Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Poll:how many times did it take you 2 pass the driving test?
Previous  1  2

Poll:how many times did it take you to pass the driving test?
1st try- in NY  
 31%  [ 51 ]
1st try - not in NY  
 21%  [ 35 ]
2nd try - in NY  
 15%  [ 26 ]
2nd try - not in NY  
 10%  [ 17 ]
3rd or 4h try - in NY  
 11%  [ 19 ]
3rd or 4th try- not in NY  
 5%  [ 9 ]
5th try - in NY  
 0%  [ 1 ]
5th try - not in NY  
 0%  [ 1 ]
6th or 7th try in NY  
 1%  [ 2 ]
6th or 7th try - not in NY  
 0%  [ 1 ]
8+ tries - in NY (please post number below)  
 0%  [ 1 ]
8+ tries not in NY (please post number below)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 163

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:52 am
I was in Monsey, so NYS but not NYC, passed on the first try. Sorry I chose the “in NY” option before reading.

My instructor told me it’s important to turn on blinker when pulling out into traffic right when starting the test, I totally forgot to turn the blinker off all the way until the next corner, I still passed. I also messed up parallel parking on the first try but just calmly asked the tester if I could try again, which is what my instructor also told me to do.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:19 pm
also in monsey, passed on first try with maximum allowed points. One more infraction and I'd fail.
Dh passed on his third try.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:41 pm
Passed on the 3rd time. I failed on stupid mistakes due to nervousness. In redhook (18 years ago). I felt they were looking for ways to fail people and not really testing driving skills. Im not a great driver but I know people who are great drivers who still failed a few times. I also know people who passed first time. It's not really an indicator of skill.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:13 pm
I failed twice in Staten Island, then passed in Coney Island.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:17 pm
I live in Brooklyn too. Failed twice in Red Hook, once in Staten Island and passed the second time I took it in Staten Island. Although I think the tester felt bad I was so old, he passed me anyway. bh I am a good driver..I too get nervous during the test!

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:45 pm
Oh I voted first time NY thinking you meant NYS. I took my test in the Bronx

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:50 pm
I passed on the third try. Here is my advice based on where I went wrong:
She should take the test in the exact car she uses to practice
She should take it in long Island not nyc
Take a deep breath before pulling away from the curb

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:50 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Oh I voted first time NY thinking you meant NYS. I took my test in the Bronx

The Bronx is NYC!

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a close relative who just failed her driving test for the sixth time (in NY). She's very discouraged and feels like giving up. I've taken her driving a few times and feel she's an ok driver - I think she just gets very nervous on the tests - having someone watch and mark her. I really want her to keep trying so am looking for stories to encourage her.

Also my dd is going to be taking the test (for the first time). Seeing this relative fail test after test is getting her nervous - so I don't mind also hearing from people who were able to pass on their 1st or 2nd try.

What mistakes did you do that you failed on? Do you think the driving test is an indiciater that your a good driver, or more what driving site and tester you get?

(In the poll I separated NY just bec that's where they are taking the tests)

Where I live, you have to pass a psychological test if you fail the driving test three times. I suppose you could not even try five or six times.

I would not encourage anyone to take this test for a sixth time. What if they pass and then have an accident?

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 2:02 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
The Bronx is NYC!

Op wrote that she meant Brooklyn

In any case apparently I’m blond and you’re brunette lol

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 2:09 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Where I live, you have to pass a psychological test if you fail the driving test three times. I suppose you could not even try five or six times.

I would not encourage anyone to take this test for a sixth time. What if they pass and then have an accident?

Seriously? The test must be pretty easy where you live, then. A psychological test?

Test anxiety does not a bad driver make. I failed twice due to terrible test anxiety. Finally passed on the third try.

My driving instructor told me that in all her years of teaching driving, there was only one student she had whom she thought should really not be behind the wheel. The rest of the students, even the ones who failed multiple times, got the hang of it eventually.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 2:10 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Op wrote that she meant Brooklyn

In any case apparently I’m blond and you’re brunette lol

She wrote that she's in Brooklyn, but that she was referring to NYC.

cnc

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 2:14 pm
In my days , red hook was supposedly a killer and we all knew to stay away .

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 2:50 pm
It took me 7 times and each time I failed was more mortifying than the one before. I get flustered by tests even though I was fine by every driving lesson. It was almost always parking that got me an automatic fail. I do agree that its not always about being a good driver but about being paired with the right dmv tester.
I eventually got my license at 21 and Im very happy that I stuck with it. I wish your dd and other relative good luck in passing it.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:42 pm
I took in red hook and passed on the first try. It did help that my tester walked up to one specific tester and said “ she’s good” wink wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics