Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Biopsy in the nine days

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 8:34 am
I had a mammogram last week and they found something. They need me to do a biopsy and they had an appointment for during the 9 days or the end of August so I took the closer one.
I didn’t realize at the time it was during the 9 days (wasn’t thinking clearly) and now I’m concerned. My husband said it’s fine because it’s Friday and we won’t get the results until after tisha b’av (I’m assuming) we don’t really have a Rav we are close to that we could ask such a personal question at the moment since ours was niftar a few years back.
If we had to push it off it would likely be in September at this point. She said they didn’t say it’s urgent but I’m quite worried and would like to
Find out what’s going on in my body ASAP
Has anyone had this issue and gotten an answer?

Revafe

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:26 am
No advice just hugs. Hashem should grant you many many years of health and happiness!

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:28 am
100% I would do it as soon as possible. It's a very real risk of pushing it off and ch'v allowing the issue to get worse

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:36 am
I dont see the issue here. Why would you push off a medical procedure just because its during the 9 days?
Hopefully it will all be ok.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:43 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I dont see the issue here. Why would you push off a medical procedure just because its during the 9 days?
Hopefully it will all be ok.

If it were elective or not urgent and could be done soon after, sure, I'd push it off. But not if you couldn't get in right after tisha b'Av. OP, I think you did the right thing.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:47 am
PinkFridge wrote:
If it were elective or not urgent and could be done soon after, sure, I'd push it off. But not if you couldn't get in right after tisha b'Av. OP, I think you did the right thing.
im sorry but when would a biopsy ever be elective? 🤔

Mollie

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:48 am
Never heard of such a thing. Whatever it is, it won’t change because it’s the 9 days. Hatzlacha, percentage wise most of the time it turns out to be nothing to worry about, but I know it’s nerve wracking.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:01 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Exactly.
If the schedule was wide open, with no risk of missing a date, then there might be room for a shaila about pushing off 10 days. But not now.

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:04 am
Push it off. It's not even just the results. Every procedure has a risk. Also in one month, it probably won't change much. Sometimes it takes a month just to get a biopsy appointment.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:07 am
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
Push it off. It's not even just the results. Every procedure has a risk. Also in one month, it probably won't change much. Sometimes it takes a month just to get a biopsy appointment.

Probably or definitely? Yes, there probably are risks. But just because it can take a month doesn't mean one has to wait a month.

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:12 am

Seriously? One month can definitely make a difference if something is aggressive. Which in this case we absolutely have no idea about??

OP, most cases like these end up being nothing at all. Scans pick up 'chatter' all the time and biopsies are used to rule them out just in case its one of rare situations where something is serious. But amother Dustypink, do you really have the shoulders to bear the responsibility of someone pushing this off only to find out that they're one of the rare cases?? I'm curious if you have the medical knowledge applicable here, so much so that you're willing to risk someone's health.?

iyar

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:52 am
Not a rav (obv) but here to agree with everyone else. Have it done as scheduled. The procedure itself is only minimally invasive, you'll be fine afterwards, and I'm sure you know it most often turns out to be nothing.

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:57 am
amother [ Blushpink ] wrote:
Seriously? One month can definitely make a difference if something is aggressive. Which in this case we absolutely have no idea about??

OP, most cases like these end up being nothing at all. Scans pick up 'chatter' all the time and biopsies are used to rule them out just in case its one of rare situations where something is serious. But amother Dustypink, do you really have the shoulders to bear the responsibility of someone pushing this off only to find out that they're one of the rare cases?? I'm curious if you have the medical knowledge applicable here, so much so that you're willing to risk someone's health.?
One month does not make a difference most of the time on mammogram or ultrasound, and yes I work in the medical field. OP it depends what it looked like on mammogram or ultrasound, but if you're worried, why don't you call up the place you went to and ask to speak to the doctor about whether you can push it off for one month.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:08 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I has one. With one of the top breast surgeons in the country. There was an indeterminate lump, which sometimes grew and sometimes shrunk. She said she didn't think it was too concerning, but couldn't be ignored. We could either continue with monthly checks, or I could do a biopsy to settle the question. I chose a biopsy, rather than coming back every month, but she didn't push me either way.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:11 am

Results can change in a week, for sure in a month. I would mot push off a necessary medical procedure.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:15 am
Thanks everyone. She showed it to me and said it’s concerning. She doesn’t want to wait 6 months and check again she wants it checked out now. I was there for 3 hrs taking more and more pics and than for an ultrasound where they tried to see it better so I know she was concerned about it.
I know I have to do it but I’m (probably unrealistically) worried that the 9 days will bring bad news. I know in my head that’s not how it works and a few days won’t make a difference but it’s still on my mind that I’m doing the wrong thing.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:22 am
I had this same exact question. Rav said no issue doing the biopsy during 9 days. It was better to just get it done. The waiting between the imaging to the biopsy was hard enough, without postponing for any other reason.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:52 am
My friend had a concerning mammogram in late November 2021. She did a biopsy early December and it was found cancerous. Due to her insurance switching which hospitals were preferred at the beginning of the calendar year - she scheduled her surgery for Jan 4th. The tumor grew a large amount in those few weeks!
IY”H your result should be nothing dangerous but a few weeks chas v’shalom definitely CAN make a difference.
The Torah says ונשמרתם מאד את נפשותיהם - please don’t push off.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 1:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone. She showed it to me and said it’s concerning. She doesn’t want to wait 6 months and check again she wants it checked out now. I was there for 3 hrs taking more and more pics and than for an ultrasound where they tried to see it better so I know she was concerned about it.
I know I have to do it but I’m (probably unrealistically) worried that the 9 days will bring bad news. I know in my head that’s not how it works and a few days won’t make a difference but it’s still on my mind that I’m doing the wrong thing.

Even concerning, it could still very well be not that big a deal. BeH that's what it will be. But now I feel that much more that you did the write thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days