Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Would you stop keeping CY because of money?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Frumme

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
We can’t eat nuts because of allergies , some of my kids don’t like beans, chicken and meat is too expensive, what food does that leave us with?

You should look through threads on this site about pareve and inexpensive meals! Lots of good ideas using tofu, vegan meat, lentils, chickpeas, eggs etc, even if they don't like beans maybe they'll eat refried beans or bean burgers etc.

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:22 pm
Highstrung wrote:
No. My rav actually was the one that told my DH that it was really no big deal to change. It’s important to understand all the details of Cholov Stam. Many people who switch from CY to Cholov Stam don’t know the nuances and the halachos around it and some end up eating non kosher cheese because they think it’s a free for all and eat everything. But a person that knows the halachos , are following Halacha and they are doing absolutely no wrong.
I know that in certain circles they equate Cholov Stam to Chazer Fleish , but that’s a misunderstanding.

Don’t say that like it’s fact
It’s not so simple like you make it
Most rabbonim hold it’s not such an easy thing to allow to stop

keym

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:25 pm
I'm going to go under my screen name.

I would.
I have experience with food allergies, picky eaters, and oot.
I would buy milk, yogurt and cheese for the kids chalav stam. I wouldn't want to be in a situation where my kids nutrition was being scrimped on. Especially since the Rav already said yes.

Personally, I would probably refrain from chalav stam ice cream, chocolate and other such treats that aren't nutritionally necessary by any stretch so that iyh when finances improve, I can easily go back to chalav Yisroel.

Last edited by keym on Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:26 pm
When we moved OOT and asked if we could stop, our rav (OOT yeshivish maybe some would say RWMO) said it's a special thing and we should try to continue! So far we've been able to! I feel like we're getting a lot of s'char because especially OOT, it's definitely an added expense plus lots of products (such as ice cream) are simply not available.
Ask your LoR Smile

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:26 pm
amother Iris wrote:

This is just simply not true, never heard this. I'm in the litvish world, maybe the Chassidish world is different.

amother
Maple

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:27 pm
amother Iris wrote:

She starts by saying MY RAV said. Implication being ask yours

effess

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:28 pm
I would not.
Especially that my husband is not comfortable with it.
I also live oot
Yogurt is a once a month treat.
Rice milk is king
Hashem has his cheshbonos. Changing how you do a mitzvah is no guarantee for better finances.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:32 pm
Just saying, there is a pretty good source for eating chalav stam in America.

People are acting like she wants to start eating at McDonald’s to save money.

Highstrung

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:33 pm
amother Iris wrote:

I did my diligence by asking our rav who told my DH that he should switch. (I did not share here the reason for the switch) . My rav said that my DH had to be matir neder . I never said that it’s “fact”. It’s a fact for ME that MY rav paskened OUR shailah. That’s why each person that has such questions needs to ask. My point is , under certain circumstances, it’s not as complicated as we may think. And by the way, I and my kids all keep CY even though DH doesnt. I don’t have the issue DH had , that made him ask in the first place.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:54 pm
Is WIC an option by you?
They give so so much milk. I get 8 gallon a month. This is for myself, baby under a year and a child.

I wish I can share with OP.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:54 pm
amother Daphne wrote:
When we moved OOT and asked if we could stop, our rav (OOT yeshivish maybe some would say RWMO) said it's a special thing and we should try to continue! So far we've been able to! I feel like we're getting a lot of s'char because especially OOT, it's definitely an added expense plus lots of products (such as ice cream) are simply not available.
Ask your LoR Smile

I feel like somebody who is eating rice and beans is in a different category....

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:58 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
I feel like somebody who is eating rice and beans is in a different category....

I agree with you. The details are totally different than my anecdote. I think she needs to ask a qualified LOR and provide the personalized details of her unique situation.

Much hatzlacha!

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:59 pm
amother Beige wrote:
Is WIC an option by you?
They give so so much milk. I get 8 gallon a month. This is for myself, baby under a year and a child.

I wish I can share with OP.
When I had extra Wic milk I sent coolers of it to my relatives out of town Smile if you have extra then ask around, I’m sure there are people with out of town relatives who would gladly take it.

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 6:01 pm
why not switch to a cheaper non dairy option for milk? I know you can't do allond because of allergies, but soy, rice, oat are all good options.

The Costco by us sells CY shredded cheese in the big packages for under $9

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 6:21 pm
amother Iris wrote:

Just like it’s “not fact” that it’s not a big deal, it’s also “not fact” that it is. There are those who hold it is a big deal to eat cs and those who hold it’s not. Neither way is more right. Although you wouldn’t know that from some of the posts here.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:37 pm
I did for financial reasons. The rav we asked said it isn't ideal but it's our choice. Cheese, yogurt and milk add up. And if I ever wanted ice cream and chocolate it was 2-3x the price. It saved us a lot and we were able to buy it anywhere. I also live out of town so the one frum grocery store can charge a fortune for CY stuff, nowhere else to buy.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:54 pm
amother Maple wrote:
It’s such a scam that CY milk doesn’t come in gallon containers. Non CY, non OOT gallon of whole milk is about $4.50 (and I live in an expensive neighborhood)

Of course CY milk comes in gallon containers too. Some out of town stores only sell the half gallons, but pride of the farm for one comes in both.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:56 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Of course CY milk comes in gallon containers too. Some out of town stores only sell the half gallons, but pride of the farm for one comes in both.

Maybe I’m just missing it, but I don’t remember ever seeing CY milk in gallon containers.

amother
Maple

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:00 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:

My bad. Pride of the farms is not sold where I live (Manhattan) or shop (Brooklyn) unless I just never noticed it

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:01 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Just like it’s “not fact” that it’s not a big deal, it’s also “not fact” that it is. There are those who hold it is a big deal to eat cs and those who hold it’s not. Neither way is more right. Although you wouldn’t know that from some of the posts here.

Nowadays there are some Kashrus concerns with non-CY, for example DA cows.
https://oukosher.org/publicati.....t-ii/

And note that the heter for cholov stam does NOT apply to cheese.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics