Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Always been embarrassed to ask but…
  Previous  1  2  3 17 18  19  20  Next

mamaleh

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 4:29 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
wow im so impressed with this post.. OP you get big zchusim for this. I didnt manage to read all the posts but I have a kriah question I was too embarassed to ask.
Sometimes theres a shin in a word with two dots on either side. top left and top right. What is it then a shin or a sin? It comes up a few times in tehillim. I end up pronouncing both Can't Believe It

If it doesn’t have a different nekuda, it is probably a shin with a cholem (sho)

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 5:18 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
wow im so impressed with this post.. OP you get big zchusim for this. I didnt manage to read all the posts but I have a kriah question I was too embarassed to ask.
Sometimes theres a shin in a word with two dots on either side. top left and top right. What is it then a shin or a sin? It comes up a few times in tehillim. I end up pronouncing both Can't Believe It

It is a Shin (right side dot) with a Cholem (left side dot).

So it is pronounced “Sho” (as in ‘show’)

Loving this thread… kol hakavod.

happytobemom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:18 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
amother Zinnia wrote:
It is a Shin (right side dot) with a Cholem (left side dot).

So it is pronounced “Sho” (as in ‘show’).

It could also be a Sin with a cholam on the right side which is the nekudah for the letter before. Like in the word "oseh" - the right side dot is the cholam for the ayin, the left side dot is the dot for the sin.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:27 pm
I find them confusing too.

If the Shin/Sin has a nekudah, then it is a Sin, and the dot on the right is a Cholam for the preceding letter.

If the Shin/Sin has no nekudah, then it is a Shin with a Cholam.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:28 pm
Don't know if this fits here, but I always wonder why we stand to say tehillim, like when they say a perek or two at the beginning of a gathering.
(I don't think sephardim do this. I think I've only seen it at ashkenaz things.)

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:31 pm
I've always wondered why do we go to Kevarim? What's the purpose of davening to Hashem next to a Kever? Isn't He just as close in my living room?

YOUNGIMA

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 10:24 am
We daven by Kvarim and ask Hashem to answer our tefillos in the zchus of the person buried there. It's very important to direct the tefillah to Hashem and not daven to the dead person...

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:13 am
What do Chassidish girls do by the Mitzvah Tantz if they are a Niddah then?

Always wondered this.

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:14 am
Chosson kallah dance with a gartel, same as the other men who dance mitzvah tantz.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:15 am
yiddishmom wrote:
Chosson kallah dance with a gartel, same as the other men who dance mitzvah tantz.

I see all the time them dancing holding hands

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:17 am
You are saying that you have never seen a couple dance with the garter? That's because most couples aren't nidda at their wedding.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:20 am
yiddishmom wrote:
You are saying that you have never seen a couple dance with the garter? That's because most couples aren't nidda at their wedding.

Sorry, misunderstood. Thought you said that all chosson kallahs dance with gartel

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:21 am
How did tehillim become a book of tefillos? Who decided that sefer tehillim, above all the other books in tanach, was how we daven?

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:22 am
amother Ecru wrote:
What do Chassidish girls do by the Mitzvah Tantz if they are a Niddah then?

Always wondered this.

Its complicated

They try every way possible to be clean. Most go on pills 3-4 months before the wedding to manipulate their period around their wedding date.

pause

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 12:29 pm
yiddishmom wrote:

No, they don't. Chosson Kallah need to keep harchakos and cannot hold on to the same gartel.
What I've seen is that the chosson flanked by the two mechutanim dances in front of the kallah.

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 12:32 pm
[quote="pause"]No, they don't. Chosson Kallah need to keep harchakos and cannot hold on to the same gartel.
What I've seen is that the chosson flanked by the two mechutanim dances in front of the kallah.[/quote
Oh, you are right. Whoops. But I've seen chosson and kallah dance with a gartel. I guess that was just a minhag.

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:18 pm
Genuinely curious, not bashing at all:
Why do chassidishe women shave their heads once they're married? I thought the source for covering your head is from the story of sotah in the Torah, whereby you uncover the woman's hair so that she should feel embarrassed. Wouldn't shaving your head defeat the whole point?

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:21 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Genuinely curious, not bashing at all:
Why do chassidishe women shave their heads once they're married? I thought the source for covering your head is from the story of sotah in the Torah, whereby you uncover the woman's hair so that she should feel embarrassed. Wouldn't shaving your head defeat the whole point?

It wouldn't be MORE embarrassing to have your bare head uncovered? As I understand it, that is the reasoning behind shaving. A woman with a shaved head wouldn't dream of uncovering in public.

(Indeed, very few secular women choose to make such a fashion statement.)

bobeli

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:23 pm
I think it has to do with mikva, there should not be a knot or anything for chatziza. But I m not chassidish and I m not sure.

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:27 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
It wouldn't be MORE embarrassing to have your bare head uncovered? As I understand it, that is the reasoning behind shaving. A woman with a shaved head wouldn't dream of uncovering in public.

(Indeed, very few secular women choose to make such a fashion statement.)

Interesting perspective. Though the entire halachic premise for women to cover their hair is based upon an offhand comment in the Torah that you should uncover the woman's hair. Meaning, we take the words extremely literally, that if she was covering her hair, that must mean we are all supposed to have our hair covered. Which also implies, very literally, that we are supposed to have hair to uncover in the first place.
Page 18 of 20   Previous  1  2  3 17 18  19  20  Next Recent Topics