Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Is this concerning behavior?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 1:15 pm
Lately my two year old seems more anxious. He gets scared easily (scared outside at night, scared when someone makes a loud noise), he’s clingy and will start crying if I even go to the bathroom, and when we were walking outside he was taking the leaves on the sidewalk and putting on the street and saying “yuck” as if he was trying to clean it.

Are these normal behaviors for a 2 year old? No major changes happened in his life recently so I can’t pinpoint a reason for this new behavior.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 3:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lately my two year old seems more anxious. He gets scared easily (scared outside at night, scared when someone makes a loud noise), he’s clingy and will start crying if I even go to the bathroom, and when we were walking outside he was taking the leaves on the sidewalk and putting on the street and saying “yuck” as if he was trying to clean it.

Are these normal behaviors for a 2 year old? No major changes happened in his life recently so I can’t pinpoint a reason for this new behavior.

please, does anyone have insight?

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 3:35 pm
The examples you gave do not seem very concerning to me. Kids go through stages where they get more clingy and then relax. Idk about putting leaves on the street.. seems like a typical toddler style game to me...

If it is getting significantly worse over time I would be concerned but it has just been a week or two I would just wait for it to pass.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 3:44 pm
I'd also focus more on the behaviors more than on looking for a cause or diagnosis.

Make sure you're saying things like, "Mommy needs to go to the bathroom for a minute. You won't be able to see me, but I'll be right here! I'll be right out in a minute." "See! I'm out already! You can see me now! I went into the bathroom, but then I came out."

Rappel

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 3:47 pm
Seems normal for a toddler

oneofakind

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 3:50 pm
Totally normal . Child is maturing and understanding more so is becoming more frightened.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 4:13 pm
Is he home with you during the week, or is he home with a babysitter, out at a sitter/daycare during the week?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 4:14 pm
Check for strep.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 4:24 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Is he home with you during the week, or is he home with a babysitter, out at a sitter/daycare during the week?

He was home with me for a few weeks between day camp (which he loved going to) and playgroup. This behavior started while he was home with me.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 4:26 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I'd also focus more on the behaviors more than on looking for a cause or diagnosis.

Make sure you're saying things like, "Mommy needs to go to the bathroom for a minute. You won't be able to see me, but I'll be right here! I'll be right out in a minute." "See! I'm out already! You can see me now! I went into the bathroom, but then I came out."

I do this all the time. I talk to him the entire time I'm there but he literally cries until I open the door. My DH just tried taking him somewhere and he didn't want to go without me. It's so strange.

ChanieMommy

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 4:42 pm
Does he spend time with anyone else than you, when you are not present? If yes, I would check out that influence...

Children tend to become afraid of strangers and more fussy about separation just before they learn to walk, but that should be much earlier than two years...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 4:44 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:
Does he spend time with anyone else than you, when you are not present? If yes, I would check out that influence...

Nope. It’s just my dh and me.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 5:25 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Check for strep.
this

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:08 pm
Got him tested. It was negative. Doctor wasn’t concerned. I’m still unsure.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Got him tested. It was negative. Doctor wasn’t concerned. I’m still unsure.
ask for titers

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:14 pm
Did doctor do an over night strep culture not just rapid. Sudden onset of anxiety and new sensory symptoms sometimes can mean strep ... or did he just finish with being sick when these changes came on. Just keep note of changes and when and be on top of it. Sometimes it’s just normal development, but you as a mom knows when something isn’t right go with your gut
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics