Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
What exactly does TAG allow and not allow?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Siriusly?

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 1:08 pm
As I've mentioned several times, TAG is not a filter. It is an organisation that utilises several existing filters (NetSpark, GenTech, Techloq, etc) and installs them on customers' devices. They customise the settings based on the customer's desires, or the customer's mosad/school's requirements.

So to answer your question, "do schools accept TAG?", there's no yes or no answer. They accept devices that are filtered to their requirements, using any filter. They probably prefer if you go through TAG, since TAG has lists of each mosad's requirements and they trust them to apply them, whereas if a parent simply installs a filter (whether NetSpark, GenTech or any other), they have no guarantee that the parent has followed their rules.

Since your child is too young to be of school age, you cannot filter your device to your school's requirements as you do not belong to a school. Therefore, if you want your device lightly filtered, you can either install a filter yourself or ask TAG to do it for you, specifying exactly which categories, sites and apps you'd like accessible or blocked. If your only reason for filtering is schools, there's absolutely no need to do it now - you've just got to wait until your child is actually in a school, and then you can filter it to their requirements.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 5:08 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
I’m not sure Sad

It’s difficult.
I’m not complaining just saying it the way it is.
Sorry I’m not so clear just very tired. I only slept 3 hours

IF it would happen I wouldn’t know what to do. I can’t cut off my mother. She disapproved of me getting into Judaism the first place and when she realized I was very serious about living a Jewish life (when I left her home at 19) she realized how much I wanted it and made me happy! So she read up on it and understood my feelings about it and really made a full turn around. Last time when we went to AZ she mamash went out of her way every day driving 30 minutes to the nearest kosher grocery or restaurant since we eat that kind of food. She also brought us dishes. Compare that with me arguing back constantly I felt more lady like in skirts than in pants or shorts and she would insist I dress “normally”. Or when I’d hand her a book on Judaism she would make me return to the public library.

What would happen if she wants to see me on video call and I say sorry ma. I can’t use WhatsApp anymore cuz that’s what someone told me to do.

I’m scared of not honoring my own mother properly. She’s the only relative I have who I am now close to.
My sister will not speak to me bc of what I did. My brothers are too distracted with school. My dad is out of the picture since I was born and again when I realized he was just not emotionally healthy (alcoholic).

I know halachically she’s not my mother any longer but she’s the woman who gave birth to me at 17 and decided to stay by my side every day when I was in the hospital for 4 months because I was born 25 weeks instead of 9 months. She was just always there.

Sorry. I’m tearing up.

We can’t afford plane tickets every year for all of us to go to them. Maybe when I start working again it will be easier.

Honey, I think is the first time ever I teared up from an imamother post,
I just want to come over and give you a big hug and tell you everything is going to be ok.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 5:24 pm
Your life circumstances are the type that exceptions are built around. Even if your klal has a rule, a good rav (which it sounds like you have) will listen to this and say, "With this setup, this is allowed." He may recommend some guardpost rules to help you not succumb to the problems that can come with it and to not spread the use to others who don't need it. It will be a challenge for your dh to recognize that an exception in this case is what is warranted, but hopefully the rav can work with him too.

An example. I know a family that lived in a community in Israel that had specific rules. One was no TV (this was pre-internet.) The family followed the rule. Eventually, the husband's aging parents moved in to be close to them so the family could take care of them and be there. The parents had a tv, and it was important to them and for them. The rav was consulted, and guidelines were issued, and the tv was kept and used. It wasn't publicized, but nobody was ashamed. And occasionally, with the rav's guidance, someone else in the kehillah made use of it.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 6:02 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I disagree. I'm SO happy to be able to use my computer without coming across shmutz and garbage and not tzanua pictures just by searching for terms and names I need to confirm for my job. B"H for filters. I don't want to see that stuff.

This argument has been discounted so many times. I use my unfiltered computer 10 hours a day, and have NOT come across any shmutz or garbage. It only comes across your computer if you search for it. Once you do access shmutz on your computers, that is when you get the smart ads and search engine results following you around with the shmutz.

Bottom line - if shmutz appears on your computer, then someone used that laptop to search for shmutz.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 6:14 pm
H&F, I read your threads and I wish I could meet you in real life. You really need a support system in real life that understands your background and your goals in life. Navigating your community without having grown up in it and fully grasping the nuances is an enormous challenge. Having people who you can turn to and work out the big decisions you need to make is necessary in your position.
I hope you find the people you need to help you in your journey.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 6:20 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
This argument has been discounted so many times. I use my unfiltered computer 10 hours a day, and have NOT come across any shmutz or garbage. It only comes across your computer if you search for it. Once you do access shmutz on your computers, that is when you get the smart ads and search engine results following you around with the shmutz.

Bottom line - if shmutz appears on your computer, then someone used that laptop to search for shmutz.

This really depends on your definition of shmutz. On a brand new computer, you can get a lot of spammy ads that are designed to appeal to men.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 6:22 pm
If not for Adblock, I might still be offered p-nis enlargement ads (on my personal, unshared computer, which is owned by me, a cisgender woman).

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 6:22 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

BH
He has been a great help and it took a while to love Judaism the way I did the way I came out of the mikvah after my geirus.
He strongly told me to take on things I am OKAY with doing. I shouldn’t jump so far and too high because that’s the worst thing a convert could do.
For now I learnt about the importance of mitzvos and Halacha and it feels so different when you willingly take it on yourself and doing it with a full heart than doing things just like that cuz everyone does it.

A lot of people have transcendent moments in life (though this is extra special). It's something to hold onto, to aspire to, and to recognize that we're likely not going to be operating on that frequency 24/7.
Re the last paragraph, we should all own our Yiddishkeit, not just to do it because everyone's doing it. But OTOH, we still have to do. And we don't always feel that full heart, like I said, but we still have to barrel through and do it.
This is something that's discussed in a number of sources, possibly most famously Rav Hutner, zt"l, the concept of yemei ahava and yemei sina, the first being days when we're on and on top of the world, the latter when we're in ruts, and/or feel abandoned or neglected. It's a normal cycle.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 6:27 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
This really depends on your definition of shmutz. On a brand new computer, you can get a lot of spammy ads that are designed to appeal to men.

A brand new computer with spammy dirty ads is a first to me. I have 5 computers in my home, all purchased at different times. Other than Windows being installed, with some of the most basic programs, these computers were all a blank slate upon purchase. With the exceptions of Winzip, Mcafee anti-virus programs. Are those the ones you were referring to as spammy ads designed to appeal to men?

Cookin4days

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 6:52 pm
You only get sketchy ads when you’re on sketchy sites

Had my computer for years and I haven’t seen anything smutty unless you count ads for bikinis/lingerie which is probably my doing since I’ve most likely searched for those things

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 7:18 pm
My laptop and phone are filtered now but I used to get plenty inappropriate ads and I never searched for anything nearly related to those things. I even buy lingerie in the store not online so can't blame it on that.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 7:21 pm
Cookin4days wrote:

Had my computer for years and I haven’t seen anything smutty unless you count ads for bikinis/lingerie which is probably my doing since I’ve most likely searched for those things

I can assure you that I have never sought to enlarge any part of my body, yet I did get those ads on news sites on a new computer with a new Internet connection.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 7:21 pm
When you haven't searched for anything, you get generic ads, which are targeted toward insecure males.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 7:56 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Your life circumstances are the type that exceptions are built around. Even if your klal has a rule, a good rav (which it sounds like you have) will listen to this and say, "With this setup, this is allowed." He may recommend some guardpost rules to help you not succumb to the problems that can come with it and to not spread the use to others who don't need it. It will be a challenge for your dh to recognize that an exception in this case is what is warranted, but hopefully the rav can work with him too.

An example. I know a family that lived in a community in Israel that had specific rules. One was no TV (this was pre-internet.) The family followed the rule. Eventually, the husband's aging parents moved in to be close to them so the family could take care of them and be there. The parents had a tv, and it was important to them and for them. The rav was consulted, and guidelines were issued, and the tv was kept and used. It wasn't publicized, but nobody was ashamed. And occasionally, with the rav's guidance, someone else in the kehillah made use of it.

You think? I never bring my phone or take my phone out in places like willi or KY. I’ve had cards thrown at me by the little kids when I didn’t know any better so that’s why I’m verrrrrrrryyyyyyy hesitant to tell people *WHY* I need WhatsApp and social media. Never mind that I also use YouTube to look up Mexican recipes or recipes from El Salvador and kosherize them in my home and laugh at relatable videos.
The entertainment part is more hard to explain to someone who was born in that kind of life.

I only watch by myself, though. I do show my husband funny memes, like the one about someone taking out the metal tongs and clicking them before you use it lol and if someone doesn’t do that then I won’t trust them with my food lol.

So it’s tricky I guess.
Some of my friends in real life told me I should get a flip phone and leave the other one at home and use that.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 7:58 pm
Cookin4days wrote:

Yeh I get lingerie ads and underwear ads cuz I shop for those online. Never got anything dirtier than that

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 7:59 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
You think? I never bring my phone or take my phone out in places like willi or KY. I’ve had cards thrown at me by the little kids when I didn’t know any better so that’s why I’m verrrrrrrryyyyyyy hesitant to tell people *WHY* I need WhatsApp and social media. Never mind that I also use YouTube to look up Mexican recipes or recipes from El Salvador and kosherize them in my home and laugh at relatable videos.
The entertainment part is more hard to explain to someone who was born in that kind of life.

I only watch by myself, though. I do show my husband funny memes, like the one about someone taking out the metal tongs and clicking them before you use it lol and if someone doesn’t do that then I won’t trust them with my food lol.

So it’s tricky I guess.
Some of my friends in real life told me I should get a flip phone and leave the other one at home and use that.

Children threw things at you?

sequoia

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 7:59 pm
You guys met online!

Come on, this is ridiculous. You don’t have to justify yourself.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 8:08 pm
Cookin4days wrote:

Sketchy sites can be sites that have free services like to download videos or other free software.
They usually contain viruses as well zxual advertisements.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 8:44 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Children threw things at you?

Yep on a private bus to a wedding. I was calling back a prospective boss. I wanted to start working again in a home and kids started throwing cards at me from every direction, it was really nerve wracking.
It was all Yiddish so I couldn’t read it but the images I saw were burned into my brain. I think they’re called shomrim cards.

I’m still scared to even order an Uber...

Here people have all types of phones, and have no problems...nobody threw cards at me so far and really hope it doesn’t happen again! I also refuse to take out my phone at a simcha or something like that.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 8:45 pm
sequoia wrote:
You guys met online!

Come on, this is ridiculous. You don’t have to justify yourself.

Who met who online?
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics