Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Why do you consider me selfish?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 6:00 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Just because others are being irresponsible doesn't mean it is the right thing to do.

Apparently 1 out of every 77 residents of NYC aged 75 and over has passed away due to Covid. That is a very high number.

There is a great deal not known about this disease and they find out new things every day. They thought that children were safe and apparently they are far from safe.

The thing that is different about this disease is that you not only endanger yourself when you go out, fail to wear a mask, or act irresponsibly, you are potentially harming many others. We have all virtually become walking armed weapons.

But thats exactly what Im saying. It is completely useless for me to stay home, if half the city is going out. It is useless for me to wear a mask, if our officials are not wearing masks.

If you actually believed when ppl dont wear masks or go out, they are endangering others, how would that help if it is being spread by the rest 50 percent?
Its like allowing a fire to burn halfways only.

In fact, we will have it worse, bc it seems the virus is going to hang around, infect at a mildly slower pace, but then keep reinfecting. This can go on for several years even. In the meantime kids will stay locked up, elderly left to die, and people without jobs. We know that these will not lead to good things..

You know why calls got less and hospitals emptier (as per medical ppl we spoke to)? Bc 75% of us have had it already. If the rest will get over it, we can move on.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 6:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But thats exactly what Im saying. It is completely useless for me to stay home, if half the city is going out. It is useless for me to wear a mask, if our officials are not wearing masks.

If you actually believed when ppl dont wear masks or go out, they are endangering others, how would that help if it is being spread by the rest 50 percent?

In fact, we will have it worse, bc it seems the virus is going to hang around, infect at a mildly slower pace, but then keep reinfecting. This can go on for several years even. In the meantime kids will stay locked up, elderly left to die, and people without jobs. We know that these will not lead to good things..

You know why calls got less and hospitals emptier (as per medical ppl we spoke to)? Bc 75% of us have had it already. If the rest will get over it, we can move on.

if you go out and have Covid-19 and are wearing a mask - its not useless. What does it matter that officials aren't, or any one else?

I get you are frustrated - but you aren't being rational.

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 6:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not sure that 75% have had it. Apparently the latest studies on antibodies found that while 99% of people who tested positive had antibodies 24 days after recovery, only 35% of those who experienced symptoms but were never tested, had antibodies. That would indicate that although many people were sick with something, it may not have been COVID 19.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 6:17 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
if you go out and have Covid-19 and are wearing a mask - its not useless. What does it matter that officials aren't, or any one else?

I get you are frustrated - but you aren't being rational.

Obviously I'm not referring to someone not feeling well. I'm talking about those that are feeling fine, or have gotten over it.

It's not me being frustrated. If it doesnt make sense, I will ask questions.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 6:23 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Not sure that 75% have had it. Apparently the latest studies on antibodies found that while 99% of people who tested positive had antibodies 24 days after recovery, only 35% of those who experienced symptoms but were never tested, had antibodies. That would indicate that although many people were sick with something, it may not have been COVID 19.

Im giving an approximate estimate. My daughter works in the Urgent Care where hundreds test every day. The many people I speak to every day also mostly had it, some of them with very mild symptoms

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 7:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Obviously I'm not referring to someone not feeling well. I'm talking about those that are feeling fine, or have gotten over it.

It's not me being frustrated. If it doesnt make sense, I will ask questions.

I thought at this point it was well understood that people spread this virus without having symptoms. Is the jury out on immunity? I don't know.

What doesn't make sense? a person doesn't become less contagious because someone else isn't wearing a mask.

do you think the political officials have secret information don't have?

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:14 pm
The last estimates I saw (trying to find source) were that 20% of NY'ers had it. Herd immunity requires 80% to have had it. That is a big gap.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:45 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
The last estimates I saw (trying to find source) were that 20% of NY'ers had it. Herd immunity requires 80% to have had it. That is a big gap.

Definitely more. Sources are not accurate as not everyone that had it, reported it.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 9:42 pm
Found it:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0......html

based not on the number of people who tested positive but on the number of people in a randomly sampled group that had no known positive test but did have positive antibody test.

This was from April 23 so it is almost certainly more than 20% by now but not anywhere near the 80% required for herd immunity.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:36 pm
I don't know where someone got the 75% statistic. I live in the NY area and I don't have one family member or one close friend who got the virus (yet) beli ayin hara even though there are plenty of people in our areas who have it and I get shiva notices almost every day.

I don't think it's selfish to want to go back into the world freely, but I do think it's selfish to put that desire into action. We still need to take precautions. I have no problem with people opening up their businesses again as long as it's possible to do so with care. That means stores opening but with limited numbers and everyone wearing masks. It means no crowds yet until there is a good way to prove that people aren't contagious.

I don't want my husband going back to work as usual because the only way for him to get there is via public transportation and once he's there he would be dealing with hundreds of people a day. That scares me because I don't want him to get sick and I don't want him to bring the virus into our home. We aren't high risk but from what I've heard this virus is no picnic and some of our contemporaries have suffered complications and even death so I don't take it lightly.

Right now I don't know if we're fine because we haven't been exposed or if we're asymptomatic carriers. I won't take any chances either way. We spend time outside, but only in our backyard or in careful walks around our block avoiding other people. I go grocery shopping once a week with gloves and a mask. We try to do everything else online.

Today, for the very first time, we made socially distanced visits to our parents in honor of Mother's Day. We all wore masks (except for the baby) and we stood in the far corner of their backyards while our parents stayed on their decks. It's not so simple to arrange because we knew we couldn't use any bathrooms from when we left our house until we got back. We actually put our preschool aged child in a pull-up to be safe and it's a good thing we did. It's hard to keep the little ones from running to their grandparents because they don't understand what's going on. However, after all the isolation and distance we've already been through, we're not going to put our parents at risk for the chance of a hug. We're just not at the point where we're willing to take chances without information. Once there are reliable tests and we can know for sure if we're contagious or not, then we can start visiting family normally again. Until then, we'll have to be physically distant but keep each other close in our hearts.

ShishKabob

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:07 pm
Ora in town wrote:
Visit them: they stay on the balcony, you down outside...
This

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:59 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I don't know where someone got the 75% statistic. I live in the NY area and I don't have one family member or one close friend who got the virus (yet) beli ayin hara even though there are plenty of people in our areas who have it and I get shiva notices almost every day.

I don't think it's selfish to want to go back into the world freely, but I do think it's selfish to put that desire into action. We still need to take precautions. I have no problem with people opening up their businesses again as long as it's possible to do so with care. That means stores opening but with limited numbers and everyone wearing masks. It means no crowds yet until there is a good way to prove that people aren't contagious.

I don't want my husband going back to work as usual because the only way for him to get there is via public transportation and once he's there he would be dealing with hundreds of people a day. That scares me because I don't want him to get sick and I don't want him to bring the virus into our home. We aren't high risk but from what I've heard this virus is no picnic and some of our contemporaries have suffered complications and even death so I don't take it lightly.

Right now I don't know if we're fine because we haven't been exposed or if we're asymptomatic carriers. I won't take any chances either way. We spend time outside, but only in our backyard or in careful walks around our block avoiding other people. I go grocery shopping once a week with gloves and a mask. We try to do everything else online.

Today, for the very first time, we made socially distanced visits to our parents in honor of Mother's Day. We all wore masks (except for the baby) and we stood in the far corner of their backyards while our parents stayed on their decks. It's not so simple to arrange because we knew we couldn't use any bathrooms from when we left our house until we got back. We actually put our preschool aged child in a pull-up to be safe and it's a good thing we did. It's hard to keep the little ones from running to their grandparents because they don't understand what's going on. However, after all the isolation and distance we've already been through, we're not going to put our parents at risk for the chance of a hug. We're just not at the point where we're willing to take chances without information. Once there are reliable tests and we can know for sure if we're contagious or not, then we can start visiting family normally again. Until then, we'll have to be physically distant but keep each other close in our hearts.

What youre doing would be ideal if EVERYONE was doing it. However I fail to make sense how this virus will end if 50% of the people are still going around. Does that mean you will stay locked in for months, or rather years? This doesn't sound feasible. If half the people stayed inside for a year, and eventually go out, they will get it anyway, as the other half are passing it around.

And I would not take a source from NY post in April, what Cuomo said, to count on the percentage. He predicted 2.2 million will be by April. According to him, the numbers were going to multiply quickly.

I have a friend who simply did not watch, and in her entire family, noone thinks they had it. I have another friend that her husband had a bad case and she was with him the entire time, never had any symptoms.

So you see that many people were exposed to it, yet their numbers were not counted or they didnt know. And you see that some people got it regardless of masks, etc... my point is, I think we will be going around in circles for a long time.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 12:12 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:

But about 80% of BP and Monsey had it. And since most people are staying local now, the risk of spreading it is really low.

Quote:
don't know where someone got the 75% statistic. live in the NY area and don't have one family member or one close friend who got the virus (yet) beli ayin hara

And all 10 of my siblings (besides one), with their families probably had the virus. Some in BP, some in Monsey. Some confirmed, some not, some asymptomatic.
Another 3 friends and family too.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 3:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What youre doing would be ideal if EVERYONE was doing it. However I fail to make sense how this virus will end if 50% of the people are still going around. Does that mean you will stay locked in for months, or rather years? This doesn't sound feasible. If half the people stayed inside for a year, and eventually go out, they will get it anyway, as the other half are passing it around.

And I would not take a source from NY post in April, what Cuomo said, to count on the percentage. He predicted 2.2 million will be by April. According to him, the numbers were going to multiply quickly.

I have a friend who simply did not watch, and in her entire family, noone thinks they had it. I have another friend that her husband had a bad case and she was with him the entire time, never had any symptoms.

So you see that many people were exposed to it, yet their numbers were not counted or they didnt know. And you see that some people got it regardless of masks, etc... my point is, I think we will be going around in circles for a long time.

Fine - you go and get it. What if I don't want to get sick? And also just because I'm young with no health issues DOES not mean I will be fine. Everyone reacts differently.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 9:58 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Fine - you go and get it. What if I don't want to get sick? And also just because I'm young with no health issues DOES not mean I will be fine. Everyone reacts differently.

You dont have to go out then, if you believe you can prevent it. I'm saying there will always be people going out, and I don't understand how it will end soon. Think about it.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 11:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They want us to come. They are over with the virus, and are crazy lonely. (Its a grandparent from each side, so they are basically both alone)

And 20 ft.?? Why can't we go and stay 6 ft away?

If they HAD the virus I would visit as they probably have immunity.

But I would not hug or kiss and would stay 6 ft apart. And don't use their bathroom if possible.

ora_43

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 11:48 am

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 11:56 am
ora_43 wrote:

The only thing you won't admit is that many people go out, and don't get sick. While people that are locked up, still get sick.
But let's continue living in a bubble.

ora_43

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 12:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's not useless at all.

Someone already posted the Washington Post graphic, which is a good illustration of why it still matters. By being careful, you help to keep the spread of the virus under control, which means that the hospitals won't be overwhelmed with a huge surge of patients all at once.

(Like previous posters, I don't see where "stay in" comes in the picture. There's a whole range of behaviors, some low risk, some high risk. Just because life isn't 100% normal doesn't mean you have to be locked up indoors.)

Quote:

I mean, if you have to have a fire, a slow burn that can be easily steered away from danger zones is much much better than an out of control wildfire.

Quote:

Viruses that infect at a slower pace sometimes mutate to less deadly forms. Viruses that infect more quickly sometimes mutate to more deadly forms. Like the 1918 flu, which started a lot like covid19, then came back as a far nastier virus that could kill healthy young people in hours.

Slower spread means fewer deaths because there will be hospital care for anyone who needs it. If every young healthy person in the country gets it in the same 2-month span, you're looking at a situation where people who could have survived, won't.

And if immunity is temporary, and having the virus doesn't mean milder symptoms the next time, then the only hope is a cure or vaccine no matter how quickly everyone gets the virus. Even if 90% of the population got it tomorrow, the virus would just hang around in the other 10% for a few months, then return next winter.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 12:03 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Just because others are being irresponsible doesn't mean it is the right thing to do.

Apparently 1 out of every 77 residents of NYC aged 75 and over has passed away due to Covid. That is a very high number.

There is a great deal not known about this disease and they find out new things every day. They thought that children were safe and apparently they are far from safe.

The thing that is different about this disease is that you not only endanger yourself when you go out, fail to wear a mask, or act irresponsibly, you are potentially harming many others. We have all virtually become walking armed weapons.

By that reasoning nobody would ever be able to outside ever. After all, you MIGHT have the flu virus and the flu kills tens of thousands of Americans EVERY YEAR.

Not possible to do what you are proposing.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics