Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Ushpizin (the movie)
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

mommy4

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 6:52 pm
I really enjoyed it.

I was just wondering if anyone noticed the part where the woman is singing without her voice, did any of you think it was a little lacking in tznius, her movements and facial expressions? I was watching it with my husband and felt a little uncomfortable at that point.

Bichlal, I felt there were lots of good lessons that we could apply to our lives.

imaamy

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 8:51 pm
I saw it in a theater with an Israeli who had already seen it on DVD in Israel. So it must be available somehow. I did think the lip sync part was a little odd. The smoking bothered me more.

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 8:56 pm
The DVD is available in Israel as the movie was released there long ago.

chen

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 9:05 pm
mommy4 wrote:
where the woman is singing without her voice, did any of you think it was a little lacking in tznius, her movements and facial expressions?

no, I thought it was funny! all I saw on her face was ecstatic joy and gratitude.

supermom

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 6:03 am
same here chen!!

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 29 2005, 8:27 am
Quote:
While shooting the Israeli film "Ushpizin," Gidi Dar's critically acclaimed fable about the power of faith, filmmakers adhered strictly to the rules of Orthodox Judaism, vetting the story with rabbis and declining to shoot on the Sabbath. But when two U.S. synagogues recently screened foreign DVDs of the movie, they ran afoul of Hollywood's own orthodoxy: to charge admission requires permission.

see full article:

http://www.latimes.com/busines.....enter

baby's mom

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 11:06 pm
I watched the movie last night and thought it was AMAZING!!
What a great and inspiring story, fantastic acting as well.
I highly recommend Very Happy

baby's mom

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 11:06 pm
and yes, I thought the part where Mali "sings" was bizarre.

Aish

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 11:05 am
I saw the film last night and I thought it was wonderful and amazing. and such a kiddush Hashem. we were portrayed as "normal" for a change. and it was so nice when the rav put such an emphasis on treating his wife well and just making her happy. he spoke about that in practicly every conversation they had.
I thought her "singing" was so cute and sweet. she was so thankful to Hashem for the money. and everything they did was in accordance with what their rav allowed.
for those that want info on when its coming to your town, go on their web site. also you can email them and ask them to make a showing in your town.

happymom

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 11:42 am
I saw it on dvd so I guess it is out..

Motek

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 11:43 am
it sure is out, is it legally out is the question

happymom

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 11:46 am
It didnt look like a copy to me. I Hope it was legal.

Aish

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 12:38 pm
the info on the illegalities of the pirating issue is on their web site under "important info from the makers of ushpizin". if they did not authorize it, it is against halacha. and a little while ago they had letters from rabbanim on the web site warning people that this is whats happening and NOT to purchase illegal copies.

carrot

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 1:21 pm
It is out legally. I know because someone I know bought it.

Aish

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 1:49 pm
carrot wrote:
It is out legally. I know because someone I know bought it.

legally? they sell them on cd rom. you can only view in on your computer. how do you know its legal and not pirating?

roza

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 2:04 pm
Can someone post a link where I can buy this DVD on the WWW?

Aish

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 2:26 pm
roza wrote:
Can someone post a link where I can buy this DVD on the WWW?

I don't think they are selling it legally, is the point here. go onto their official web site for more info.

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 2:31 pm
Quote:
such a kiddush Hashem. we were portrayed as "normal" for a change.

You put into words how I felt about the movie. This is the frum world we know, not how we are usually portrayed in the media etc.

imale

Post Fri, Jan 27 2006, 6:07 am
Let's not forget that this movie was made by Israeli's for Israeli's originally. Here in Israel frum people are weird, disoriented ,and primitive. Most non frum people who watched this movie were truly moved by the sweet couple who love eachother clearly, eventhough nothing physical occurred between them. The scene where they are both praying for a miracle definitely touched some hearts as well.
The actor ,Shuli Rand, is an Israeli favorite ,and being that he really did become frum in real life , the movie was taken on a personal level by many.

downsyndrome

Post Mon, Jan 30 2006, 10:57 am
I watched Ushpizin this motzei Shabbos on DVD - Israeli version, in Hebrew, with English sub-titles. My sister got hold of it for us. She watched it two weeks ago at the A TIME Shabbaton (unfortunately, she is childless).

I was extremely inspired. As a woman myself whose immediate and extended families have gone through tons of nisyonos, I was able to relate so well to Moshe and Mali.

May Hashem help us all to be able to deal with our challenges and to grow from them all.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics