Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Did your DD get her period earlier than you did?
Previous  1  2

Iymnok

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 7:22 am
I’ll know in a year Wink

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 7:22 am
I got mine late - I was 14 or maybe even 15.
One DD got it at 13.5 years old.
Second DD is now 14.5 years old, and has not yet got it.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 7:28 am
I got mine at 11.5 (the same as my paternal grandmother- no surprise, genetically I am very much from my dad's side of the family!) Dd got hers at 12.5. The same a my mother (and no surprise- dd is a clone of my mother's side).

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 7:46 am
zaq wrote:
PLEASE don't! It's none of your business even though you think it is. Would you appreciate your sil asking you such a question? In this case, maaseh imahot is not necessarily siman labanot, and even less so maaseh dodot.

What's the big deal? It's medical history, and I'd assume she has a friendly conversational relationship with her sil, and presumably they discuss parenting, etc together at times.
It's not like going to a stranger on the subway and asking. It's not like asking a random lady at the grocery for no reason. It's not like asking sil's s-xual history and preferences.

small bean

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 7:50 am
My daighters have not gotten their periods yet, I got it at 15, my oldest daughter is almost 14.

My neices (from my side) mostly got it earlier than their mothers, but inline with their fathers genetics. A couple inline with the mother. My husband only has one neice and was around the same time as her mother.

I have no ides why someones sils would be uncomfortable sharing this information.

polished

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 7:51 am
Can I just state. That every female gets a period (or healthy female).
And it’s a fact of life any nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about.
Some posts I find a bit difficult to understand Sad TMI

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 8:07 am
This is a big problem today. Early puberty in girls means early menopause and decreases childbearing years. It also causes short stature and many children are not reaching their full height potential because of this.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 9:13 am
LovesHashem wrote:
It isn't that our bodies are weaker. It's the the poultry, meat, and dairy are pumped with so much hormones and junk. I'm sure there's other reasons as well that puberty is getting earlier but this is the main one I've heard.
And plastics.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 9:29 am
I got mine at 11 but my mom at 16 Can't Believe It

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 9:32 am
If you have a good relationship with sil (or mil), I don't think there's anything wrong with asking but it won't necessarily be useful info, so you may as well prepare yourself to have a talk with your daughter. She'll start developing in other ways before, so you'll have some warning that way.

paperflowers

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 10:15 am
What would generations getting weaker have to do with getting periods earlier?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 10:20 am
giselle wrote:
Can’t imagine why it’s not appropriate to ask an adult sister in law when she got her period. I asked one of mine for the very reason being discussed here. I suppose it depends on the relationship you have with them, or if they’re the type to mind.

this. ofc I'd pick which sil to ask and ask it nicely and preface by saying they are in no way obligated to tell me anything. obviously, I only considered it cuz my sil are a certain type and can easily discuss a lot more personal things then this.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 10:25 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
This is a big problem today. Early puberty in girls means early menopause and decreases childbearing years. It also causes short stature and many children are not reaching their full height potential because of this.

oh shucks. so I got it early so my childbearing years are shorter?
is that scientifically/medically correct?

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 10:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
oh shucks. so I got it early so my childbearing years are shorter?
is that scientifically/medically correct?

There is a correlation, but it doesn't always mean that it will apply to every person.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 10:27 am
polished wrote:
Can I just state. That every female gets a period (or healthy female).
And it’s a fact of life any nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about.
Some posts I find a bit difficult to understand Sad TMI

Period shame exists, though. And it's hard to erase.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 10:28 am
I got mine a month b4 my 12th birthday. My older daughters got theirs at 13 1/2 an 14.
I wasn't surprised because my mother in law always talks about how HER mother was worried because she got her first period at 16. So I figured they had the later puberty genes. My next DD is 11 and seems to be developing more like I did so I'm expecting she may get it in the next year. She can't wait, she wants to be part of the big girl club I think LOL

onlyone

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 10:36 am
I got it at 11.5, and my daughter was 12.5. My mil voluntarily shared with me that she got it at 14. My almost 11 year old daughter is just starting to show some signs of puberty so I think it will be a while, I'm guessing 12.5 -13. When I was a child 11 or 11.5 was still early to get your period, and I'm glad that my daughter's don't seem to be following my side of the family. My mother was only 10.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 10:37 am
My daughter just turned 10. She is a lot taller than I was at her age, has big feet and may be developing breasts already (not sure if its fat/breast buds or combination). She isn't more mentally mature than her friends.
I bought her a puberty book and discussed it with her. She was a bit grossed out by the whole thing, but I told her I gave it to her early enough for her to process. I rather her get the information from real sources than try to figure out the truth from all the whispers and rumors.
I got my period at around 14, hopefully she wont get it too early.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 10:48 am
I got my period at 9.5 and it was very traumatic for me because I was completely unprepared. I talked to my oldest DD about puberty when she turned 9 just in case, although she didn't end up getting her period until she was 11. I plan to do the same for my other daughters when they reach 9 as well.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 10:51 am
It's very important for girls to know that it can be normal for it to be early or late. Being unprepared leads to trauma, and being under the impression that later is abnormal can cause unnecessary worry for late bloomers.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children