Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Im selling a camera UPDATE: I WAS NEARLY SCAMMED
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 11:38 am
Im selling my Canon camera SX530 HS in brand new condition just the lens cover is a little cracked not the lens.
Will come with case, camera strap, battery, and battery charger
Asking for $200 or best offer

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 12:45 pm
On what planet? Or better yet continent. If you tell me what country you live in others may know if it's more relevant for them....

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 12:47 pm
Located in Lakewood NJ

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 1:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Located in Lakewood NJ

You'd be better off posting in local newspapers, groups, nesheis, than in a massive international forum with users from 10 different countries.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 1:14 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
You'd be better off posting in local newspapers, groups, nesheis, than in a massive international forum with users from 10 different countries.

I dont have anywhere else to post it. I dont have social media or whatsapp....

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 1:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I dont have anywhere else to post it. I dont have social media or whatsapp....

You don't have an e-mail? There's no neshei, e-mail groups, local newspapers?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 1:25 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
You don't have an e-mail? There's no neshei, e-mail groups, local newspapers?

I really dont want to pay for an ad
I dont know of any neshei or email group

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 1:30 pm
Try craigslist. It’s free to list and is the most likely place to locate prospective buyers.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:50 pm
UPDATE: I ended up putting it on craigslist and a real fraud attempted on "buying" it. He sent me a check for the camera plus the delivery guys he also added an extra $100 for the time I was holding it for him. then had me go deposit it and take out the amount to pay the delivery guys. Then he asked me to go to walmart and use it on gift cards and send him a picture of it. I told him no way either you come in front of my house or no camera. I then said how the bank put the check on hold because they realized theres something suspicious about it. He yelled at me that I never told him the check didnt clear and he called me a liar and then he hung up.
So now my bank account is on hold until the check bounces or clears and then the bank will take the necessary actions.
Im still shaking!
Im never selling on craigslist ever again!

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:56 pm
That is a very common scam when you sell something. The giveaway is when someone will pay by check without wanting to look at the thing being sold.

I was thinking of selling some furniture and posted on Craigslist, and immediately got responses from people who offered to buy at full price without looking at it and said they would pay by check and have them picked up. I knew they were scammers because no one doesn’t attempt to haggle on the price and no one buys without seeing in person.

A check is also a common way to scam people since they give a bad check and people don’t realize it until it is too late. It is the reason why people only take cash for sales on Craigslist. No reason a person can’t pay with cash after they have seen something in person.

lk1234

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:00 pm
Oy- that sounds terrible but I don't understand the part about gift cards. Once you were paid and paid the delivery guys why did you have to buy gift cards?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:01 pm
Amarante wrote:
That is a very common scam when you sell something. The giveaway is when someone will pay by check without wanting to look at the thing being sold.

I was thinking of selling some furniture and posted on Craigslist, and immediately got responses from people who offered to buy at full price without looking at it and said they would pay by check and have them picked up. I knew they were scammers because no one doesn’t attempt to haggle on the price and no one buys without seeing in person.

A check is also a common way to scam people since they give a bad check and people don’t realize it until it is too late. It is the reason why people only take cash for sales on Craigslist. No reason a person can’t pay with cash after they have seen something in person.

Do people usually come pick up when selling on craigslist or do they usually send it to them via usps/UPS?
I never knew there would be something wrong with a check. The check looked so real like a regular business check. I even googled the company name where the check came from and its real. I googled the persons name and its also real and from the same state. Why should I think otherwise?

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do people usually come pick up when selling on craigslist or do they usually send it to them via usps/UPS?
I never knew there would be something wrong with a check. The check looked so real like a regular business check. I even googled the company name where the check came from and its real. I googled the persons name and its also real and from the same state. Why should I think otherwise?

Craigslist sales are generally local where people look at item in person.

This would be especially true for a camera or other electronic device. No one is going to buy a camera sight unseen from an unknown seller. Someone might buy a used camera ebay if the seller had a lot of positive ratings so you knew the seller was honest. Also a buyer would be protected through using PayPal.

The use of a check to purchase an item that is supposed to be shipped is a well known scam.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:09 pm
Amarante wrote:
Craigslist sales are generally local where people look at item in person.

This would be especially true for a camera or other electronic device. No one is going to buy a camera sight unseen from an unknown seller. Someone might buy a used camera ebay if the seller had a lot of positive ratings so you knew the seller was honest. Also a buyer would be protected through using PayPal.

The use of a check to purchase an item that is supposed to be shipped is a well known scam.

Ok thanks for keeping me aware. I guess Im naive I didn't know it was a thing. I heard of the walmart gift cards so that turned me off but didnt know a check in itself shouldnt be accepted like that

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok thanks for keeping me aware. I guess Im naive I didn't know it was a thing. I heard of the walmart gift cards so that turned me off but didnt know a check in itself shouldnt be accepted like that

I knew checks were a scam on Craigslist because of my experience trying to sell the furniture. I was immediately suspicious when there was an offer to buy at full price and they were having it picked up sight unseen. As I wrote, no one buys furniture without looking at it and no one buys on Craigslist without haggling so I knew there was something off. I actually got a few offers like this when I listed the furniture so it’s a common scam. They just wait for someone to fall for it since emailing is free. No different than other email scams where you just need one person to fall for it.

I googled check and Craigslist and there were loads of links explaining how this was a common scam.

enneamom

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

How would you know? Craigslist can be a minefield of scams, you really need to be made aware before you interact there.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:39 pm
enneamom wrote:
How would you know? Craigslist can be a minefield of scams, you really need to be made aware before you interact there.

I'm not sure what youre trying to say. I wasnt aware and now I am. Life is all about learning from your mistakes isnt it?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 3:05 pm
Similar scam happened to me. Awfully violating and distressing.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 3:09 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Similar scam happened to me. Awfully violating and distressing.

Did you catch it on time?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 3:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did you catch it on time?

No I lost like $1200.
It should be a kapparah.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics