Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Update on parks opening
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:57 pm
Is there an update to the parks closures? Were the protests successful?

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is there an update to the parks closures? Were the protests successful?

Parks in NY have never been closed.

It’s up to local municipalities to decide when playgrounds open.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:18 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Parks in NY have never been closed.

It’s up to local municipalities to decide when playgrounds open.

Yeah, well, in boro park and Williamsburg playgrounds are all we've got. Many dont drive, and the little patch of greenery in the playground is all we ever get. Would be nice if someone had pity and allowed them to open. The ones outside our neighborhoods are anyway open. Its only ours that keep getting locked up every day or 2.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:31 pm
If you mean playgrounds, I haven’t heard anything. Ours still have fences around them (although the fences aren’t that tall and kids have just been climbing over them to play anyway).

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:00 pm
No update.
Waiting for DeBozo to have some pity on the little kids who've been climbing the walls for months.

fleetwood

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:32 pm
I'm.confused. Parks are open ,just not the equipment? Is this correct?

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:37 pm
fleetwood wrote:

Yes. Sitting on the grass squashed together like sardines is fine. Kids going up and down the slide is the dangerous issue.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:39 pm
fleetwood wrote:

In my area you can go on the grass but you can’t sit you can’t play basketball you can’t go on the playgrounds and you can’t be on the exercise equipment. Grass can only be fun for so long though we do appreciate the open area. ETA: I’m in NYC. Parks are closed.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:42 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
No update.
Waiting for DeBozo to have some pity on the little kids who've been climbing the walls for months.
Seriously, can we legally be calling it a right to protest if we have signs? I’m actually asking. My other DCs would be happy to have a voice.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:42 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Yes. Sitting on the grass squashed together like sardines is fine. Kids going up and down the slide is the dangerous issue.

Makes a lot of sense to me actually. Playgrounds here in Israel are open and I don't take my kids yet. Hundreds of kids touching the same playground equipment sounds like a disease spreading nightmare.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:44 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
No update.

Why can't they run around and play without going on playground equipment?

I don't get all these sentiments. You're not locked in to your houses, you just need to be more creative. Growing up, we didn't have much in our vicinity in the way of playgrounds and we managed just fine. It's shouldn't be a choice of playground equipment or climbing the walls. There's so many other things to do. It's just a mindset.

fleetwood

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:47 pm
flowerpower wrote:

I think the equipment is closed everywhere , including basketball hoops.

Einikel

amother [ Wine ] wrote:

I don't get all these sentiments. You're not locked in to your houses, you just need to be more creative. Growing up, we didn't have much in our vicinity in the way of playgrounds and we managed just fine. It's shouldn't be a choice of playground equipment or climbing the walls. There's so many other things to do. It's just a mindset.

The parks in BP Williamsburg are essentially only playgrounds. If they close the playgrounds they close the entire park.

amother
Lime

amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Makes a lot of sense to me actually. Playgrounds here in Israel are open and I don't take my kids yet. Hundreds of kids touching the same playground equipment sounds like a disease spreading nightmare.

Our playgrounds were closed right away, back in March I think and yes then it made sense and nobody questioned it. Even though the playgrounds at Prospect Park... were opened for way longer than in our neighborhoods. We only started requesting that they reopen, the last 2 weeks when it no longer makes sense to keep them closed.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:49 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

I have my older kids in mind more than the younger ones. A buchor has way too much energy to not have real exercise. Even DDs need multiple walks.

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:54 pm
fleetwood wrote:
I think the equipment is closed everywhere , including basketball hoops.

Nope, the park in my area consists of playground with a bit of surrounding grass, plus a separate gated area for basketball, handball, and exercise equipment. All this in less than the size of a square block, so not really a park, and you can close just the playground without closing off the grass too. So it's been locked for a long time. Every time its locked, someone manages to break the lock within a couple of days (not hidden because it was broken on shabbos and we do live near a non Jewish community too), and then it gets locked again a day or 2 later.
But what do you know, the basketball/ exercise court, frequented by teen who smell of weed all the time so mostly our kids stay away from there, that section has never been locked or closed since March. It's been open all along.

Anyone care to rely to explain that?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have my older kids in mind more than the younger ones. A buchor has way too much energy to not have real exercise. Even DDs need multiple walks.

Playground equipment isn't for older kids. I don't understand. What exercise and walks are your older children being prevented from doing?

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 6:03 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

The park closest to us is only a playground. The little bit of running space is inside the gate and locked also.
The closest open area park is about a 20 minute walk along very main roads and is overcrowded these days, and not at all gated in, so I don't feel safe bringing very small kids there.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 6:04 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Playground equipment isn't for older kids. I don't understand. What exercise and walks are your older children being prevented from doing?

Correct. I said I was referring to my older DCs. Basketball and tennis are both closed. They use both typically and also use indoor pool usually. Parks officers check the parks. The two parks closest to us have built in exercise equipment that they cannot use. They can obviously walk on the sidewalk. My older DCs need to get out to be healthy in all aspects. Usually they would be going to camp.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 7:06 pm
I watched how the police caption told the park department not to close up the 18th avenue park today. The kids were so thankful. Most of them were on their bikes and just wanted to ride around. Lets see how long it lasts.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics