Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
No point in Poems/ lines Requests

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 9:24 pm
Anyone else get really turned off when people want others to write a thank you note for them?

Notes are meant to be from the heart.
From one person to the other.

Asking someone to write one defeats the purpose imo.

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 9:31 pm
That’s a bit ridiculous. Some people can’t write and it’s perfectly fine to get help to thank someone. Why is everyone on this site so judgemental and busy making rules that are impossible to live by. Just stop already.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 9:34 pm
I hear that, but some people really struggle with putting their emotions into words.

Is there really a difference between feeling something and using someone else's words to show the other person how you're feeling, or specifically coming up with those words yourself?

Of course if someone writes you a flowery thank you letter and you're really feeling like saying "you messed me over big time, and now I have to pretend to be grateful" then it's misleading, but if you're overflowing with gratitude to your teacher and someone else wrote a sweet verse that says exactly what you're thinking, why is that so bad?

I do think that wanting it to be davka a poem is not wise, because writing good poetry is a more rare skill than eloquence in expression, and your point can be lost in the bad verse.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 9:41 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
That’s a bit ridiculous. Some people can’t write and it’s perfectly fine to get help to thank someone. Why is everyone on this site so judgemental and busy making rules that are impossible to live by. Just stop already.

No one's making rules. It's fine to give guidance in writing a nice thank you note. As in, thank the person for the good or service, give an example of how you used (or will use) or appreciated it, and close with a wish for the future.

But why the RW frum world thinks rhyming is the ideal way to express yourself is just beyond me. Rhymes are frivolous. They're best reserved for Purim and kindergarten plays. Of course people can do whatever they want. And I can see rhyming as juvenile.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 9:41 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
I hear that, but some people really struggle with putting their emotions into words.

Is there really a difference between feeling something and using someone else's words to show the other person how you're feeling, or specifically coming up with those words yourself?

Of course if someone writes you a flowery thank you letter and you're really feeling like saying "you messed me over big time, and now I have to pretend to be grateful" then it's misleading, but if you're overflowing with gratitude to your teacher and someone else wrote a sweet verse that says exactly what you're thinking, why is that so bad?

I do think that wanting it to be davka a poem is not wise, because writing good poetry is a more rare skill than eloquence in expression, and your point can be lost in the bad verse.

Because the other person isn’t writing what the first person is thinking.
Most of the the requests are very vague, and hardly give any information what should be written.

Especially when asking a stranger on imamother, who doesn’t even know the recipient.

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 9:45 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
No one's making rules. It's fine to give guidance in writing a nice thank you note. As in, thank the person for the good or service, give an example of how you used (or will use) or appreciated it, and close with a wish for the future.

But why the RW frum world thinks rhyming is the ideal way to express yourself is just beyond me. Rhymes are frivolous. They're best reserved for Purim and kindergarten plays. Of course people can do whatever they want. And I can see rhyming as juvenile.

That’s a weird statement. My rw world doesn’t use poems ever. You think a few posters on here represent thousands of people? I have news for you they don’t even represent that demographic in here.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 9:46 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
That’s a weird statement. My rw world doesn’t use poems ever. You think a few posters on here represent thousands of people? I have news for you they don’t even represent that demographic in here.

Fair enough. I didn't mean that everyone does it, only that it's not something I've seen anywhere else. I don't know anyone outside the RW world who would even think of rhyming.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 9:59 pm
I think it's sweet. They want to say thank you

Also, they are probably changing it a bit before sending

salt

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 10:16 pm
Now you have Chat GPT to do it for you anyway Smile

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 10:33 pm
Usually I do that well. This year, I was sitting over the empty card for the teachers, completely blank. I could not bring my feelings into words...
I kept coming back to it daily for a while, until I wrote some simple words, which I don't think expresses my gratitude anough.
Some people just have a knack for writing well. I can tell them what I'd like to say and they express it well on the paper.

Regarding poems- some people do it so well that it's sweet to read, more than some simple words.
I always did rhymes and my words were better expressed than now in simple words...

singleagain

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 3:07 am
If people could always put what they felt into words then hallmark would be out of business
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club