Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Are YOU fasting
1  2  Next

Are YOU fasting
Yes  
 38%  [ 65 ]
No-pregnant/nursing and Rav said not to this year  
 27%  [ 47 ]
No-I have a medical condition which precludes fasting -except for YK & 9Av  
 8%  [ 15 ]
Women don’t fast in my community  
 25%  [ 43 ]
Total Votes : 170

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:08 pm
On the menu for tonight thread, it seems as people’s husband’s are fasting, but they are not. Why?

Beingreal

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:10 pm
I am fasting ...this is a minor fast so a lot ud women don't.

Last edited by Beingreal on Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:11 pm
Haven’t fasted minor fasts in years. I can’t fast and work (not fair to my employer when I know I won’t function) and having 2 incapacitated parents doesn’t work for our kids either. 2x a year we do it. But I’m lead parent on minor fast days and that’s how we divide and conquer. I don’t know if my friends are fasting I didn’t think. To ask them

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:12 pm
I get migraines from fasting so I was told by my rav long time ago already that I dont have to fast the small ones and for 9 av if I feel a migraine coming on, I an break my fast and for YK if I feel the migraine I can do shiurim.
But other than medical conditions females over 12 in my community fast.

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:14 pm
I didn't fast. DH tried to fast but it's really hard for him to maintain focus when he is working. And he needs to do lots of thinking and everything so he mostly breaks minor fasts.

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:14 pm
pregnant but I didn't even think to ask my Rav because I never fast the minor fasts

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
On the menu for tonight thread, it seems as people’s husband’s are fasting, but they are not. Why?

I only fast on Yom Kippur. I don’t have a medical condition, but I am not a good faster and was told as a teen to only fast until chatzos on tisha b’av, and to do shiurim on Yom Kippur. As an adult, I was told to fast at night on tisha b’av and break as soon as I need to, even if it’s before chatzos.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:16 pm
I only fast to chatzos on a good day for minor fasts. And this year I am recovering from COVID, so nope.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:17 pm
I fasted until chatzos. I would normally fast the whole day but started feeling pretty sick last night after yomtov was over.

amother
Aster

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:17 pm
amother Pear wrote:
I only fast on Yom Kippur. I don’t have a medical condition, but I am not a good faster and was told as a teen to only fast until chatzos on tisha b’av, and to do shiurim on Yom Kippur. As an adult, I was told to fast at night on tisha b’av and break as soon as I need to, even if it’s before chatzos.

Who were you told by? Rabbi?

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:35 pm
I'm not because I'm nursing a two month old

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:37 pm
amother Aster wrote:
Who were you told by? Rabbi?

No, my priest 🙄 Yes, by a rabbi….

fbc

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:41 pm
I don't fast the minor fast days. I told my rav it's either me or the kids, I can't take care of all of us if I'm fasting. Tisha b'av I pushed myself this year, but I usually don't, I break when I need to (I try till chatzos if I can). Yk last year I was having a very hard pregnancy and was told to do shiurim. Haven't asked about this year yet, I get super dizzy and dehydrated when fasting, no matter how much I drink. I generally drink a lot.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:44 pm
Yes

basyisrael18

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:56 pm
Nope - nursing a 3 month old. The last minor fast that I did fast on was last Tzom Gedaliah, before I got pregnant with this baby (my first).

I WILL be fasting on Yom Kippur. And I did fast most of Tisha B'Av this year while 5 weeks postpartum - had to break my fast a bit early since I was pretty unwell.

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:58 pm
I'm none of the above. I'm not fasting even though women in my community do fast. I just don't feel well enough since I have kids, I'm too weak, don't get enough sleep, and work too hard, and I get severe migraines so I only fast YK and Tisha b'av.

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:59 pm
I'm not pregnant or nursing, and not fasting. No medical conditions.

I can only fast if I will be able to stay in bed all day. I cannot fast if I'm working. My job is very active-lots of running around, talking etc.

amother
Apple

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 1:09 pm
fbc wrote:
I don't fast the minor fast days. I told my rav it's either me or the kids, I can't take care of all of us if I'm fasting. Tisha b'av I pushed myself this year, but I usually don't, I break when I need to (I try till chatzos if I can). Yk last year I was having a very hard pregnancy and was told to do shiurim. Haven't asked about this year yet, I get super dizzy and dehydrated when fasting, no matter how much I drink. I generally drink a lot.

When I told that to my rov "its either me or my kids" before tisha bov, he said I should get more help!

Iv felt this way for years.

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 1:16 pm
I've been pregnant or nursing for the last 6 years straight BH. So haven't fasted even a full Tisha Bav in a long time. I do YK and that's it and this year because of preterm labor risk I'm doing shiurim all YK

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 1:19 pm
For those not pregnant/nursing, do the same rules apply to your DH?
If he gets migraines or has an active job or needs to watch the kids, does the same rule apply?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note