Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Unorthodox on Netflix
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 20  21  22  Next

crust

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:03 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Sorry... if your post is intended for me, I'm not quite following.

Wasn't intended for you or anyone on this thread.

In general I am hesitant if I should post anything about my community online.

I dont want to be contributing to a future movie.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:05 pm
pause wrote:
-
- The mitzva tantz: kids sleeping on the floor - good... Men sitting facing women? Dreadful!

I have no interest in reading the book or watching the show, but every mitzva tantz I’ve been to had the men facing the women. How else would they do it?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:11 pm
crust wrote:
Wasn't intended for you or anyone on this thread.

In general I am hesitant if I should post anything about my community online.

I dont want to be contributing to a future movie.

Makes sense.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:15 pm
Rollers in his peyos???? Really?

WhatFor

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:28 pm
Haven't watched it yet but look forward to it, but the kind of carelessness described here drives me insane. When I watched Disobedience it totally took me out of the story to just comment on what they're doing that's off/wrong. Can't they pay people from the community to ensure authenticity? Lazy lazy lazy.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:33 pm
Psuse I'm finding your comments entertaining!
Disclaimer I didn't watch the movie.
Can you clarify what you saw in the movie so your commentary makes more sense?
When you say she would've covered before the chuppah do you mean after badeken but before the chuppah begins? If yes then that's true, most very chassidishe I know, if they cover their hair after the chuppah it will already be covered under the chuppah. (Usually with a decorated white cap or similar)
About mitzvah tantz- what do you mean? I don't think I've ever been to a MT where the men weren't seated opposite the women. Miles apart but still facing each other.
Upsherin- what do you mean that irl single girls don't watch? Afaik nobody watches. It's not a thing to watch. It's a private moment where it's usually the Mom that gets the honor of shaving off all that hair.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:39 pm
I just watched the trailer. Shira Hass is a brilliant actor but wow, the producers couldn't be more off.

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:06 pm
“Is that a (gulp) smartphone?”
“Yeah”
“So I can look up anything in the world in it? Anything?”
“Probably, yeah”
*grabs phone and yells at it*
“Where is my wife?!”

OMG I don’t know if I should laugh or cry. NO ONE is that stupid or clueless about technology.

Also I can’t decide which time period they are trying to showcase. There are obviously phones and smartphones, but everyone is dressed and decorates like it is 50 years ago. And who stays home before they have kids to be a housewife cooking and baking and “gein bazichen mit di andere veiber (goes and visits the other women)” nowadays?!

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:14 pm
These movies always make me extremely curious what little things they get wrong about other cultures.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:32 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I have no interest in reading the book or watching the show, but every mitzva tantz I’ve been to had the men facing the women. How else would they do it?

Men generally sit on the other side of the hall opposite the women, but they don't sit lined up facing them as is portrayed here. In fact most men sit purposely facing a different direction.

Last edited by pause on Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

pause

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:37 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Psuse I'm finding your comments entertaining!
Disclaimer I didn't watch the movie.
Can you clarify what you saw in the movie so your commentary makes more sense?
When you say she would've covered before the chuppah do you mean after badeken but before the chuppah begins? If yes then that's true, most very chassidishe I know, if they cover their hair after the chuppah it will already be covered under the chuppah. (Usually with a decorated white cap or similar)
About mitzvah tantz- what do you mean? I don't think I've ever been to a MT where the men weren't seated opposite the women. Miles apart but still facing each other.
Upsherin- what do you mean that irl single girls don't watch? Afaik nobody watches. It's not a thing to watch. It's a private moment where it's usually the Mom that gets the honor of shaving off all that hair.

In the movie, her hair is exposed during the chuppah and immediately after. By the dancing, her head is fully covered with those white fancy bathing caps... not even a sheitel. People who wear these head coverings wear them to the chuppah too.

See my post above MT

In the movie, there are three girls in the room watching her aunt shave her while she's crying. It just adds to the horror of the scene but is not ever done IRL.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:40 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Put in the effort and read what you quoted (on your post).

If you'd like to explain, great. Otherwise, I'm Scratching Head

I hope everything is ok by you. Sincerely.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:41 pm
freilich wrote:
I didn't watch it. But from the comments here, it seems like the producers where not looking for authenticity. They're trying more to do a second fiddler on the roof kind of show.

In the "Making of Unorthodox" the producers talk extensively about how they tried to get all the details right. They made two visits to Williamsburg but shot the whole film in Berlin.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:42 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
It was a translation of "zei gezunt".

What

asmileaday

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:46 pm
pause wrote:
What

If I remember correctly, in a different movie (maybe disobedience?) the characters were constantly greeting each other with the phrase may you have a good life. Total inaccurate portrayal of how chassidim greet each other.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:46 pm
Pause, I meant that you can only read the white text I wrote on your post where you quoted me, because quotes get a blue background. But because the blue is so light, it still takes quite an effort to read it. It's like invisible ink.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:48 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Pause, I meant that you can only read the white text I wrote on your post where you quoted me, because quotes get a blue background. But because the blue is so light, it still takes quite an effort to read it.

LOL

Now I get it and I see my interpretation of your comment was correct.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:49 pm
I didn't watch Disobedience, so I didn't get the reference. Isn't easier to just explain?

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:52 pm
https://youtu.be/lb_uwSN9L3k

Went to search on you tube and this documentary with same name came up.
Worth watching.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:42 pm
Q. Does WB have an Eruv? Do satmarers use them?

The s-x was awful. Yanky seems like a nice guy who loves his wife...why does he not know about f0replay? Why isn't Esty told about it by the therapist she sees?

It would have been much more realistic to have Esty work as a barista or cleaning lady while she pulls herself up, rather then stumble into a music school which magically has a scholarship to offer which of course she wins. Real life is not like that. (Also, aren't universities in Germany free?)

And she magically makes friends with literally the first people she meets...
Page 4 of 22   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 20  21  22  Next Recent Topics