Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How many bathrooms
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 1:44 am
Just remember. People used to have to to outhouses.

Also in the tenements, there was one bathroom for a few apartments in the common hallway.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 1:51 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
It may be interesting to note that OSHA standards (for adults working full-time in a building) are 1 toilet per 15 workers. Recommended numbers for rentals (for weddings, for example) are 1 toilet for 25 guests.

Nobody showers in those restrooms.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 2:32 am
It may be interesting to note that OSHA standards (for adults working full-time in a building) are 1 toilet per 15 workers. Recommended numbers for rentals (for weddings, for example) are 1 toilet for 25 guests.

Not only do people not shower there, as said above, but most people don't do their longer bathroom activities while at a wedding hall or at work. If possible, they try to hold off for home.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:29 am
We are a family of 5, soon to be 6 I hope, with 3.5 bathrooms.

When I was a kid, we had up to 6 people sharing 1 bathroom and it was fine.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 6:53 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
8 ppl, 1 bathroom. We make it work, kids learn to ask if anyone needs to go before taking a shower

I dont get how thos works. What if the toilet gets blocked? Happens occasionally here and we cant use it until the plumber comes...

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:07 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I dont get how thos works. What if the toilet gets blocked? Happens occasionally here and we cant use it until the plumber comes...

You go in the backyard of course! Totally normal and acceptable. 🙄

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:08 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:

That's what downstairs neighbors are for Smile

ETA doesn't anyone know how to use a plunger?

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:02 am
People are talking in extremes around each other instead of to each other.

Yes everyone can learn to share a bathroom and shower. We have 10 people 1.5 bathrooms and we are only recently feeling like we need more.

But if a child or family member consistently and repeatedly doesn't have access to a bathroom when needed, then that is a dysfunctional home. A bathroom is a real need. Some people feel it less and others more. If you don't (I don't) be grateful. I know people who need the bathroom every 20 minutes- it's both physical and psychological.
If kids need to urinate outside like animals or are being denied showers because the bathroom is full, that is a dysfunctional home.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:02 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
That's what downstairs neighbors are for Smile

ETA doesn't anyone know how to use a plunger?

Not a plunger. A snake.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:08 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Not a plunger. A snake.

How often do you need to call a plumber to use a snake?

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:11 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
How often do you need to call a plumber to use a snake?

You buy a snake and use it yourself.
If you're lucky like me, your pipes are shot and you need a sewer guy once or twice a year.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:13 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
You buy a snake and use it yourself.
If you're lucky like me, your pipes are shot and you need a sewer guy once or twice a year.

I guess Hashem takes care of us. I hope your pipe situation improves! Hug

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:24 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I guess Hashem takes care of us. I hope your pipe situation improves! Hug

Thanks. We bought some kind of insurance plan so at least if all of our underground pipes need to be replaced, we won't be paying for it.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:32 am
I know the kitchen thread was a big joke, and it was about not having to share toasters etc.
But the bathroom situation is unique because while we can share every other room, a bathroom is the one place where you need privacy. You lock the door. No one else comes in.
You can eat in the kitchen, but if not enough room, you can eat in many other places in the house. You can't do your bathroom stuff anywhere but in a bathroom.
I do feel sorry for large families who have to live with only one bathroom. Of course, it's all a matter of what one is used to.
We went from a 4 bathroom house to an old house that had one working bathroom. Our first point of order was to redo the bathroom. So now we have 2 bathrooms for a family of 9. It gets hectic erev Shabbos. But it would be very hard with just one bathroom.
I dont think its ok (almost ever) to tell kids to use the woods outside. This is a lack of hakavod habrios in today's day and age. Imho.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:42 am
I used to live in an apartment with one bathroom and 5 people. My nights revolved around the bathroom and shower. Our rule was that if you're showering and somebody needs the bathroom you close the curtain and let them use the toilet. Also, if you were pooping and somebody needed to pee real bad you paused if you were able and let them go. This worked because my children were youngish. Baruch Hashem, we moved and now have 3 bathrooms. I thank Hashem every day that we were able to afford to move and bathrooms are now a non issue.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:08 am

that is interesting. just realize that they r not bathing or showering in those bathrooms , which takes the most time

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:17 am
I honestly never heard of people going in the backyard until this thread. You wait your turn if someone else is in the bathroom, and if you're in there and someone is banging on the door, you hurry up and finish! All it takes is a little self control and consideration.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:27 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I used to live in an apartment with one bathroom and 5 people. My nights revolved around the bathroom and shower. Our rule was that if you're showering and somebody needs the bathroom you close the curtain and let them use the toilet. Also, if you were pooping and somebody needed to pee real bad you paused if you were able and let them go. This worked because my children were youngish. Baruch Hashem, we moved and now have 3 bathrooms. I thank Hashem every day that we were able to afford to move and bathrooms are now a non issue.

I was that 12 and 14 year old girl with the rule of draw the curtain so someone can use the bathroom. (We were 14 with 1 1/2 baths).
It was so violating.
And having the family "tribunal" decide how long acceptable showers were, or how long a bowel movement should take, and at what point I'm wasting everyone's time?

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:38 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Wow so beautiful that you are being dan l'kaf zechus my parents. They decided not to put on another one. They could have done it, but decided not to. As I mentioned before, some people in my family had bathroom issues and could be in the bathroom for an hour or longer.

Have you ever had to go run down the block while crossing your legs to use someone else's bathroom? I think I can decide if the situation was dysfunctional or not. And I am saying it was.

Ok, so this is the dysfunctional part. We had one bathroom, and when everyone was home it was 7 people. So 2 more than you, per bathroom. There was no such thing as taking more than five minutes in the bathroom, if you took longer you had to go out and wait for everyone else to finish. There is such a thing as bathroom etiquette you know!

When I got married and DH took an hour or so in the bathroom I was so shocked, I literally never heard of doing a thing like that.

(Also I guess we might have borrowed a neighbor's bathroom a time or two, but no, that's not dysfunctional either, it means we weren't rich - we certainly didn't think we were poor!).

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:42 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Ok, so this is the dysfunctional part. We had one bathroom, and when everyone was home it was 7 people. So 2 more than you, per bathroom. There was no such thing as taking more than five minutes in the bathroom, if you took longer you had to go out and wait for everyone else to finish. There is such a thing as bathroom etiquette you know!

When I got married and DH took an hour or so in the bathroom I was so shocked, I literally never heard of doing a thing like that.

(Also I guess we might have borrowed a neighbor's bathroom a time or two, but no, that's not dysfunctional either, it means we weren't rich - we certainly didn't think we were poor!).

My Husband lives in the bathroom. Like he’s there now for at least a 1/2 hours with no end in sight. He’ll do that 3x a day. I always tell him he needs to be more efficient but obv it’s an escapee for him
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics