Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Always been embarrassed to ask but…
  1  2  3  18  19  20  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:00 pm
In honor of the Mishnah in Pirkei Avos perek Bais - Lo Habyshan Lomed I’d like to start this thread so that people can ask practical questions that they’ve been to embarrassed to ask .
I’ll start- can someone give me the proper procedures of steps to begin and end shmoneh esreh?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:09 pm
The beauty of imamother - that we can ask questions we'd be embarrassed of irl (even if they're not embarrassing!)
I'm the op of this: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....68669
So I get it!

About shemoneh esrei - When taking steps backwards, begin with your left foot. When taking steps forward, begin with your right. I was taught that the three steps are as follows - First step halfway back, second step a full step back, then third step brings your foot together with the other foot. And the same way when taking steps forward.
Hope that was clear!

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:27 pm
Thank you. I never knew about the half steps and always had to do a little shuffle after three steps so my feet would end up straight next to each other.

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:31 pm
Ok
My turn , lol.
I havent been in shul in years but now that I have girls old enough, I started going..

What do we do by kaiser, after mussaf.)?
Which word do we bow down....

amother
Steel

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:37 pm
amother [ Lightyellow ] wrote:
The beauty of imamother - that we can ask questions we'd be embarrassed of irl (even if they're not embarrassing!)
So I get it!

About shemoneh esrei - When taking steps backwards, begin with your left foot. When taking steps forward, begin with your right. I was taught that the three steps are as follows - First step halfway back, second step a full step back, then third step brings your foot together with the other foot. And the same way when taking steps forward.
Hope that was clear!

Can I just say thank you! I totally never say modeh Ani I'm so ashamed! I thought it's for little kids in playgroup idk...
I saw the thread and had tears in my eyes. Right wing Ffb btw. Noone told me!!

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:41 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
Can I just say thank you! I totally never say modeh Ani I'm so ashamed! I thought it's for little kids in playgroup idk...
I saw the thread and had tears in my eyes. Right wing Ffb btw. Noone told me!!

So I always say it with birchos hashachar, but never knew if that was right, and being FFB also, I felt kinda funny asking! Heart

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:47 pm
What’s the correct order for cutting nails? For Those that hold that there is an order obviously Smile
I know it’s cutting every second one and then going back and doing the rest but from where do you start on each hand?

Also, what do you do with the match after lighting shabbos candles? Can you blow it out or what?

I’m chabad bt for reference..

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:48 pm
So I get it!

Hope that was clear!

This is not how I was taught to step for shemonei esrei.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:48 pm
My turn, what is the proper direction to turn by the end of lecha dodi, I know we face away from Mizrach, but do I turn to the left or right to get there?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:53 pm
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:
What’s the correct order for cutting nails? For Those that hold that there is an order obviously Smile
I know it’s cutting every second one and then going back and doing the rest but from where do you start on each hand?

Also, what do you do with the match after lighting shabbos candles? Can you blow it out or what?

Labeling fingers 1-2, starting from the thumbs, pinky is 5.
start with left hand ring finger, which I'll label L4
L4, L2, L5, L3, L1. R2, R4, R1, R3, R5

never blow out a candle or other flame. I wavy my match to get the flame out.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:54 pm

Nails I believe are 1, 3, 5, 2, 4- you’re not supposed to cut nails in consecutive order, if you hold by that.

I have a tea light holder that I put my matches into to burn out.

My mother actually just told me that you’re not supposed to take from an already lit candle to light another candle, even if a Bracha hasn’t been made yet. I thought it was only after the Bracha is made, but she said you should strike a new match if you didn’t finish lighting all your candles.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:56 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Labeling fingers 1-2, starting from the thumbs, pinky is 5.
start with left hand ring finger, which I'll label L4
L4, L2, L5, L3, L1. R2, R4, R1, R3, R5

never blow out a candle or other flame. I wavy my match to get the flame out.

I thought you’re not supposed to do both hands the same day?

Sprinkles1

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:56 pm

Right hand first- ב-ד-א-ג-ה (pointer, ring, thumb, middle, pinky)
Left hand ד-ב-ה-ג-א

About the match- there are diff. shitos. Some hold you cant put it out because you're mekabel shabbos as soon as finished lighting. Others hold you can bec. only mekabel once you make bracha.

Sprinkles1

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:57 pm
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:

Not supposed to do hands and feet on the same day

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:58 pm
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:

I believe you're confusing that; both hands are fine. We don't do hands and feet same day.

amother
Apple

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:59 pm
Am I supposed to bow by עלינו in rosh hashana davening?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 4:22 pm
This thread is exactly what I intended it to be !
If you were taught anything different , please share and tell us your nusach- maybe different ones have variations and others of the same can clarify.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 4:26 pm
So I get it!

Hope that was clear!

Your thread was my inspiration - especially after I taught my class Pirkei Avos . I thought this is a great week to ask ! Thanks so much !

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 4:31 pm
Washing Hand Qs:
Can I wash morning in bathroom ok or must be near bed?
Do you wash every time you use restroom? Touch hair? Shoes?
Can I wash outside cemetery/ far from graves on road and again at home or is once enough?

my mama

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 4:35 pm
amother [ Apple ] wrote:
Am I supposed to bow by עלינו in rosh hashana davening?

Bow a little less than you do for the other brachos.
Page 1 of 20   1  2  3  18  19  20  Next Recent Topics