Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Have you ever won a raffle?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:40 pm
Just curious have you ever won a raffle? What did you win? How many tickets did you put in for the prize that you won?
I believe that there a those who win often and those who never win…curious what others think…

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:43 pm
Do you mean Chinese auction?
If so, yes. BH I win all the time. Several times a season usually. I only ever do one ticket per prize.

I spend a lot of my tzedakah money on auctions.

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:43 pm
I always felt that way with a bit of sadness until yes I did win. I won $10,000 from a tzedakah organization. The ticket I believe cost around $160.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:44 pm
I won a used IV bag at my clinical placement for nursing school. Someone else won a new one but since I’d misplaced mine, I was happy even with the used. Five people in the draw.

Seriously though, I decide how much I want to donate to Oorah every year and then buy tickets accordingly. I don’t gamble to win, it’s a fun side effect of donating in this way.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:46 pm
Bli ayin hara poo poo poo I've won a lot of Chinese auctions. Never bought more than one ticket per prize. I think the secret is to give a lot of tzedakah. I buy tons and I don't really count it as my maaser like I just go over.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:56 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I won a used IV bag at my clinical placement for nursing school. Someone else won a new one but since I’d misplaced mine, I was happy even with the used. Five people in the draw.

I should clarify that the bag was used to show us how to put an IV together and not actually used for a patient.

Seriously though, I decide how much I want to donate to Oorah every year and then buy tickets accordingly. I don’t gamble to win, it’s a fun side effect of donating in this way.

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 9:00 pm
I won a computer station

Mom won demostic flight tickets
Room makeover

All in popular auctions.

My uncle won split the pot in a huge auction too...

I know someone that won family package of 6 round trip Israel...

keeptrying

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 9:13 pm
I won a subscription to a few magazines at a Chinese action

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 9:20 pm
I've won a few things at small local chinese auctions. I think the highlight of my life so far was when I won a gameboy in the local thing when I was about 11, and it was the newest new thing that gameboys were now in color, I honestly don't know if anything has been that exciting since Laugh

I also won some blog sweepstakes, which is tricky because that gets addictive. Just a couple of clicks to enter and hey you never know. Nothing super major but a couple of times I won things that saved me some money from buying myself, such as a car seat when I had a baby. I don't do much of that anymore because even though each one takes a couple of clicks, it's too easy to fall down an internet rabbit hole one link after another. But if I happen to see one when I'm anyway looking for product reviews or something, sure, why not.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 10:01 pm
I won a freezer-filled with frozen food.
I won a dryer (or rather an appliance that I was able to switch for a dryer)
I once one a rocking chair that I really wanted but hadn't put in a ticket for. Turns out a friend had my kids put in a ticket for me.

These were all in our small town local chinese auctions.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 10:01 pm
I won a few in local auctions. It’s always fun to win!

Gift card to maternity store (have a feeling not too many people entered since the lists go out to the whole school of who won everything)

Shabbos package
Wash and sets
Custom cookies
Cookbook
Lucite containers

My kids won me a skirt at a learning program, not my style and a random size

A watch

A gift card to a sefarim store

zigi

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 10:17 pm
I put one ticket in every box, I won 2 prizes

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 10:52 pm
I won 30 Jewish Childrens books

happyone

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 10:53 pm
No. I never won, neither did anyone I know. Some people have luck. Some believe auctions are rigged. Regardless,when I donate its for tzedaka only. Winning would be super cool though!

amother
Aster

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 12:57 am
One of my relatives entered a sweepstake at the bowling alley and won a Jeep Cherokee. They thought it was junk mail when they got the letter that he won. But they sent it registered mail so they called to check and it was real. He had to sell it to pay the taxes which was a huge amount cause he was 17. But he bought a cheap second hand car and was left with a nice amount of money.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 1:06 am
I won a daybed with nice linen
a vitamin store package
a trip to kerestir
a beautiful sheitl

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 1:27 am
Put one set of tickets into the prize… and won the family trip to Israel

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 1:30 am
amother Snapdragon wrote:
I won a freezer-filled with frozen food.

BEST PRIZE EVER

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 1:33 am
I won one prize and I didn't even use it. We put in a ton of tickets because we had tzedekah money and we thought that it was a good cause. Well we wanted the tickets to Israel and we had a newborn and they had to be using a certain amount of time so we gave them back. I've never won anything since. I always get optimistic and think I'm going to be the one that's going to win and I never do. Actually now that we are financially the better place we even stop donating to the Raffles because we feel like we don't need to win but somehow I kind of want to sometimes just for the fun of it. That there's just something about giving tzedekah and that's the reward. But every once in awhile I do buy some tickets especially if it's kids selling something and I wouldn't donate any other way and my hopes are still up that I'll win. There's something special about when they call your name. I actually think I want a bag of popcorn once in high school that was pretty exciting too and no I'm not kidding. There's just something really fun about it which is why all these people do these Raffles because they know that we might give more than we would normally or give at all.

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 5:00 am
My mother won 20,000$ from Alef Institute Chinese auction.
She has no connection to them so I know that it was obviously not rigged.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics