after the chuppah.
And IRL NOBODY "watches" the kallahs upsherin. It's just her mother (doing the shaving) or nobody, if she chooses to do it herself.

Excuse me? I am chassidish, but because you didn't watch the movie, you have no idea what I'm commenting on. Please refrain from replying to my comments before you watch the movie. You have no idea what I'm talking about, so you can't criticize my critique.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:46 pm
pause wrote:
Huh?
I mean, umein. But what are you trying to say?

Put in the effort and read what you quoted (on your post).

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:48 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:

It was a translation of "zei gezunt".

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:50 pm
pause wrote:
Excuse me? I am chassidish, but because you didn't watch the movie, you have no idea what I'm commenting on. Please refrain from replying to my comments before you watch the movie. You have no idea what I'm talking about, so you can't criticize my critique.

Hey... chill. I'm sorry. I admit that I have no idea what you're talking about and I did preface my post by saying that I didn't watch the movie.
I was only commenting on what you said that if her hair is uncovered before the chuppah it wouldn't be covered after, which is not true. If according to the movie what you said means something else, I stand corrected.
I just commented because I know that by the Litvishe oilem some people have the minhag of covering their hair from the beginning of the chasunah while others don't cover at all, while by chassidim the standard is to only cover from after the chuppah.

I'm truly sorry for offending you, and will hereby keep off threads I have no business being on.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:50 pm
freilich wrote:
I didn't watch it. But from the comments here, it seems like the producers where not looking for authenticity. They're trying more to do a second fiddler on the roof kind of show.

They were trying to produce entertainment. Its not billed as a documentary.

crust

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:55 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Hey... chill. I'm sorry. I admit that I have no idea what you're talking about and I did preface my post by saying that I didn't watch the movie.
I was only commenting on what you said that if her hair is uncovered before the chuppah it wouldn't be covered after, which is not true. If according to the movie what you said means something else, I stand corrected.
I just commented because I know that by the Litvishe oilem some people have the minhag of covering their hair from the beginning of the chasunah while others don't cover at all, while by chassidim the standard is to only cover from after the chuppah.

I'm truly sorry for offending you, and will hereby keep off threads I have no business being on.

They cover by the chuppah

Or should I say it?

Giving stuff for Netflix with which to create another horribly distorted movie so baseless haters should have why to hate us even more. Sigh

I didnt watch it but the trailer is symbolic of what the entire show is all about.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:56 pm
*casually eats popcorn*

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:59 pm
crust wrote:
They cover by the chuppah

Or should I say it?

Giving stuff for Netflix with which to create another horribly distorted movie so baseless haters should have why to hate us even more. Sigh

I didnt watch it but the trailer is symbolic of what the entire show is all about.

Sorry... if your post is intended for me, I'm not quite following.
Page 3 of 22   Previous  1  2  3  4 20  21  22  Next Recent Topics