Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
PSA garbage cans in bathrooms
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 6:59 pm
So.. that ladies can wrap up feminine products and dispose of them instead of having to take it out in their pockets.
So..that if I just go in to blow my nose I don’t have to waste a flush down the toilet.
So..that if I wash my hands and use a paper towel, I don’t have to clog your toilet to rid it.
And more..

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 7:02 pm
With lids!

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 7:03 pm
Yes, I keep one in every bathroom in my home and was disappointed to go to a simcha recently in a small hall and there was no garbage can to dispose a pad. I didn’t want to flush it! So I couldn’t change!

GLUE

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 7:15 pm
amother Violet wrote:
Yes, I keep one in every bathroom in my home and was disappointed to go to a simcha recently in a small hall and there was no garbage can to dispose a pad. I didn’t want to flush it! So I couldn’t change!

In the bathroom or the stall?

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 7:20 pm
I know, at home I have one in every bathroom and when I got to MIL there is nothing, and they live in an apartment so I always have to find a way in and out.
I don't know where they put it because MIL has had a few girls.

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 7:24 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
With lids!

Why? None of garbage cans have lids.

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 7:36 pm
amother Latte wrote:
. Maybe not in your country, but in the US they do. Many have pedal-operated lids so you don't have to touch the trash bin at all. Step on the pedal, lid pops up, drop in your load, step off the pedal and the lid drops back down.

As to why: so that odors are trapped inside, so that no one has to see your
mucus-smeared tissue or bloodstained whatever, so that the cat or the mice don't get into it, do that everything doesn't spill or all over the floor should the bin be toppled over, lots of good reasons.

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 7:36 pm
This is totally cultural.

In Ukraine girls and women feel comfortable emerging from the toilet, which is separate, throwing away their pad in the kitchen trash can, and then going into the bathroom to wash their hands. Sounds undignified? I thought so too. And then I got used to it.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 7:53 pm
amother Latte wrote:

All mine come with lids. Kitchen and bathroom.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 7:57 pm
have one w a lid in my powder room
rest of my bathrooms dont have lids

SingALong

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:00 pm
All of my bathrooms have cans. Not all of my cans have lids. I find the pedal often breaks and then you need to lift the lid with your hand. Also the garbage will touch the dirty the lid and it will need to be cleaned. I use small garbage bags in every can, gets changed daily.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:02 pm
amother Melon wrote:
I know, at home I have one in every bathroom and when I got to MIL there is nothing, and they live in an apartment so I always have to find a way in and out.
I don't know where they put it because MIL has had a few girls.

haha! my mil also didn't have a garbage can in the main floor bathroom. It would never dawn on her why anyone would need a garbage can in the bathroom?! I visit less because of it.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:04 pm
GLUE wrote:
In the bathroom or the stall?

There were only 2 full separate bathrooms. No garbage cans inside. I don’t know if there were any outside by the sink area but that wouldn’t help me. That’s public.

ittsamother

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:07 pm
I also always keep a garbage can in the guest room, lined with an opaque bag, so that guests can throw out whatever they need discretely, and tie up the bag before they leave if they so desire. (When I go away for Shabbos I always pack a few grocery bags in case they don't have a garbage bag in the room.)

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:07 pm
sequoia wrote:

In Ukraine girls and women feel comfortable emerging from the toilet, which is separate, throwing away their pad in the kitchen trash can, and then going into the bathroom to wash their hands. Sounds undignified? I thought so too. And then I got used to it.

Ugh. Nauseating.

So you throw out your chicken scraps whilst looking at someone’s bloody pad? How unhygienic! How demeaning to the woman!

And leaving bathroom without washing hands, with a dirty pad/tampon, carrying across house and touching kitchen garbage can to throw out?! Uuum… just no.

You can be the one to introduce the easy concept of using a small garbage can in the bathroom. Welcome to the 21st (or 20th) century.

Or don't.

Just because one is used to doing something doesn't mean its not gross and doesn't needs to change.

Yes, I can see it done in Ukraine and some other former communist block countries… Doesn't mean it should be.…just as many things there need to change with the times…

Always amazed at your life, Sequoia. You're a glimpse into the “other side”…!

Hope you are doing well and a gmar chasimah tova… As always, wishing you the best!

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:22 pm
sequoia wrote:

Sounds like a smell I wouldn't want in my kitchen. The same way I don't put dirty diapers in our kitchen garbage can. Don't think I'd be able to get used to that one. I'd probably start a new culture.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:28 pm
amother Oak wrote:
Ugh. Nauseating.

So you throw out your chicken scraps whilst looking at someone’s bloody pad? How unhygienic! How demeaning to the woman!

And leaving bathroom without washing hands, with a dirty pad/tampon, carrying across house and touching kitchen garbage can to throw out?! Uuum… just no.

You can be the one to introduce the easy concept of using a small garbage can in the bathroom. Welcome to the 21st (or 20th) century.

Or don't.

Just because one is used to doing something doesn't mean its not gross and doesn't needs to change.

Yes, I can see it done in Ukraine and some other former communist block countries… Doesn't mean it should be.…just as many things there need to change with the times…

Always amazed at your life, Sequoia. You're a glimpse into the “other side”…!

Hope you are doing well and a gmar chasimah tova… As always, wishing you the best!

I live in the u.s. no garbage can in my bathroom or mils or anyone else I know!
And if you come to my house your coment
amother Oak wrote:
So you throw out your chicken scraps whilst looking at someone’s bloody pad?

tells me you got it wrong you wrap it in tissue first! And put it under something else.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 9:20 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
tells me you got it wrong you wrap it in tissue first! And put it under something else.

Again, so you walk through house (leaving bathroom with!) a dirty pad/tampon (yes, wrapped) in hand, to kitchen where there is food, you open garbage, touch garbage, rummage and put “under” something in said garbage (to add to the smell in kitchen), then walk back to bathroom to wash hands or… wash said hands in kitchen sink… Oooookaaay.

Sorry… unhygienic, demeaning, unsanitary. Etc…

Why, pray tell?

So simple to put a small garbage can in the bathroom and let all have dignity.

Even if you haven't until now, maybe time to rethink it.

Or don't.

Just IMO of course.

Best.

coffee icecream

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 9:23 pm
And please be so kind to put a bag in the garbage can.

egam

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 1:14 am
sequoia wrote:

I lived in Ukraine for the first 30 years of my life. I have never seen anything like this. Every bathroom had a waste basket where we disposed our pads. Not everyone wrapped theirs, but no one marched with them to the kitchen either.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette