Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What can DS do to earn money? -- Update
1  2  Next

Rappel

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:33 am
Some context: DS is 4 and a half. His friends (aged 5 and 6) have been selling their chicken eggs and picked herbs around the neighborhood to earn their own money, and he would like to do so too.

I need ideas. It needs to not put more work on me right now, so he needs to be able to do it more or less independently.

When I asked him what he thinks he can provide the neighborhood, he suggested cleaning up houses. He is a very committed cleaner, and I would trust him in any of the homes on our street, but he has the abilities of a 4.5 year old. He also wants to crochet coasters, but -- although his crochet is precious to me -- it still looks like something the cat coughed up.

So, ideas please. It shouldn't be something which is worth more than 5 shekels a piece - preferably something which is worth 1 shekel a piece. It would be nice if it were something he could do/prepare with his friends, to make it social.

What would you suggest?

Last edited by Rappel on Mon, Jan 04 2021, 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total

BadTichelDay

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:42 am
My kids have tried to sell all kinds of things, like handsqueezed lemonade with sugar, interesting shells and rocks, sweets and marbles but it all kind of flopped ... Confused
They are not very motivated to DO things either.
So, sorry. No ideas.

banana123

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:45 am
Sew change purses, wash cars with your DH, sort recycling, clean up toys, sing to or rock babies, peel veggies, sweep porches or yards, match socks, take out garbage (depends where the neighborhood frog is), teach ABCs to neighborhood kids, draw pictures and sell them for half a shekel each.

Does any of that help?

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:47 am
I will try to think of ideas, but he sounds adorable!

Stars

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:56 am
Wow! I’m impressed.

Perhaps instead of cleaning houses he can have 1-2 specific jobs.

My 2-4 year olds can match socks independently and it would be AMAZING if I could have someone do that for me. I hate folding socks. They can also fold and put away my cleaning rags and the towels.
Some more things (not everything at once obviously) : sort clean cutlery into the correct drawers, sort toys into bins, pack away books, wash the windows and my glass table top, clear the counters, replace the trash bag with a new one, “help” cook (ex if there’s cookie dough they can roll the balls and lay them out in pans), put garbage in the trash can, put boxes outside for pickup (depending on your street setup you may or may not need to supervise this one), and more I can’t think of right now.

Do keep the jobs limited or he’ll burn out pretty fast.

Zehava

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 12:00 pm
I feel like we’re coming from different planets😂 in my world a four year old is practically a baby

piece

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 12:06 pm
make popcorn
sweep walkways

singleagain

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 12:16 pm
We had a neighbor who used to come over and ask my mom if he could sweep the floor for shabbos.

Maybe something like that

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 12:20 pm
Pick up the dirt from peoples yards or driveways. I mean like wrappers, soda cans etc.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 1:26 pm
Could he sell bunches of flowers for Shabbos? If you have a garden where he could (with guidance) pick the flowers first. A small bunch for one shekel, a large bunch for three? They wouldn't have to be very elaborate for that price.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 1:36 pm
I don't know what you have growing around your area, but when I lived in Seattle DD and her friends made bird feeders.

First we collected a whole bunch of pine cones. Then I got a big jar of cheap peanut butter, and a bag of bird seed. They sat outside with plastic knives, and shoved peanut butter into the spaces between the pine cone layers. (It was a very sticky, messy job.) Then they had a plastic tub, where they could roll the pine cones in bird seed until they were all covered.

I tied a long piece of ribbon around the stem end of the pine cones, and put them all in a basket. The kids went door to door selling the pine cones, and got a quarter for each one. Lots of people bought multiples to hang in their trees.

An hour later they came back with an empty basket, and 15 dollars!

It's probably a better project to do in the spring. Right now the weather is not right. You want all the migrating birds to leave the area, and if you put food out for them it messes up their instincts. Besides, the rain will ruin them anyway.

Still, something to keep in mind for the future.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 1:39 pm
Does he have a little wagon? Even a cloth shopping bag would do.

He could go door to door collecting bottles and cans that have deposits. That's 30 agorot each.

Mine are piling up by the door, and I keep forgetting to bring them in. I'd gladly give them to a little kid, and I'll bet other people would too.

Rappel

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:02 pm
These are some great suggestions! Thank you, ladies!

Metukah

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:31 pm
Zehava wrote:
I feel like we’re coming from different planets😂 in my world a four year old is practically a baby

I have found that Israeli children are wise and mature beyond their years.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:42 pm
A four and a half year old earning money?? I never heard of such a thing. 14 yr olds babysit, 9 yr olds make a carnival or lemonade stand but a 4 1/2 year old??? What in the world?

banana123

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:55 pm
Zehava wrote:

amother [ Beige ] wrote:
A four and a half year old earning money?? I never heard of such a thing. 14 yr olds babysit, 9 yr olds make a carnival or lemonade stand but a 4 1/2 year old??? What in the world?

Israeli kids, and especially yishuv kids, are different. Smile

BadTichelDay

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:59 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

I think it's an Israeli neighborhood thing. It's contagious among them. They see others do it and they want to do it too, even if they normally get pocket money or sweets from their parents. Probably gives them the first feeling of independence and having their "own" money even if it's just a shekel or two. And it's a game as well of course.
Mine started trying when they were about 5 or 6 years old and every now and then they have another go.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 3:01 pm
Lemonade stand, sell hot cocoa and baked goods, snacks

tree of life

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 3:07 pm
Out of safety do not let your son go by himself to any house he doesn't not no even door by door is unsafe to sadly
One thing you can do pay him to sweep floor etc etc
Tell him it's pocket money at 4half he should not be worrying about money

tree of life

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 3:08 pm
Out of safety do not let your son go by himself to any house he doesn't not no even door by door is unsafe to sadly
One thing you can do pay him to sweep floor etc etc
Tell him it's pocket money at 4half he should not be worrying about money
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics