Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
What exactly does TAG allow and not allow?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:53 pm
My husband wants to take my phone to TAG for a filter. I just give up fighting. He won’t go to another filter place (website like netspark which I was looking into)

What exactly do they allow and not allow?

I am SCARED they’re gonna cut off YouTube and Apple Music, Facebook, Hulu and shopping sites.

It’s literally how I unwind at the end of the day. Literally all I do is watch recipes and funny videos.

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:00 pm
You could choose the sites you want to open when installing it. They give you a phone number to call, if a site is locked and they open it for you. They asked me if im aware what social media is etc, and that it's not the greatest thing, but they opened it up for me.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:02 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
My husband wants to take my phone to TAG for a filter. I just give up fighting. He won’t go to another filter place (website like netspark which I was looking into)

What exactly do they allow and not allow?

I am SCARED they’re gonna cut off YouTube and Apple Music, Facebook, Hulu and shopping sites.

It’s literally how I unwind at the end of the day. Literally all I do is watch recipes and funny videos.

It’s your phone, it’s your decision. You are not a child.

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:06 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
You could choose the sites you want to open when installing it. They give you a phone number to call, if a site is locked and they open it for you. They asked me if im aware what social media is etc, and that it's not the greatest thing, but they opened it up for me.

Thanks
Is it free or for a price?

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:07 pm
Maybe you could go too and talk to the tag people about what would be best for you?
Or call them?

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:07 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
It’s your phone, it’s your decision. You are not a child.

I give up fighting about this with my husband. He really wants my phone to be filtered just so my son can get into a good school

I’m numb right about now so it’s like whatever

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:10 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Maybe you could go too and talk to the tag people about what would be best for you?
Or call them?

He wants to take me along. I’m scared I’m gonna break down. So I’m torn in a way.
I have social media to stay connected to old friends and family who are supportive of my choices in life.

Are they pushy? I’m scared of the pressure

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:10 pm
I think it's about $12 a month.

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:17 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
He wants to take me along. I’m scared I’m gonna break down. So I’m torn in a way.
I have social media to stay connected to old friends and family who are supportive of my choices in life.

Are they pushy? I’m scared of the pressure

Two options:
Insist you're not going and give your husband a list of what sites you need to access.

Or go along and let them filter everything besides the basics, and then get the phone number and open what you need over the phone.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:33 pm
So my kids' schools require strict filters so I have things like YouTube blocked on my phone.
However, if you just need a basic filter, you can tell them what to allow/not allow. Some schools may require a certain level.

I dont think it's bad to have a filter. Then I have no worries if someone is using my phone if they'll "accidentally" go somewhere inappropriate.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:34 pm
Hulu will be blocked.
Shopping will be allowed if you ask but will skin will be covered with black ink.
Youtube may be allowed I don't know if it will also have black on the skin.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:37 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Hulu will be blocked.
Shopping will be allowed if you ask but will skin will be covered with black ink.
Youtube may be allowed I don't know if it will also have black on the skin.

Only some filters block skin color. Gentech does. I dont think netspark does.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:43 pm
You can tell them what categories you want to block. You can tell them you need access to social media, shopping, YouTube, Hulu etc.
I had access to Amazon but they blocked access to kindle, I called them and they opened it.
Right now I have images filtered so some are blocked and others the skin tone is blocked so it makes shopping harder. I can probably have them remove the skin tone filter but I just shop from my unfiltered laptop instead....
Most of my categories are open but web pages do get blocked occasionally. Usually it’s ok but there is a link to click to request it be opened.
I got my filter when my oldest started school. It is annoying and slows down the phone but I got used to it.

ETA: if you do get it filtered and are then having problems accessing what you need, you can always either call or go into the TAG office yourself and have them change the settings. Or even remove the filter (which my husband did for his phone).

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:46 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:

Gentech does but you can request that they turn off that setting.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:47 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:

I have meshimer and it does.

chili-n-cholent

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:12 am
I have gentech through tag and they totally customized it for me, I really wasn’t put under any pressure.
I strongly suggest you go down to them and discuss, they’re very nice about things IMO and it will help clarify exactly what categories you want blocked
And images don’t get blocked unless you ask them to

singleagain

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:13 am
I'm sorry.. but... Skin tone.. that's such a wide variety... How can you be certain everything will get caught?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:40 am
They definitely block a lot of sites, and they block all social media and forums by default (with no distinction between social media and forums despite their actually being very different things).

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 1:48 am
Thanks. What about apps that are already installed? Do they uninstall those too?

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 4:37 am
It depends which city you take it to.
TAG in Williamsburg will ask you where you belong and block everything that Kehilla/ Chassidus expects them to.
If you want any apps open you will need a heter from a Rav that it is Letzorech Parnassa.
TAG in Flatbush will only block whatever you request.
I don't know about TAG in BP.
Definitely go along or he will give you back a dummy phone, and every app you will want opened afterwards will be a runaround with them insisting they can't open it.
Or even better, take it to TAG in Flatbush by yourself, and just just tell your husband you got it filtered by TAG.
It's a bit too early to worry about schools for your son IMO since he is still so young, most people don't get make themselves crazy until they actually send in the application.
I definitely told this to to you before, it sounds like you are not on the same page as your husband with many things hashkafically and that's okay.
You don't have to keep bending into a pretzel and change who you are when you aren't ready for it.
Jewish women have a say in their marriage too.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics