Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Scranton Pa

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 11:35 am
Hi!
We'd like to come out to Knoebels for Sunday.
We're coming from Brooklyn, so we'll head out motzei Shabbos and stay at a hotel.
Can any imas from Scranton help me out?
Where and when is the latest minyan Shacharis?
Is there a cafe or somewhere to get breakfast? Anything else interesting to see or do in the area?
Will Halloween affect us in any way?
Thanks in advance!

doctorima

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 12:10 pm
Scranton has several nice chain hotels. We've enjoyed multiple stays at the Radisson, and there's a nice Hilton nearby. There's also a Sheraton. I believe at least one of the shuls in the area has an 8:00 shacharis on Sunday, possibly both. I'm not aware of any kosher cafes or restaurants there.

Scranton has an interesting coal mine, a pretty park (Nay Aug), a Harry Houdini museum (fun to visit if they're doing magic shows), and a big train museum. I wouldn't expect Halloween to affect you, as long as you stay at a reputable hotel with a secure parking lot.

Member shanie5 is the local expert, and you can PM her for more detailed info if she doesn't respond here.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 12:50 pm
Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately many of your suggestions are closed due to covid.
Would you have updated koshe food info?
Thanks loads!

sky

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 12:51 pm
Lackawanna coal mine was a trip my kids enjoyed a lot (only open now fri-sun)

Near knoebels are some small attractions

Gravity hill - you drive down a hill and lose perspective. Wouldn’t go out of my way but if driving by 2 second Detour

Centralia is another place I wouldn’t drive up special. But if passing through the history is cool. It’s burning underground. Town was evacuated. You can walk on old highway. Nothing to see really. But my kids like the history:story.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 1:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately many of your suggestions are closed due to covid.
Would you have updated koshe food info?
Thanks loads!

Kingston pizza in Wilkes barre is open Sunday afternoon. You can look them up online. Yummy food. Other than that there isn't any takeout/restaurants. The coop in yeshiva has some food but not sure of their schedule on Sunday since the yeshiva is having a major hachnasas sefer torah.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 2:28 pm
try calling Rabbi Itken of the shul called Ohev tzedeck on mulberry street he knwos alot of info he
can be looked up on chabad wen site

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 2:36 pm
Wow! That's beautiful! Would you know timing of the event and when and where the latest Minyan Shacharis would be? We're driving from Brooklyn and will be making a very late night.
Thank you so much!

shanie5

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 3:29 pm
Latest minyan is 8am.
No place in scranton to eat, though we do have a bakery with a hechsher.
and Krispy Kreme if you are not makpid on cholov yisroel.
Kingston pizza is 25 minutes away and usually open noon-8pm.
Knoebels will be decked out for Halloween.
Steamtown national historic site is open but with some limitations.
Aquarium is open.
Yeshiva co-op, our kosher grocery should be open too. Opens 9:30am.
If you want details of the hachnosas seder torah on Sunday. let me know.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 5:46 pm
Thank you Shani5! What's the name of the kosher bakery?

shanie5

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 9:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you Shanie5! What's the name of the kosher bakery?

It's called National Bakery. The breads are pas yisroel, the baked goods are not. (They are actually 2 bakeries in 2 locations, one makes the breads and the other the cakes and pastries. The bread one is pas yisroel, the cake one not. Both bakeries carry all the items of the other one).

It's on the corner of Capouse and Poplar. 1100 capouse Ave. Sunday hours are from 7am untl noon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics